Alaska - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 04:01 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Are there many Alaskans here? I have a question!
#3 Old 05-13-2003, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

ME ME ME!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-13-2003, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to live in alaska! for four years! it was great!!! i miss alaska...
#5 Old 05-14-2003, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Really? When? Where? Are you coming to visit soon?
#6 Old 05-14-2003, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Terra, do you remember hearing about a bill that govt wanted to pass about wolf culling...? I'm foggy on the details but the people spoke and the bill wasn't passed...? It was maybe a year or two ago?

Maybe I'll see if I can find the details...
#7 Old 05-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Here one excerpt taken from the Anchorage Daily News ( http://adn.com ) on April 24th, just this year.

Some rural lawmakers have been upset about wildlife initiatives that made it on the ballot primarily because of signatures from urban voters.

For example, in 1996, voters banned land-and-shoot wolf hunting. After the Alaska Legislature tinkered with the law in early 2000 in an attempt to grow more moose by having more wolves killed, voters approved another ballot measure that reiterated opposition to same-day airborne hunting.

Supporters of the land-and-shoot ban say that Fairbanks Republican Sen. Ralph Seekins is now trying to overturn voter intent with a bill that would make it easier for the Alaska Board of Game to authorize airborne predator control programs. But, as a result of bills that passed after the original 1996 land-and-shoot initiative, state officials say the Game Board, with agreement of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, can already allow private airborne hunting under certain circumstances. Seekins' bill just streamlines the process, they say.

But Joel Bennett of Juneau, a representative of the Defenders of Wildlife and a former Game Board member, charges that the Seekins bill "is the latest in a pattern of legislative erosion of the ... initiative against land and shoot."

Meanwhile, the governor is seeking to repeal parts of a 1996 campaign finance reform law that was adopted by the Legislature as a result of citizens' ballot initiative. The bill, supported by the Alaska Public Offices Commission, would double the legal limits on individual campaign contributions -- from $500 to $1,000 -- and allow lobbyists to contribute to the election campaigns of candidates outside their districts. The Senate state affairs committee has passed the proposal, which the Alaska Public Interest Research group calls a betrayal of the citizens' wishes.

Another law adopted by the Legislature last year under pressure from a citizens' initiative spurred by the AFL-CIO was an increase in the state's minimum wage. There is now an effort, led by Anchorage Republican Rep. Norm Rokeberg to allow businesses to pay anyone younger than 20 less than the minimum wage for the first three months after an employee is hired. The AFL-CIO is fighting it.

Reporter Sean Cockerham can be reached at 1-907-586-1531 or [email protected].

Here is a link to that story

http://www.adn.com/legislature/story...-3028807c.html

...and a link to a story in last Sunday's paper where our new Governer says NO!

http://www.adn.com/legislature/issue...-3124664c.html

But, as you can see, it still is an issue here.
#8 Old 05-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks so much Terrafae!
#9 Old 05-14-2003, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

ive always wanted to go to alaska wanted to move their too !

HOws the weather ?
#10 Old 05-15-2003, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Right now it's feeling warm and springy in the 50's/60's with cooler nights. This winter was really goofy, not enough snow and 60 degrees for almost a week in February! In general though, I find it to be alot like the midwest. Colder than MI, but warmer than MN. What's great here though, is that people don't slow down come winter, they just pull on the bunny boots and go play! I'd much rather have snow to go with the cold than just cold and yuck! Summer's are awesome. It gets hot, but not so much that your gasping for air after walking to your car! If you ever get up here for a visit, let me know, I'll give you the grand tour!
#11 Old 05-15-2003, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

terrafae i don't think i'm visiting anytime soon :-( but i lived in kodiak for 4 years. after that i lived in MI and now i'm here in MA. i've been all over the place, in fact (before AK it was CT, then IN, then TX.)
#12 Old 05-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I was in Kodiak in '89! My son was born there. I just moved here in '01 from MI and I grew up in MN.
#13 Old 05-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I lived in Ketchikan for 3 summers. The first two summers I was there, I worked in a salmon cannery. Obviously, this was in the pre-veg days. It was pretty gruesome. The third summer I waited tables and made the same kind of money, without the stench. I loved it up there! the mountains, the trees, the oceans... I should dig up some photos....

TerraFae, where exactly are you?

I was just talking to a friend of mine a few minutes ago who lives in Nome but is attending school here. sounds like a nice balance to me!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#14 Old 05-16-2003, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Anchorage. I'm loving it!
#15 Old 05-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
ive always wanted to go to alaska wanted to move their too !

HOws the weather ?

Depends on what part you're interested in. A lot of people don't appreciate just how big the state is. Most U.S. maps show us in a little box, right next to Hawaii. Actually, if overlaid on a map of the lower 48, Alaska would stretch from the Minnesota to Georgia to California, with just as many distinct climates.

