Alabama - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 12-15-2004, 10:16 PM

I hate it when the El Giro tries to sneak a cow into my Cheese Burrito. An I'm all to the waiter like "Amigo, MOOOOOOO! in my burrito, SI!" Thankfully they don't put cow in Tecate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 12-28-2004, 10:03 PM

i just recently moved from canada to tuscaloosa alabama and have been having a hard time here with my vegan diet and a work permit an all that fun stuff... i just thought id drop a line to introduce myself...
#63 Old 12-29-2004, 05:06 AM

Hi ratz! I don't live in Tuscaloosa anymore, but it's my home town. It is a tough place to be vegan. Manna Grocery has a small bulk foods section, worth checking out. They're about the only HFS in the area. Their cafe used to have good veg*n stuff for lunch, but they seem to be catering to the Atkins crowd more.

I'll try to think of more places where I used to shop & eat. Welcome to Alabama, and to Veggieboards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 12-29-2004, 10:14 PM

ive been to Manna Grocery and its a nice place... real down to earth... but kinda on the expensive side for a person like me heh... but then again i cudnt really afford much anyways seeing as how i dont have a job as of yet... im staying at my girl friends grand parents and am looking into a work permit at the moment... heh... but it turns out i need to find a employer to apply for that on my behalf... at a $150 fee i dont really see that happening any time soon...

but i dont wanna depress yall with my story...

it seems like alabama would be the last place on earth to really have many vegan followers...
#65 Old 12-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

are you a teenager? why do you have to pay $150 dollars to get a work permit? is this something that varies by county, or is yours a special situation? that is kind of outrageous.

anyway, welcome to veggieboards.

alabama is really not that bad. there are a lot of wonderful things about it, and plenty of vegans at that. a lot of it just depends on what part of the state you are in. i have only visited tuscaloosa a few times, but it was a lacto-ovo so i found plenty to eat.

all i can tell you is that you may have to keep things basic and just buy your grocery store staples like fruits and veggies, rice, beans, peanut butter, pasta, etc. that is usually what i have to do anyway when i don't have much money.
#66 Old 12-30-2004, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild blackberry View Post

are you a teenager? why do you have to pay $150 dollars to get a work permit? is this something that varies by county, or is yours a special situation? that is kind of outrageous.

anyway, welcome to veggieboards.

thanx for the welcome... and i am 24 myself heh... but yes ive been looking into a work permit and such and it seems that since this 911 thing, the usa has been harder to get work in... i know that itll take a bit but according to

http://uscis.gov/ (the operator at the 1 800 #) the only way to get a work permit is to have a employer apply for a work permit on my behalf... im thinking about going to a local grocery store and telling the manager my situation and say ill work for free for a month so that he can see that ill be a good investment (cause i cant see any 1 going to that much trouble unless its worth there while)...

ah well... such struggle can only build character in the end and though i dont see it at the moment i know that there has to be some point where things are alot easier...

my friend from pennsilvania also sent me this link which has helped out a bit

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

#67 Old 01-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

hello again ratz.

so you are coming from outside the USA? i didn't realize, sorry! i used to have a lot of friends who were not citizens and found work pretty easily. i think it just depends on what kind of work you want to do. most of my friends worked at restaurants that were owned by people who were sympathetic to their situations and didn't mind the extra hassle. i wish i knew more details.

i understand the problems with family members. it took mine years to stop harrassing me about it.
#68 Old 01-17-2005, 09:35 PM

so ya i found a vegan group at the local university... they have meetings every thursday and so im hoping to go next week... im kinda excited bout that...
#69 Old 01-18-2005, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratz View Post

so ya i found a vegan group at the local university... they have meetings every thursday and so im hoping to go next week... im kinda excited bout that...

