Florida Central Florida Veg Fest 2008 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

It will be in Orlando at Loch Haven Park on October 25th, same place as last year. We went last year and it was great. Just about every veg*n friendly restaurant and retailer in Orlando had a booth there I think. Lots of food, etc.

Chryssie718, and I will be there. Does anyone else plan to go this year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

So out of curiousity, I googled for their web page. If I lived closer, I'd go, but I'm not sure if it's worth the three hour drive each way. If anyone else from down my way (Palm Beach County or nearby) really wants to go and carpool there, I might consider it.

--Fromper

#3 Old 09-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just thinking that would be a fun, relatively short trip from Miami... until I read the date ... I'll be in Asheville, NC getting married that day!

Otherwise I could have carpooled with somebody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-02-2008, 05:42 PM

Ooooh. I will think about going. It looks like about a 2.5 hour drive for me. I am coming from Lake City. If anyone would like to carpool with me (Jacksonville people, Gainesville people?) I might consider it. I would just have to see about being able to get off work.
#5 Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm moving to Tampa....and am missing this event by 2 days. SUPER bummed.
#6 Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to work and don't drive. I miss all the fun things!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#7 Old 10-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

We attended the event today and it was fun. I was bummed when it was raining early this morning but by the time we got there around 11 or so it had cleared up and was a beautiful sunny day. According to one of the announcers, the attendance this year was way up from previous years. There were lots of interesting booths with diverse items and information from organic gardening/food to yoga and meditation. There were demonstrations and educational speakers. Since we had the kids this year, we ended up following them around so they could participate in the activities for children. They had a blast being in a "play" with costumes of sea creatures teaching a lesson about pollution. There were lots of different food venders and Food Not Bombs was giving away free food. It was a good experience for the kids and we all enjoyed it. Hope some of you folks who couldn't attend get a chance to go next year.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#8 Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I would have went. It sounded awesome.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#9 Old 10-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I forgot to mention the animals! There were rescue groups for several animals as well as animal activists. There were greyhounds and pugs and kitties. A group for manatees and monkeys too. And birds! It was very cool.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#10 Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I was really surprised at all the newcomers this year. There's a lot of seemingly new restaurants. Of course, I think everyone has heard of Etho's Vegan Kitchen by now (they were serving a nice vegan meatball sub at the fest... seitan I suspect), but I was also surprised by some of the others. I don't know if they're knew or simply didn't have a presence at the festival last year. There's a fast food type Indian place called Khasiyat that was there. Looked like some good stuff, just not sure if it was vegan, deep fried no doubt. I was also surprised that there's a raw-vegan diner in town, Cafe 118 as well as a vegan hotdog stand called Sah Nevaeh (Uh... 'heaven has' backward?).
#11 Old 10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

It's too bad I missed this, I totally would've driven up for it. Glad to hear you all had fun!
#12 Old 10-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeVegChick View Post

It's too bad I missed this, I totally would've driven up for it. Glad to hear you all had fun!

Maybe next year!! Perhaps we could meet there.

#13 Old 10-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

For sure! In the meanwhile, maybe there will be some other events. I am on most of my local MeetUps. Let's keep each other posted of anything that sounds interesting.
#14 Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Beginner

I was there. Chilled w/ some friends, dropped by FNB table, got some Ethos, listened to some speakers, participated in an activity and got a vegan hot dog to go. The Orlando veg. community is booming, I remember just 4-5 years ago when I first went vegan and there were only a few (mostly Indian and one Chinese) places.
#15 Old 11-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve-day View Post

I was there. Chilled w/ some friends, dropped by FNB table, got some Ethos, listened to some speakers, participated in an activity and got a vegan hot dog to go. The Orlando veg. community is booming, I remember just 4-5 years ago when I first went vegan and there were only a few (mostly Indian and one Chinese) places.

Indeed, Orlando is really growing into a great city to be veg*n in, and pretty fast I must say. We were at the veg fest last year as well, and I was surprised at all the new blood there this year... There's even some raw options in Orlando now.
#16 Old 11-17-2008, 01:38 PM

AWE! I didn't know about it!!!!

Any other events like this coming this time of year??
#17 Old 11-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi WolfLover! I belong to the Vegetarians of Central Florida Yahoo Group and they have events throughout the year. Here is the latest:

VegCF Thanksgiving Dinner

"This Thanksgiving, why not enjoy a compassionate vegetarian

Thanksgiving celebration among like-minded individuals?

Please join us at the 5th Annual Vegetarians of Central Florida

Thanksgiving Dinner on Saturday, November 29 at 7:00 p.m. at Ethos

Vegan Kitchen. Cost is $20 per person prepaid or $25 at the door ($10

prepaid or $15 at the door for children under 12; free for children

under 5).

You will enjoy a wide range of wonderful vegan holiday dishes, live

musical entertainment, a raffle with many great prizes, and lots of

fun!

Please pay online with Amazon Payments or mail check/money order to:

Vegetarians of Central Florida, 225 Edinburgh Drive, Winter Park, FL

32792. Pre-payment must be received by Wednesday, November 26.

Thanksgiving dinner will include...

-Tofurky with Stuffing

-Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

-Roasted Rosemary Vegetables

-Fresh Homemade Cranberry Sauce

-Bread

-Pumpkin Pie

-Tea and Water

Music: Sarah Purser

Please RSVP at the Vegetarians of Central Florida meetup

(www.meetup.com/VegetariansCF)."

Do you live in Orlando? We are in Deltona.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page