Alabama - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 05-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild blackberry View Post

ceryna, the restaurant listed on those sites closed years ago. also, veggie factory (the burger restaurant i mentioned in my post above) appears to have closed.

so as far as i know, there are no longer any vegetarian restaurants here, but there are lots of veg-friendly places.

there are a few natural foods stores, but the best by far is garden cove produce. they have lots of veg food (no vegan gourmet or road's end products, though) and also vegan personal care items and supplements. it's a large building with gazebos and picnics tables outside. it's on the corner of pratt and meridian street in five points. very close to my house.

anything else just ask, i've lived in huntsville my whole life.

Thanks very much. ^_^

I'll be sure to mention this to my BF, because we've been planning to look around for more veggie resources in the area. I'll be there this weekend, actually. Just 8 more hours 'til I leave Atlanta. ^_^

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

hey guys...hope you had a nice time in huntsvegas, ceryna...

i wanted to let you know that i heard about a new vegan restaurant/market in huntsville on jordan lane. it has a website: http://www.heavensfarmacy.com/

i have not checked it out because i am a little terrified by the very prominent religious nature of the whole thing. but if someone else is brave enough to try it, please let me know!

also, i realized that i forgot to mention that stanlieo's subs has a very large selection of vegetarian subs. stanlieo's is an old business in huntsville with delicious food and i have enjoyed their sandwiches since childhood. they use the worthington meat alternatives, so i'm not really sure about whether or not they are vegan; i also don't know about the breads. most of them come with cheese and mayo but they will certainly make them without.
#33 Old 06-17-2004, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi guys. I'll be visiting my parents in Anniston next month. They want to take me for a nice dinner for my birthday. My first thought is, "Where the hell can I get a nice dinner in Anniston, even if I did eat meat?" Anyone have any ideas? Anything in and around Anniston, Oxford, etc. I suppose I could eat salad and rolls (and dessert) if necessary, since all the vegetables are probably flavored with meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-27-2004, 05:25 PM

i wanted to let you know that i heard about a new vegan restaurant/market in huntsville on jordan lane. it has a website: http://www.heavensfarmacy.com/

i have not checked it out because i am a little terrified by the very prominent religious nature of the whole thing. but if someone else is brave enough to try it, please let me know!

I live in Huntsville and am a frequent customer of Heaven's Farmacy. The owners of the restaurant are very nice people. While they are Seventh Day Adventist I fail to see what this has to do with their business except they are not opened on Friday evening and Saturday as are not Jewish business owners. Their food is excellent and they are very family oriented young people working very hard to offer a high quality VEGAN restaurant.

Regarding Stanlieo's - Yes the use a lot canned veggie Worthington alternatives that are high in sodium and fat. According to my understanding they also use eggs in their product listed well in the mayo and other condiments that also are laiden with fat.

Yes, this restaurant has been around for a long time if you don't mind being prematurely exposed to coronary and hypertension I would select another alternative. This is hardly a healthy option for the VEGAN/Vegetarian life style.

Owner...BodyOLogy Natural Bath & Body
#35 Old 07-11-2004, 08:42 PM

hey, i'll be going to school at the university of alabama (tuscaloosa) this fall...any vegetarians/vegans from around there?
#36 Old 07-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, since I spend every other weekend in Huntsville, visiting my SO, I think I'll see if I can make it over to heaven's farmacy and see what it's like.

I can check out their selection and see if I'll be able to get the specialty items the regular grocery stores don't carry.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#37 Old 07-12-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seev99 View Post

hey, i'll be going to school at the university of alabama (tuscaloosa) this fall...any vegetarians/vegans from around there?

Hi seev99! I'm originally from Tuscaloosa, but am moving to the Bessemer/McCalla area. I think there are a few veg*ns on the U of A campus--not a lot, but more than you might think. Are you from Alabama, or from out of state?
#38 Old 07-12-2004, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

Hi seev99! I'm originally from Tuscaloosa, but am moving to the Bessemer/McCalla area. I think there are a few veg*ns on the U of A campus--not a lot, but more than you might think. Are you from Alabama, or from out of state?

yea i used to live in auburn; i went to undergrad up in NY @ cornell though, but i'm goin to UA this fall to get a one year master's in banking and finance...so what's tuscaloosa like; i've never been there...
#39 Old 07-12-2004, 06:51 PM

Well, the U of A has always been a party school. Lots of drunken undergrads. Learn to say "Roll Tide" as an answer to any question you don't understand, and you'll be fine!

Really, Tuscaloosa isn't the absolute worst place you could live, as long as you like football. You can get good falafels at Hooligan's.
#40 Old 07-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

Learn to say "Roll Tide" as an answer to any question you don't understand, and you'll be fine!

That just cracked me up!

Gracie - Dad took me on an Anniston/Oxford tour this weekend. He lived on the road right behind Monsanto, where there used to be a dump (on what is now Monsanto's land). I posted in that thread about it, but I guess you didn't see. I tried to find it on mapquest/yahoo, but the exact address is not listed. Is that 202? 431?
#41 Old 07-13-2004, 06:37 AM

Hi Christy--Yeah, I did see it, and I've been trying to find out exactly where that Monsanto plant is, but I can't seem to get a street address. Odd, isn't it?

