VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabama

29K views 174 replies 28 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

#7 ·
I don't know why I haven't posted in this thread before. I live in a small town in central Alabama. If anybody else from AL is still around, hi!

I'll try to post here now & then, just to keep this thread near the top, where it belongs. (Well, alphabetically, anyway!
)

#8 ·
Has anybody been to Birmingham to see Vulcan now that the park has reopened? I'm going up with some friends today--we're all super-excited about it! (If any non-Alabamians are wondering what Vulcan is, feel free to ask!)

After that, we're going over to the big farmer's market on Finlay Avenue. I'm hoping that it won't be too early in the season for some kind of yummy veggies.

Yesterday I drove down almost all the way to Montgomery, admiring the peach trees in bloom. I live just about 15 minutes north of Chilton County, so in a few more months, I'll be driving down Highway 82 every Saturday to hit the peach stands.
Yum! Chilton County peaches....

#9 ·
I was in Huntsville this weekend, and I really liked it. ^_^

(Although driving through that road construction in Birmingham was somewhat unfun.)

#10 ·
Yeah, what was that all about? We came into B'ham on 20/59, and right by the Civic Center, the 2 right lanes were closed. What a nightmare!

So, Ceryna, what did you do in Huntsville? Any fun things you would recommend to others?

If anybody is in B'ham, be sure to go to Vulcan Park. It looks fabulous! The statue is beautifully restored, there's a little museum in the visitor's center, and the tower and observation deck are completely renovated. It's well worth the visit, and worth the $6.00 for a ticket up to the observation deck.

Also, it's quite educational. Did you know that Vulcan is the tallest statue ever constructed in the US, and the second-tallest (next to the Statue of Liberty) located in the US?

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

So, Ceryna, what did you do in Huntsville? Any fun things you would recommend to others?
I went to visit my new sweetie. *^-^*

We just relaxed and hung out at his house watching anime, movies, and eating veg food (he was a really good sport about trying stuff!) because my trip to Japan is next week and I didn't want to do anything exhausting. ^^

I'll be going back again the weekend of April 25th and we're going to try to go to the Space Center, probably, and maybe the Botanical Gardens.

I'd like to find a faster way to get there, though. My dad mentioned something about driving through Gadsden...I dunno.

#12 ·
Hmm...Ceryna, you're coming from Atlanta, aren't you? If so, you could easily miss B'ham. You would stay on I-20 until you get to Oxford, then head towards Anniston. I think it would probably be a little quicker than going through B'ham, and you wouldn't have to get in that awful traffic.

#13 ·
Im alabamian right smack in the 'ham

my girlfriend is from huntsvegas ... how is the

botanical gardens up there anyway?

I'd just like to say greetings & hello & don't we

live in the 7th level of hell?!

I'd be happy to discuss any places of eating

in birmingham if anyone cares. There are several

veg*ns here I know

#15 ·
Hi Camj77! Welcome to VB. Don't be too quick to put B'ham down. I live in a tiny town smack in the middle of nowhere. The only restaurants in town are a KFC, 2 bbq places, and a Chinese restaurant (yay!). Also, it's a dry county--no liquor sales at all. Quite an exciting little town!

#16 ·
no liqour is scary. I'm going to drink some margaritas tonite ,

but I'm finding out I am mildly allergic to some liqours.

cordials seem to give me hives.

anyway, I LOVE curry in a hurry & surin, even though

c.i.a.h. isn't too spicy.

Taj India is great , there are several middle eastern places

but the 2 *really nice* ones I haven't (much)sampled yet.

(Ali babas & The Pita Stop)

I lived in montevallo for over 3 years, it was difficult to

get a good meal down there.

#22 ·
hi again!

i live in huntsville. gracie, as far as i know there is only one 7th day adventist restaurant in town. there used to be two, but the owner of the other passed away and it closed.

the one that is still open is called veggie factory and it's on governors drive. it is actually just a little booth type building in another parking lot that you drive through. they sell burgers and stuff, and their food is really good but greasy. they have the best french fries in town.

we also have a place on jordan lane called jamo's juice and java that we go to a lot. they have really awesome hummus and a falafel wrap, as well as a grilled vegetable wrap that is delicious. there is also a veg blt. they also sell fresh juice and coffee, but i guess the name tells you that.
really nice people there. the owner is a vegetarian, and he was asking us once about whether it's ok to request clean utensils, etc. at domino's...so i bet they are pretty clean with the veg menu items.

there's another restaurant on governor's called bandito burrito that is very veg-friendly. it is kind of old and dirty looking from the outside but it's great and cheap. they have a separate vegetarian menu, and i've heard that the owner is veg or used to be veg. but most of it comes with cheese or sour cream so you have to ask for it without. the green bean burrito is my favorite, and the vegetarian tamales are super.

we also have a qdoba mexican grill which is a national chain, but just in case you don't have one in your town, you should check it out. it is kind of pricey but worth it. they have tons of vegetarian stuff. we get the vegetarian or grilled vegetable burrito (which is huge!) and it comes with your choice of seasoned black or pinto beans and cilantro-lime rice, plus whatever else you want on it. i get it without cheese and sour cream but plus guacamole.

i also frequent two places in my area of town which are not vegetarian. one is called golden star chinese restaurant, and it's the best chinese food in town. it's on oakwood ave in the winn dixie shopping center. no eggs in the

fried rice there. and the other is garibaldi mexican restaurant (also on oakwood in the kroger parking lot) and they are very accomodating. we order everything without cheese, tacos with no meat but beans, and they don't even flinch. really nice people, delicious food, fresh salsa and guacamole.

sorry to go on like this, lol. i was born in huntsville and have lived here my whole life so i know the area pretty well. if you have questions just ask!

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild blackberry View Post

hi again!

i live in huntsville. gracie, as far as i know there is only one 7th day adventist restaurant in town. there used to be two, but the owner of the other passed away and it closed.
Ah, that must have been the one I was thinking of. It's been quite a while since I was in H'ville. Thanks!

#24 ·
If anyone is going to be in the area of Montevallo, AL this Saturday, I've got a full day of activities for you. PM me for details.

First, at 9:00 am on the U of M campus, we'll be having a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity. If you decide to come, look for Team Vegan Alliance. We could use a donation!

Then, at 2:00 pm, there will be a bake sale on the porch at Eclipse to benefit John Kerry's campaign. You can read more here. I'll be baking Coconut-Almond muffins, Raspberry-Orange muffins, Blueberry-Peach muffins (all vegan), and chocolate chip cookies (vegan if I can find the right choc.chips.)

Finally, Sat evening (I'll check on the exact time), there will be a fashion show at Eclipse, put on by the Rural Fashionistas. It should be exciting! There will be champagne & appetizers.

Or, if you're in Tuscaloosa, go to Pet Pawlooza, sponsored by T-Town Paws. They raise money to provide low-cost spaying and neutering. Take your dog, and have a great time!

#26 ·
Hey, there's still a few weeks left in strawberry season. There's a great you-pick-em strawberry farm just outside of Clanton where you can get berries for $7/gallon. PM me if you would like directions. It's worth the drive.

And I can tell you the peach crop will be great this year. The trees are LOADED with peaches. They'll start getting ripe around the end of May. Woo-hoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.