Glad to hear that! Are you adjusting to being so far from home?
#70 Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

Glad to hear that! Are you adjusting to being so far from home?

ah its really hard at times... i use to go for walks for hours an hours an now im told if i go into the wrong neighbor hood i cud be shot... and the employment thingy isnt the greatest at the moment... but as a positive im away from the -40 to -45 degrees celcius so it balences out
#71 Old 01-22-2005, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

wow ratz! that is colder weather than i have ever seen. do you mind if i ask where you are from?

and i'm so glad you found a vegan group. that is probably going to help so much.
#72 Old 01-22-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild blackberry View Post

wow ratz! that is colder weather than i have ever seen. do you mind if i ask where you are from?

heh... im from winnipeg canada... maybe 8 hours north of fargo

and ya its exciting bout the vegan group but we didnt make it this week cause we cudnt find it... but next week

#73 Old 05-04-2005, 06:10 PM

Does anyone know directions to a U-pick blueberry farm near Montevallo? I went there with friends a couple of years ago and would like to go back...It was on backroads and had tube rental place also. thanks in advance.
#74 Old 12-10-2005, 05:18 AM

Just wanted to say hi from Anniston. I have not a single vegan or vegetarian friend around here, the only ones I know are online, mostly on Vegan Freak Forums. I introduced myself on these boards quite a while back, but then had trouble getting back on the boards because of having AOL as an ISP. Everything seems fine now. Anyway, if anyone is anywhere near Anniston, Jacksonville (where I attend Jacksonville State University), Marshall County, or even Birmingham (where I go sometimes for VA hospital medical appointments, I'm a veteran), I would be interested in meeting up sometimes. I see that you have a group doing that in Birmingham, I may join you there occasionally.

As far as Anniston having anything vegetarian or vegan, I do get some good things at the Chinese restaurants, such as Mu Shu without the pork, or bean curd dishes with vegetables, but beware some of the places that advertise vegetable platters, they are not always vegetarian. The last place I went to in Jacksonville on the square served me the vegetable platter several times until I thought to ask what it was cooked in. Turns out it was chicken broth I was so mad. I should have thought to ask. Oh, and the Frontera Mexican restaurant in Anniston near the Big Kmart has some vegetarian options (about 4) on the menu, I discovered that the other night. There is a Friends Natural Market in Oxford, near the mall, they have plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and health and organic items. I also like Books-A-Million to get my coffees, lattes and cappuchinos; they are good to substitute soy milk in place of dairy in items for just a little change, without any questions.

Hope that helps, I know that's a little late for the person who asked about meals in Anniston.

Chelle
#75 Old 04-15-2006, 10:52 AM

this thread is super dead... may it rest in peace. i just joined the forums and wanted to post that i'm in north bamalama, near huntsvegas.
#76 Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Wild Oats is doing market research for a new store in Huntsville. They are wise to tread carefully - this is the deep South, where habits and attitudes change slowly

They have posted a petition you can sign if you'd like them to open a store in Huntsville. You can find it at http://www.wewantwildoats.com.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Wild Oats, and (in fact) often find their goods overpriced compared to other "health" food stores.
#77 Old 07-28-2006, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithFoxes View Post

Wild Oats is doing market research for a new store in Huntsville. They are wise to tread carefully - this is the deep South, where habits and attitudes change slowly

They have posted a petition you can sign if you'd like them to open a store in Huntsville. You can find it at http://www.wewantwildoats.com.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Wild Oats, and (in fact) often find their goods overpriced compared to other "health" food stores.

I voted.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#78 Old 07-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wild Oats ... posted a petition you can sign if you'd like them to open a store in Huntsville. You can find it at http://www.wewantwildoats.com.

www.wewantwildoats.com is owned by O&S Holdings, developers of the huge Bridge Street mega-mall in Huntsville. They apparently are trying to attract a Wild Oats store to their new development.

Slimy behavior by real estate developers is nothing new. However, in this case, the behavior may be illegal. The ad in the Huntsville Times last week announcing the petition included the Wild Oats logo, which is most likely a registered trademark. I'm not a lawyer, but I thought that it is illegal for an organization to use the trademark of another company for economic gain without permission.

My apologies to all who signed the petition believing they were communicating directly with Wild Oats. I fell for the Bridge Street scam just as you did.