MAP

I've lived in most of them in the last 20+ years.
#16 Old 05-19-2003, 08:46 PM

I live in Anchorage. (Hi Terrafae). There are times I love living here and other times I daydream about packing up my son and my critters and driving as far away from here as my money will take me ;0) The winter and darkness gets to me, I suppose. Also, I miss being able to hop in the car and go to different places, like I could in the L48. Hello all :0)

We are having an amazing Spring, so far. Beautiful, beautiful weather. From what I have heard, it is warmer here than it is in many places on the East Coast! That is how the winter was, as well. Guess I shouldn't take off just yet ;0)
#17 Old 05-20-2003, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm...yeah, I do miss being able to drive to the next state in an hour, although driving up here from MI was an awesome experience!
#18 Old 05-20-2003, 03:14 PM

I guess the key is to work for the airline, so you can fly to other states when you need a little change of scenery. You get the buddy passes, too- so you can get your friends out. Strangely, though- all the people I know that work for the airlines never take advantage of their flying benefits....
#19 Old 05-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I need a flight to Atlanta STAT!! Must...make it...to...gathering!

(sorry.....I need sleep too....TOO MUCH STRESS! Aaaagghh!)
#20 Old 05-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

WOW! I drove from alaska TO mi terrafae! how did you go, through Canada or through the states?
#21 Old 05-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

From MI, I went over to South Dakota (South instead of North so the kids could see Mt. Rushmore) Detoured to see Devils Tower in Wyoming (I don't know why, I was just drawn to it for some strange reason. ) Then up through Shelby, Montana. We camped the whole way. I had myself 2 kids a cat and a bird in a big van. It was incredible! I'd love to do the Al-Can again. BC and the Yukon was beautiful! And I really want to go to the hot springs in Liard River again!
#22 Old 05-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

do you guys consider yourselves canadian ?

1 time was i talkin to this girl and shes like ya im canadian im like o cool me too where are ya from ?

and shes like alaska

im like but your canadian ! I MEAN IM LIKE YOU SAID YOUYR CANADAIN !

and shes like most peeps from alaska consider themselves canadian

so i was wondering what you guys thout about that

EDITED BCUZ OF MY RETATDEDNESS !!
#23 Old 05-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Um....no. I don't know anyone here that considers themselves Canadian, with the exception of those that are originally from Canada. Not that I would mind being Canadian, but I don't live there! Of course there are many people in the lower 48 that think Alaska is a totally different country! My friend's wife was in a store in Ohio when a cashier, after looking at her driver's license, commented, "Alaska? Wow, you speak really good English!
#24 Old 05-24-2003, 05:35 PM
Beginner

umm, hi...i really don't belong here. never been to alaska, and probably never will. but i saw this posted elsewhere, and thought some of you might be interested:

"I'm from Anchorage, AK and I am in desperate need of finding some vegetarians where i live. me and a few others are setting up an alaska vegetarian society and we are in need of recruiting people!" [email protected]
#25 Old 05-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I know her! Yup, we've converged and are starting the Vegetarian Society of Alaska, hooray!Unfortunatly that e-mail of hers isn't working,but anyone interested can let me know here too! We've had two meetings so far and we're planning some different events to gain some exposure and recruit people to join the band of AK vegheads! I'm really excited about this. I hope we can keep the momentum.
#26 Old 06-02-2003, 08:49 PM

Hehehe....is my email THAT BAD?

So Sorry- my son is in the hospital, so we didn't meet last week. I'll just ask you here- are you available to meet on Thursday at 5:30 again? Here at my office? Let me know...

Also, I didn't write that little message. Do you think it may have been Mariann ?

I have so much to tell you guys at the next meeting. Can't wait. Let me know if that will work for you....
#27 Old 06-03-2003, 09:14 AM

Hello. I don't really belong here. I live in Texas. I lived in Eagle River for eight years, and I miss it with all my heart. You guys are lucky! If you ever go to Darwin's Theory say hi to bartender Eryn for me.
#28 Old 06-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

How long ago were you here, Cougar?

Oh and aksjg, it WAS Mariann. She gave me that e-mail addy, only to tell out later that it wasn't working for some reason. Ain't technology grand! Hope all is better with your son. We chatted a bit last week anyway. Mariann, Greg and I didn't get your notice until after. It was a good chat though! Looking forward to this week!
#29 Old 06-04-2003, 08:12 AM

I moved away in 1994, but my last trip up there was in 1996. It's been a long time.
#30 Old 08-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

All right, so besides Terra, Aksjg, and everyone who said "hi, I really don't belong here but..." is anyone else in Alaska?

I hear it's a nice place and would love to run into somebody!

--Trav--
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page