I'm in Jacksonville. Anyone remotely close? \t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Beginner

I'm in Tallahassee (FSU).
#3 Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to school at FSU in Tallahassee, but I didn't go veg until over a decade later, so I can't recommend any restaurants there. I do remember that there was some sort of veg club on campus though, or maybe they were just a community club that came to campus to recruit. I just remember them having a display table and giving out free food samples to anyone who passed by one day at the union.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 AM

I've lived in both Jacksonville and Tallahassee, though I'm currently residing in Jax. I absolutely love Tallahassee compared to the cultureless dollar store mentality of Baptistville. Yelch. Actually, it's probably not THAT bad. I just really really really miss living in Tallahassee. How do you like it here, Kara?
#5 Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloCthulhu View Post

I've lived in both Jacksonville and Tallahassee, thought I'm currently residing in Jax. I absolutely love Tallahassee compared to this dollar store culture crap. Yelch. How do you like it here, Kara?

"Progress... progress...pleasant myth...that makes my life...worth progress." - "Progress" by Mission of Burma
#6 Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 AM

"Progress...progress...pleasant myth...that makes my life...worth progress." - from "Progress" by Mission of Burma
#7 Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 PM

FSU class of '04,
#8 Old 05-18-2008, 02:27 PM

I live in Ocala. Sort of close, not really.
#9 Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vata07 View Post

FSU class of '04,

FSU class of 95. I was a junior for our first national championship, and I even went to the Orange Bowl game where we beat out Nebraska for the title.

--Fromper

#10 Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I just moved from Chicago to Jacksonville (ICW). I'm finding grocery stores a real challenge here.
#11 Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobarbie View Post

I just moved from Chicago to Jacksonville (ICW). I'm finding grocery stores a real challenge here.

Yeah. Organic grocers and the like are pretty scarce around these parts. Are you just having a hard time finding a good grocery store or a few items in specific?
#12 Old 06-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Hi...I'm in Jacksonville as well. The best grocery store that is closest to me is Native Sun on Baymeadows Rd. It is quite large. I know there are some others, but they are pretty spread out. No Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or anything like that. Definitely no vegetarian restaurants, either, though I have figured out a lot of places to eat vegetarian meals. Vegan is next to impossible. Native Sun and Turtle Island foods in Neptune Beach have great vegan sandwiches and other items, though.
#13 Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbird View Post

Hi...I'm in Jacksonville as well. The best grocery store that is closest to me is Native Sun on Baymeadows Rd. It is quite large. I know there are some others, but they are pretty spread out. No Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or anything like that. Definitely no vegetarian restaurants, either, though I have figured out a lot of places to eat vegetarian meals. Vegan is next to impossible. Native Sun and Turtle Island foods in Neptune Beach have great vegan sandwiches and other items, though.

I agree. Fresh Market has a few vegetarian/vegan selections as well, though their fare can get pretty expensive. How long have you lived in Jax?
#14 Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Since I was 3, I'm 31 now. My parents are from here but I was born in Atlanta. I forgot about Fresh Market, they do have a lot of good vegetarian stuff.

I only know one other vegetarian here, and she isn't even from here! We are definitely in the minority.
#15 Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 PM

I moved here from NYC when I was 9, went to community college in Tallahassee, and moved back to Jax around 4 years ago. Plenty of broccoli heads in Tallahassee. I've met two here and "converted" one at work, but that's it. Are you on meetups.com? I'll post a link here:

http://www.meetup.com/search/?keywor...+Meetup+Groups

I haven't attended any of the meetups yet. My summer has been pretty hectic and I'll be out of town first week in August.. But if they're hosting a meetup after August, I'll definitely be there. If you have time check it out. :]
#16 Old 06-29-2008, 08:13 AM

I'm in Lake City, where the interstates cross. Not a very veg*n-friendly place...
#17 Old 07-06-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloCthulhu View Post

I moved here from NYC when I was 9, went to community college in Tallahassee, and moved back to Jax around 4 years ago. Plenty of broccoli heads in Tallahassee. I've met two here and "converted" one at work, but that's it. Are you on meetups.com? I'll post a link here:

http://www.meetup.com/search/?keywor...+Meetup+Groups

I haven't attended any of the meetups yet. My summer has been pretty hectic and I'll be out of town first week in August.. But if they're hosting a meetup after August, I'll definitely be there. If you have time check it out. :]

I have checked out meetup.com but I am reluctant to go to any events. I have never been much of a joiner but I know it would probably be to my benefit!
#18 Old 07-06-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySoStarry View Post

I'm in Lake City, where the interstates cross. Not a very veg*n-friendly place...