Bridge Street Mall
#79 Old 08-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Beginner

I'm originally from Boulder Colorado, but I just moved to Mobile Alabama in January.
#80 Old 08-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheniox View Post

I'm originally from Boulder Colorado, but I just moved to Mobile Alabama in January.

I feel your pain.

Blurb for a story in today's Huntsville [Alabama] Times, page D1:

Spiritual Journey: K.C. Bertling sees in her soldier-husband a role model of a faith-filled, loving life. Her faith has taught her how to be submissive to him. See Page D4.

Comment: Uh, thanks, but I think I'll pass. The above blurb perfectly captures why I'm getting the hell out of Alabama in Q1 2007. The twin corrupt, patriarchical, hierarchical power structures of the U.S. Military and the fundamentalist Christian Church nestle together down here like two snug bugs in a rug.
#81 Old 08-12-2006, 03:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I feel your pain.

Blurb for a story in today's Huntsville [Alabama] Times, page D1:

Spiritual Journey: K.C. Bertling sees in her soldier-husband a role model of a faith-filled, loving life. Her faith has taught her how to be submissive to him. See Page D4.

Comment: Uh, thanks, but I think I'll pass. The above blurb perfectly captures why I'm getting the hell out of Alabama in Q1 2007. The twin corrupt, patriarchical, hierarchical power structures of the U.S. Military and the fundamentalist Christian Church nestle together down here like two snug bugs in a rug.

It's definitely not Where It's At for a liberal like me. I'm Portland bound. (Portland, Oregon within 3 years or less!)

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#82 Old 08-17-2006, 03:49 PM

Anyone live around Birmingham or Anniston? I just moved here 7 wks ago and dont really know anyone or have any friends in the area that have similar eating habbits.
#83 Old 08-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroice View Post

Anyone live around Birmingham or Anniston? I just moved here 7 wks ago and dont really know anyone or have any friends in the area that have similar eating habbits.

Sorry to say but downtown Mobile is like two or three hours from Birmingham, so I'm not in the area.

I know where Birmingham is but I have no idea where Anniston is, would you mind clueing me in on that?
#84 Old 10-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Beginner

So, I'm going to be in Montgomery over Thanksgiving. Any advice for a new-to-town vegan for the holiday? Maybe a restaurant or a vegan get-together? Or just restaurants in general, I'll be there from 31 Oct until 8 Dec....

Thanks in advance for any help!
#85 Old 11-24-2006, 04:15 PM

I live in Huntsville...

not easy to meet other vegetarians here though...
#86 Old 12-10-2006, 12:18 PM

I live in Birmingham. I also have a solution to finding other vegetarians in Birmingham. My wife and I are starting a website for vegetarians in Birmingham. We all know how hard it can be to find the right places to eat. Here is the info from our coming soon page:

BHAMVEG.COM coming soon!

This will be your number one page for local vegetarian happenings, restaurant reviews, recipes, discussions and helpful links to all things Veg!

Interested in contributing articles, reviews or recipes? Contact us at [email protected] or [email protected]

Sign up for our newsletter to keep informed about the status of the site and other important news. You can also visit us on MySpace and add us to your friends list.

#87 Old 02-06-2007, 06:44 AM

I wanted to post and let everyone know the new veg website for Birmingham is now livel. You can visit us at http://bhamveg.com

Have a great week!
#88 Old 02-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

hey all!

does anyone in the huntsville area know what is up with the new veg restaurant at the oakwood ave/north parkway intersection? it's had a coming soon sign up for quite a while and doesn't appear to be open but someone told me they had an ad in the paper a while back. i've been wondering if i should be keeping an eye on it or if something happened and the owners gave up on it.

i hope everyone is having a lovely winter. take care!
#89 Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

wow. i guess not many people post to the alabama board. if anyone is in or around anniston, let me know, especially if you work out at anniston fitness! im there in the evenings...
#90 Old 10-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Hey, I'm in Anniston!

I don't hang out on the board much...

Give me a call sometime!

412-401-1477, Krishna.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page