Alaska - Page 2 - VeggieBoards

Alaska

mosquito's Avatar mosquito
04:00 PM 06-25-2004
I'm going to be in Eagle River for two and a half weeks at the beginning of August. I was born and raised in Anchorage/Eagle River and lived in Fairbanks for six years before leaving. (I live in New Mexico now.) My sister and brother in law who are vegan just moved from Alaska last fall too. They live in MI now. BIL said that he was approached by someone in Anchoarage about starting a vegetarian society when they were still there. They had seen the bumper stickers on his car and talked to him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mosquito's Avatar mosquito
09:25 PM 08-11-2004
Ok, I live here now. Now I belong here.
terrafae's Avatar terrafae
11:36 PM 08-18-2004
MuahHaHahaaa!!!! You are OURS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jess00's Avatar jess00
11:41 AM 08-09-2005
I used to live in Anchorage, on Elmendorf AFB (military brat here ). I absolutely adored it. We were stationed there four and a half years. We moved there from NC, and we drove up there, and when we moved back down to NC, we drove back. That was about three years ago. Talk about a long car ride.. I can't remember exactly how long it was.
gogoshire's Avatar gogoshire
01:09 PM 07-30-2006
Bump!

I lived in Fairbanks from 1994 to 2004, and now I'm in Maine. Yuck. I thought it would be more like AK, but it's not. I'm moving to the Caribbean in 4 weeks, and I'm thinking that island life might be more like cabin life in terms of isolation and remoteness. Time will tell. I will not be a resident of Caribbean country, so at Thanksgiving, I'm heading back up to AK to reinstate my residency. I'd rather be an Alaskan than a Mainer (Mainiac?).
Funkified's Avatar Funkified
04:55 PM 08-25-2006
i'm going to alaska in a month for a few weeks - that counts for something, right?? right??
Patrickx814's Avatar Patrickx814
02:34 PM 02-01-2007
In mid March I'm going to be heading out to Fairbanks for a trip. I was wondering if there are any vegans/vegetarians on here from that area.
gogoshire's Avatar gogoshire
06:13 AM 02-06-2007
Hi Patrick,

Have a great trip! If you haven't been before, you'll love Fairbanks. It's a great town! Is this a vacation or business?

I haven't been back for a few years, but Fred Myers grocery stores have decent organic sections, and you'll be able to find everything you need. There was no independent health food store anymore when I left (closed down due to lack of business), but maybe one has since opened. It's hard for small businesses in Fbx b/c the community is small, isolated, and very diverse, so it's harder for small businesses to find their niche. Big chain stores seem to be taking over there like everywhere else.

If you like Thai food, Fairbanks might possibly be the best in the US for superb Thai restaurants. I have no idea why, but in this little sub-arctic community, there's a huge Thai population. Lemon Grass and Thai House are my two personal favorites, but you can't go wrong with Thai in that town!

There's a Greek restaurant called Athena's on the plaza at the corner of University and College road, and I remember they had some excellent veggie and vegan dishes.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'll try to help!

Maureen
Patrickx814's Avatar Patrickx814
02:48 PM 02-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoshire View Post

Hi Patrick,

Have a great trip! If you haven't been before, you'll love Fairbanks. It's a great town! Is this a vacation or business?

I haven't been back for a few years, but Fred Myers grocery stores have decent organic sections, and you'll be able to find everything you need. There was no independent health food store anymore when I left (closed down due to lack of business), but maybe one has since opened. It's hard for small businesses in Fbx b/c the community is small, isolated, and very diverse, so it's harder for small businesses to find their niche. Big chain stores seem to be taking over there like everywhere else.

If you like Thai food, Fairbanks might possibly be the best in the US for superb Thai restaurants. I have no idea why, but in this little sub-arctic community, there's a huge Thai population. Lemon Grass and Thai House are my two personal favorites, but you can't go wrong with Thai in that town!

There's a Greek restaurant called Athena's on the plaza at the corner of University and College road, and I remember they had some excellent veggie and vegan dishes.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'll try to help!

Maureen

It's just a vacation for some friends and I. Thanks for the information!
Michael's Avatar Michael
05:17 AM 02-09-2008
Now that each state has its own forum I'll be closing the state threads. Please continue any discussion by starting a new thread in this forum. Thanks!

Closed Thread Up