New Jersey - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 05:11 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2003, 05:33 PM

Now, am I the only one with guts enough to admit I live in New Jersey, or is this really hell on earth and I'm the only vegan? I should have stayed in California!
#3 Old 05-13-2003, 05:39 PM
Banned

heh wow, another jersey folk! and i was almost certain that no one else here was from new jersey..

well hi there! i'm moving to colorado for (at least) two years next month though. so i guess it'll be all yours then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-13-2003, 06:24 PM

Aren't I the lucky one! Good luck to you in Colorado, and for the love of God, don't look back!
#5 Old 05-13-2003, 06:33 PM

I like to say it like 'Joyzee'...almost the most funniest state to say beside Nawlins.
#6 Old 05-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't live in NJ, but I live right across the Delaware, about 10 minutes away in PA, so wanted to say hi anyway
#7 Old 05-13-2003, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

I like to say it like 'Joyzee'...almost the most funniest state to say beside Nawlins.

ah yes, that elusive state of New Orleans

and yes, i have no intention of looking back. new jersey is just not my kind of place at all! i'm so excited, i can't wait..

and hi lucycat
#8 Old 05-13-2003, 07:20 PM

All cool folks split! I wish I were in a position to myself, so to those who can,
#9 Old 05-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienAmandil

Now, am I the only one with guts enough to admit I live in New Jersey, or is this really hell on earth and I'm the only vegan? I should have stayed in California!

Lol...."hell on earth"....I love it. Well, I live in hell, too. I see you live down the shore. Safe to assume you've been to Veggie Works & Down to Earth? I live farther north but make the trip once in a while.
#10 Old 05-15-2003, 11:27 PM

Yeah! I'm not the only one! Yep, go to Veggie Works, although Belmar as a town in general embodies everything I dislike about our culture. I live a few towns south, in Manasquan, which is a little more my pace. I hope you atleast live someplace quiet up north, something the shore area lacks, especially with the upcoming summer madness.

Peace!
#11 Old 05-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by vegankittykat

I live farther north but make the trip once in a while.

where is farther north? i went to school at rutgers in new brunswick but just moved home today (monmouth county) for two weeks.

and btw, i had a summer job at NJEF (new jersey environmental federation) down in belmar a few years back it was a lot of fun.
#12 Old 05-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in Union County, not far from Newark airport. I went to Rutgers for one semester years ago...I wish I hadn't dropped out. I'm sure you won't miss Jersey after you leave. Luthienamandil: it's sure not quiet up here, but I'm sure it's quieter than alot of the shore towns. Did you know that Veggie Works is for sale? The owners want to sell it to someone who will keep it vegan. If it closes or changes, I will be so depressed .
#13 Old 05-16-2003, 06:22 PM

I didn't know Veggie Works is for sale! Boy, if only I had the $$, because we really don't have any other vegan places around. Hopefully they are able to find a suitable buyer that sticks with their way of doing things now.
#14 Old 05-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I know....I just need to hit that lottery and I will buy it . At least there's also Down to Earth but they're alot more expensive than VW and they don't have a salad bar. Plus VW's menu is much more extensive. I'm lucky being farther north since I'm not too far from NYC. Do you get to go there much? I don't go as often as I would like...it is a bit of a hassle getting in there. There's a place in the Village called Red Ramboo which is excellent. They've been there about a year I think.
#15 Old 05-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

i came to new jersey once and this guy one the street yelled at me !! it was scary i was only 12 !!

i coudnt help but laugh when he was buying an opra mag !!
#16 Old 05-19-2003, 07:39 PM

I worked in the city for 3 years and visit often. I usually go to Indian restaurants; there is one in Brooklyn that's really good, though I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.
#17 Old 05-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I really need to try more Indian food to see if I like it...I've tried a couple of frozen things which didn't thrill me. There's lots of Indian restaurants near where I work, so it would be helpful if I could learn to like their food. I tend to prefer "Americanized" vegetarian food....that's why I like Veggie Works so much. I love the dish they have called the Singing Cowboy....it's my favorite thing off of their menu.
#18 Old 06-25-2003, 02:48 PM

Where is Veggie Works--in Belmar?

