Alaska Veg*n in Alaska???? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 AM

So I posted this in the wrong spot before...lets try again......

Hi friends!! So I was wondering if there are any veg*n people in Alaska on this site?? I have been planning to move there for a while, and always noticed on lots of packages and commercials not available in Alaska and hawaii. So my question is..... what to veg*ns eat in alaska????? Are there really any other choices than growing and canning your own food? What about winter?? I am very curious and appreciate ANY feedback....thanks

~Peace~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

#3 Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I was before I moved far away (well, not so far but i ****ing hated alaska). I ate... pretty much what i eat now. Everything is available there as is down everywhere else unless you're in the Bush. What area are you talking about? I lived in North Pole, Fairbanks, Wasilla, Palmer, and Anchorage.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

#5 Old 04-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

It'd be a small town of around 3000, and not within driving distance to any larger city, so that has me slightly worried. But, I'm just mulling options at this point. Task number one would be to avoid Palin, AND THEN worry about veganism.

Seriously, as someone who lived there for five years, WHY?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#6 Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

#7 Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

My life is stale, this place I've known for far too long and perhaps I need a complete change of scenery; an injection of adventure that the wilderness could bring. I've never adapted well to life in a large, bustling city. If things were completely within my control, I'd be overseas already. What specifically did you dislike about Alaska? Just curious.

The people, the weather, the scenery isn't pretty at all the trees are all bottle scrubber ugly trees, or plain birch trees, the animals are cool, don't get me wrong, but it was teh worst five years of my life. Its awful up there. The people are insane, at least by my standards. Depending on where you go, the climate can be insane (you just said a small town, not really the location), but if it's in the interior, get ready for -45 to -60 below in the winter, and 100 degrees in the summer. If it's coastal, get ready for feet and feet and feet of snow in the winter and rain all summer.

Really, the only nice thing were the animals, and then you get to watch moose ride by in the back of someone's truck. Seeing as the second favorite (no, first favorite) activity up there right with snow machining is hunting. Hunting and fishing really.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page