It's pretty scary that your dad lived so close to the plant.
#42 Old 07-31-2004, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

V Arlene,

i have no problem with seventh day adventists. i frequent a few of the seventh day adventist owned businesses around here. i don't know what i would do without these businesses, in fact. what i mean is that the nature of their business appears to be very religious. for example, the first thing you see on their website are the words "GOD'S PLAN." although i am glad this restaurant offers healthful vegan food and i wish them all the success in the world, i do not share their religious beliefs so all of that makes me a little uncomfortable. but your comments imply that i am choosing not to go to their restaurant because i am discriminating against them because of their personal religious beliefs, and i am very offended that you jumped to that conclusion.

in regard to stanlieo's, yes, they use high fat ingredients, and yes, they use some ingredients that contain eggs. however, this board is for all vegetarians, not just vegans, so that is not an issue for some people. also, not everyone is a vegetarian for health reasons, and some people don't mind eating high fat ingredients on occasion.
#43 Old 09-22-2004, 11:23 AM

Is anybody planning to go to the Sidewalk Film Festival? I'm really excited about it! I'm going to see "Hide & Creep" tomorrow at Sloss Furnaces.

ETA: Here's a link to the Festival website.
#44 Old 09-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

i wish i had known about this. i would have loved to have gone down to see some of those.

thanks for posting it gracie. i just wish i had read it sooner! maybe next time.
#45 Old 09-24-2004, 08:12 PM

Oops! Sorry, wild blackberry. I was supposed to be going to New Orleans with some friends this weekend, so I just blocked the film festival from my mind. But then the trip got cancelled at the last minute, and I get to see fun movies! I'll try to be sure to give a little more advance notice next time, though.

Hide & Creep was good! It's sort of a parody of zombie movies, set in Thorsby, AL, and filmed there too. I heard on the radio this morning that there were 500 people at the screening last night at Sloss Furnaces! I knew it was a big crowd, but that's fabulous!

Tomorrow, I'm going to see a documentary about Kathryn Tucker Windham. She is amazing!
#46 Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

oh, i'm so glad you're enjoying the films. but also sorry that your trip got cancelled. how disappointing. :P

i think woman thou art loosed looks really interesting. sometimes i wish i lived closer to birmingham, but then i think, nah...it's not worth it.

keep us up to date.
#47 Old 10-13-2004, 03:15 AM

Another cool event I recommend: The Kentuck Festival.
#48 Old 10-16-2004, 09:17 PM

I just came across this website while surfing around. I am vegan and live in Madison. The only other vegetarians that I know are one of my good friends in East Central Alabama, some neighbors down the street that I never really see and my 2 yr old daughter. I don't have any vegan friends

It will be nice to get to "talk" to you guys

Take care!
#49 Old 10-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

glad to have you with us, visitor
#50 Old 10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, today I tried going to Heaven's Farmacy for the second time. The last time was last Monday. They were closed, even though I went during the hours listed as open on their website. Last Monday I chalked it up to Columbus Day, but to my knowledge, there's no reason for them to have been closed today.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Oh, and "hi" to Visitor, I'm moving to Huntsville early next year. ^_^

#51 Old 10-18-2004, 06:12 PM

Hi Visitor! I hope we'll see you a lot around VeggieBoards!
#52 Old 10-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm ceryna, they seem to be family operated, so maybe something urgent came up for them and they couldn't go in to run the place. i certainly hope they aren't closing or anything. if i have a chance tomorrow (wednesday) i may go check and see if they are open, even if i am too shy to go in.
#53 Old 10-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I found Stanlieo's today, but I didn't go in, since you said they use Worthington products and I don't think they are vegan.

#54 Old 10-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, i don't think there are many worthington products that are vegan. the food at stanlieo's tastes good but i don't really like to go there because it's not the kind of food that i like to eat much of. but my husband and brother enjoy it a lot so i tag along with them sometimes. they do have a vegetable sub but i've never tried it. i would rather just go to subway. i support stanlieo's because they are locally owned and offer a lot of vegetarian options, but neither locations seem very clean and sometimes the employees are rude (although sometimes they are nice too.)

honestly these days when i go out to eat i almost always go to jamo's, or sometimes i'll have some mexican. the employees at jamo's are so friendly (i know at least one of the cashiers is vegetarian too), the food, fresh juice, and coffee are delicious, and the owner being vegetarian is a real plus for me.

anyway, i didn't get a chance to drop by heaven's farmacy today.
#55 Old 11-30-2004, 12:33 PM
jan

hello alabama...i am in birmingham and would love to start a vegan potluck or join in one that is already established. i have had such a hard time meeting like minded folks here...jan
#56 Old 11-30-2004, 01:26 PM

Hi Jan! I'm in Birmingham, too! When I lived in Tuscaloosa, I was part of a group that had veggie potluck dinners once a month. It was a lot of fun. I would love to start (or join) something like that, probably after the holidays, though.

Have you lived in B'ham long?
#57 Old 11-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

hi jan! the potluck idea is so great. i wish i knew some people who might want to do it around here!
#58 Old 11-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll be moving there early next year, blackberry!

#59 Old 11-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

then there will be all two of us in huntsville.

#60 Old 12-02-2004, 11:33 AM
jan

ok folks....i have just started a vegan meet up in b'ham..go to meetup.com and search vegan in alabama. have scheduled a tentative meeting for 1/1/05 at 2 pm at golden temple's restaurant. if you want to attend and this date doesnt work for you...let me know and we can change it..nothing set in stone...let me hear from you
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page