I live in the noisy crowded hell of Hudson County and cross the river to NYC daily to work. It's not my favorite place and would prefer to be elsewhere. Oh, well.
#19 Old 06-26-2003, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, Veggie Works is in Belmar. I can definitely see hating to commute to the city everyday, but at least you have a lot of veggie restaurants to choose from for lunch, assuming there's one near your work. Too bad they weren't more evenly distributed throughout the city, though....seems like most of them are in the Village. Have you been to Veggie Heaven in Teaneck or Parsippany?
#20 Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 AM

Wow, it's been almost a month since the last post in here.

I live in Jersey, and have my entire life. I don't particularly like living here but don't hate it either. If I were to move anywhere, it would be Cali but I think I might just live out my days in this state. One of the reasons I'm hesitant to move is because I feel the need to fight for animal rights here (of course elsewhere wouldn't be bad either). I do cat rescue and am trying to reduce the number of homeless cats and figure this is a good a place to start as any. I figure if I move away, the animals here will have lost someone working to improve their lives.
#21 Old 08-03-2003, 12:53 AM

BTW, if anyone from or around NJ is interested, the New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance is having their 20th anniversary conference coming up soon:

http://www.nj-ara.org/conference.htm

New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance Presents Our 20th Anniversary Conference

Animal Rights: New Jersey IssuesNew Jersey Activism

Saturday, October 25, 2003 Raritan Valley Community College, Somerville, NJ
#22 Old 12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone from central jersey, somerset county? I've lived here my whole life (14 years, not too long) and its ok, sometimes I just wish I could go live in California or someplace else.
#23 Old 01-27-2004, 08:15 PM

I live in New Jersey, Lodi to be exact. My boyfriend and I want to move to a better area. =)

Jacquie
#24 Old 01-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Where's Lodi (north, south, central?)
#25 Old 01-27-2004, 10:15 PM

One day, when I finally loose it and can't stand being here anymore, I'm going to drive east all the way to the ocean. You know, just pick up and go for the weekend or whatever. I just looked on the map days ago and realized if I did that from where I live I'd end up in New Jersey. They have a board walk there don't they? Wonder how long it'd take to get from Northern Ohio to Jersey to see the Ocean?
#26 Old 01-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

It would take a long time, and yes there are many boardwalks. If you're plannign on ever visiting the shore I would suggest Wildwood, its my favorite. In terms of a town/beach, suprisingly, atlantic city is filthy, crime ridden and not very nice.
#27 Old 01-28-2004, 07:53 AM

I've heard that about Atlantic City. I don't believe I'd want to go there. I'd just like to sit by the ocean and listen and watch. Just sit and let the world pass me by. I'd bring my paints and sketch pad too. It would be wonderful! I'd get one of those big floppy beach hats like you see in the movies. I'd probably take someone really close to me with me or I'd go it alone..haven't decided yet.
#28 Old 01-28-2004, 01:50 PM

I live in the North Eastern section I think...=)

Jacquie
#29 Old 02-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how long it would take from Northern Ohio, but it took me about 12 hours to drive to see my sister who lives near Cincinnati. As far as beaches go, I would also suggest Wildwood (it's about 40 miles south of Atlantic City). Their beach is huge, and it's free. I think their boardwalk is about a mile long. If you're vegetarian, you'll do okay for eating with pizza and stuff, but if you're vegan, good luck. Same with all the boardwalks in NJ....they all pretty much have the same kind of food (burgers, cheesesteaks, ice cream, etc.).
#30 Old 03-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankittykat View Post

I don't know how long it would take from Northern Ohio, but it took me about 12 hours to drive to see my sister who lives near Cincinnati. As far as beaches go, I would also suggest Wildwood (it's about 40 miles south of Atlantic City). Their beach is huge, and it's free. I think their boardwalk is about a mile long. If you're vegetarian, you'll do okay for eating with pizza and stuff, but if you're vegan, good luck. Same with all the boardwalks in NJ....they all pretty much have the same kind of food (burgers, cheesesteaks, ice cream, etc.).

I love the Ocean City boardwalk.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page