Alabama New - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 AM

Hey Guys,

My Name is Ciera.

A veggie for 11 of my 20 years on earth!

I live in Huntsville AL

and really am the only vegetarian i know other than my mother.

It's rare down here in Meat and Potatoes country.

I am really trying to get in gear with my vegan diet.

I am vegetarian because I dislike meat, and the health aspects.

But the fact I dislike it made it the easiest decision i have ever made.

Vegan however is a little harder for me.

I adore Cheese.

So I am starting slow, and building up to it.

That and the lack of vegan friendly restaraunts down here in the south is really depressing.

I am currently a full time student, majoring in Business,

I want to open my own off the grid organic "walmart" with everything from organic cotton clothes, to food, to sustainable material furniture.

Currently I make my money as an Arbonne Consultant,

As vegetarians I hope that you know what this is, but if not you are in for a treat.

It is a line of skin care, cosmetic, and dietary supplements that are

*certified vegan

*never tested on animals

*hypoallergenic

*free of mineral oils, dyes, and chemical fragrances

*botanically based

*pH correct (different from pH balanced)

*dermatologist TESTED (different from dermatologist approved)

It's wonderful!

So if you don't have an arbonne consultant ALABAMIANS just let me know.

I hope that I can find wonderful vegetarians to share finds, and restraunts, and maybe even a dinner friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! I've been living in Alabama for about 2 and a half years now and i've been vegan for almost that whole time. It is a shame about the lack of vegan choices around here. Huntsville is a fairly large city, though. correct? so i'm sure you won't have too hard of a time once you sort things out. I live in a small town (population 1,500) south of Birmingham. Nothing vegan or even vegetarian friendly around here. You can get by fairly easily anywhere, though. cutting out "convience" crap is healthier too. Not that no vegan convience stuff is avalible or that you can't find "accidentally vegan" stuff in markets, because you can. Pretty much every store stocks soy/rice milk and tofu + a few "meats" (if you eat those). vegan soy cheese is hard too come by here. I say give up cheese and "cheese" for a couple months all together until you get over the addiction (yes, milk is addictive) and then try some "substitutes". Many people recoment Cheezly and Sheese so if you don't mind ordering online, I say try them. There's also a weblink for ordering a handmade (kind of pricey) gourmet vegan nut cheese, but I don't remember it. Maybe check out the "uncheese cookbook" or whatever it's called for recipes. I also have become fond of the rice slices (some aren't vegan). they have chedder, American and pepperjack. and for melting, People also recomend Teese, Which you can order online or Follow Your Heart (vegan gourmet). You can also use nutritional yeast to make a "cheese" sauce, which is good. but you don't need cheese to live, so if you don't like any of the subs, Just think about the dairy industry and cut out cheese and "cheese" all together. *good* fatty things like hummus and avocado take it's place nicely.
#3 Old 10-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Huntsville's actually a bit smaller than Birmingham - which by Alabama standards makes it a "large" city. But with not even 200,000 residents ... it's still got a way to go before it really qualifies as a "fairly large" city. LOL

I don't live in Huntsville - I'm about 30 miles away from H'ville. My biggest problem here is not grocery shopping (though I wouldn't mind some better stores with more ethnic varieties other than Mexican). I also would like to have one really good health food store - that is open on Saturday. Garden Cove isn't a horrible HFS and they do have some of the harder to find stuff (including some vegan "cheeses") - but they're run by Seventh Day Adventists so the store closes early on Friday and isn't open at all on Saturday. Makes it a bit inconvenient.

My problem is the attitudes. I don't know anyone who is vegetarian or even remotely friendly to vegetarianism. Tell someone here that you don't eat meat and you may well have said, "I'm an alien and I'm here to probe your anus."

Wait - you'd probably get a better response from Bubba and his girlfriend Billie Jo if you said that.

There's a lot of hostility in these Southerners when you tell them you don't eat meat and you don't believe in hunting or decorating your house with the stuffed corpses of the things you killed.

I've had trouble eating out and requesting meals without meat because the servers are either completely stupid about vegetarianism, very hostile toward it or both.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

Tell someone here that you don't eat meat and you may well have said, "I'm an alien and I'm here to probe your anus."

I just woke up the baby I laughed so hard! Yikes!

There is an AWESOME HFS in H'ville that I went to a while back that my ex-gf goes to a lot. I'll try to get the name of it. It's kinda off the beaten path.

Becca
#5 Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM

I work on Redstone Arsenal, and I am considered an absolute freak. I don't advertise my vegetarianism, but whenever I get invited to lunch, it's always a hot wings or barbecue place, and I respond with something like, "thank you for the invite, but I don't eat meat". I'm not going to lie about the reason I'm not going. So many vegetarians are closet vegetarians. I won't live in shame, but I never throw my beliefs on anyone else. Still, I'm considered a freak. It's like they think I'm vegetarian just to make them mad. Why do they care what I eat anyway? They act like Jesus cries every time I eat a delicious grilled shiitake sandwich instead of tearing into a leathery dead body. I would love for Huntsville to have a vegetarian restaurant where we can order real food, not some nasty deep fried processed potato sticks (which were probably fried in the same oil as chicken) from the side dishes menu. "Normal" people don't understand that a side salad consisting of iceberg lettuce, a tomato slice, and 2 cucumber slices at a chain restaurant is unacceptable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page