I don't know whether I have actually been in Lake City but I have driven through it (on the interstate) many times. Doesn't surprise me that it isn't veg-friendly. I just came back from a trip to Asheville, NC. That place is SUPER-veg-friendly!
#19 Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Beginner

I am in Jacksonville too. Been here a year now, been veggie for about 2 months.

~kathy
#20 Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Beginner

Not sure if everyone already knows this, but they're opening a Whole Foods on San Jose in Jacksonville. Just noticed it today. I am so excited!!!

~kathy
#21 Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathiasplace View Post

Not sure if everyone already knows this, but they're opening a Whole Foods on San Jose in Jacksonville. Just noticed it today. I am so excited!!!

Well...they've been talking about that for a looong time. Is it finally happening? I really wish there was a large natural foods store near where I live (towards Atlantic Beach). Mandarin gets everything.
#22 Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbird View Post

Well...they've been talking about that for a looong time. Is it finally happening? I really wish there was a large natural foods store near where I live (towards Atlantic Beach). Mandarin gets everything.

Well, there are people there working (construction) and a sign saying "Coming Soon Whole Foods". So, I'm hoping it'll be a reality soon.

I have to say that's the worse thing about Jacksonville being so spread out. I am really excited about having a WF though. I like Native Sun for some stuff, but I really like WF.

~kathy
#23 Old 07-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Beginner

I am on the west coast (Tampa area) here!
#24 Old 08-04-2008, 01:34 PM

I'm just outside of Gainesville right now.

I was born here and lived here til I was 19, when I moved to Tallahassee (which for those that aren't politicians or students, that is *the* most boring town I've ever lived in), then to Orlando. I'm back in Gainesville now for various reasons, and am going back veg*n.
#25 Old 08-09-2008, 05:02 AM

I'm outside of Pensacola...it doesnt get much more north than that!

Veg friendly...yeah...uhhh...Nooo.

Meat buffets. Meat buffets. Meat buffets. Seafood Buffets. Burger joint. burger joint. BBQ joint.

You know its bad when I am getting totally excited over a Publix opening in town next week!!
#26 Old 08-28-2008, 02:05 PM

I live in Live Oak....

I'm pretty sure it's the captial of Carnivores. All the guys are regular hunters, own huge gas-guzzling trucks, and wear leather cowboy boots. That describes about 3/4s of the guys in my class(at school) alone.

Very small highschool, by the way. I'm the only vegan and my best friend Amber is the only vegetarian. There's one girl who calls herself a vegetarian that I know of, but I often see her eat fish and chicken... so maybe she's confused?

But there aren't any veg-friendly resturaunts at all here... unless you count ordering a cheeseless veggie delight pizza? Or getting a cheese-free sandwhich at subway?

If I want to go out to eat, we head to Lake City, about 20min drive, and they have vegan burritos at Moe's..
#27 Old 09-02-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicateMeBaby View Post

If I want to go out to eat, we head to Lake City, about 20min drive, and they have vegan burritos at Moe's..

If Lake City is an improvement in any single way... I really feel sorry for you! I can't wait until I can move to Gainesville. Me no like Lake City!
#28 Old 09-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySoStarry View Post

If Lake City is an improvement in any single way... I really feel sorry for you! I can't wait until I can move to Gainesville. Me no like Lake City!

I agree! I've only been out to Lake City once, but there wasn't much there!

~kathy
#29 Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 AM

I live in Tallahassee (and have since I was two). I am currently a student at FSU.
#30 Old 09-27-2009, 08:41 AM

im in jax =] orange park actually

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page