Florida Restaurants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I think maybe it would be nice if we had a thread to post Florida restaurants in. I'll start by listing a few in our area.

Avocado Grill, N. Woodland Blvd. downtown DeLand, FL -- Yet to actually eat here, but the menu looks promising.

The Blue Dahlia, 112 E. 1st Street, Sanford, FL -- Has a separate veg menu.

Ethos Vegan Kitchen, 1235 N. Orange Ave. Orlando, FL -- Just opened, the Orlando Veg meetups have been held there since it opened.

Dandelion Communitea Cafe / Sweet Tooth Vegan Goodies -- 618 N. Thornton Ave. Orlando, FL.

Add to the list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Sublime, Fort Lauderdale.

Completely vegan, and all profits go to ARFF!!
#3 Old 02-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

We actually went to downtown Deland today and had lunch at the Avocado Grill. It was a very enjoyable experience! The service was good. The food was good. The waiter even asked if Jeremy wanted cheese on his hummus pizza which was a good thing since we are vegan. The menu had several choices for us. We had the Bruschetta appetizer. Jer had a red pepper hummus pizza and sweet potato fries. I had the grilled veggie salad. It was our first time at a restaurant that had vegan/vegetarian options. We got tea and lemonade but no dessert. The bill was 32.46 which isn't too bad. I would recommend this restaurant if you are in the Daytona Beach/Deland area.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Is this for strictly veg restaurants, or any veg-friendly places?

--Fromper

#5 Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say veg-friendly as there aren't that many strictly vegetarian/vegan restaurants.

If anyone runs across some, that would be awesome.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#6 Old 02-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Tampa:

Trang's Viet-Cuisine on Fowler Avenue. They have 4 or 5 pages of vegetarian and vegan options, including vegan "cheese"cakes that are delicious!

Udipi - Vegetarian Indian food on Dale Mabry Hwy. Being Indian they of course use a lot of butter so I don't know how vegan friendly the restaurant is, but if you're ovo-lacto the food is very good and everything is vegetarian.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#7 Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Boca Raton: Pine Garden Chinese restaurant has a completely separate vegan menu that's as big as their regular menu.

Across the street (literally) from Pine Garden is Punjab - an Indian place

Delray Beach: Hunan Gardens Chinese has a two sided lunch menu with 20+ omni choices on one side and 5 veg choices on the other. They even do veg soup and spring rolls for the vegans.

Boynton Beach: Pala (used to Maos) is a fast food style falafel place that used to be all veg, but they've started serving meat to attract more omni customers.

--Fromper

#8 Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I love that place! Do they still have like a little veggie met-up club there?

I don't know. I moved from Tampa to Northern Alabama a year ago. The food is the only thing I really miss about Florida ... but boy do I miss it!

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#9 Old 02-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

The hfs "Rolling Oats" in St. Petersburg has a cafe that is awesome. Their website is a work in progress:

http://www.rollinoats.com/retailer/s...UEPXFW532WBWA9
#10 Old 02-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I need to find some friendly places in Gainesville.
#11 Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosev14 View Post

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...lle/index.html

Enjoy
#12 Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks.
#13 Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM

Daytona Beach

The Dancing Avocado Kitchen

Not vegetarian but many interesting vegetarian options.

http://www.avocadokitchen.net/menu.htm
#14 Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Almond Blossom Cafe (100% raw vegan). 408 S DAYTONA AVE, FLAGLER BEACH, FL /386-439-7544 -- I hear one of these will be opening in Jacksonville soon too
#15 Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosev14 View Post

Hey, I'm in Gainesville too!

I recommend:

Reggae Shack, they've got a good sized menu of vegan Jamaican food. Sooo good. It's on University and 6th street.

There's The Top on Main St. and University. They've got some pretty good veggie options (and really awesome sweet potato fries).

I recently went to this casual outdoors place called Steamers on 16th st. and NW 1st ave (walking distance from campus) that has some tempeh meals and other veg options. I had the tempeh fried rice, good stuff.

If you like Indian, there's this awesome place off NW 39th ave and 97th st (a bit past Santa Fe) called Chutnees... lots of good veg*n choices. I like that place a lot.

There's also a restaurant on 13th st. and SW 36 ave. called Merlion, which I haven't been to but I heard had some good veg food.
#16 Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Sublime, Fort Lauderdale.

Completely vegan, and all profits go to ARFF!!

I went there for my birthday and it was AH-MAY-ZING!!! A bit on the pricey side, but still freaking awesome!
#17 Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutaweirdo View Post

I went there for my birthday and it was AH-MAY-ZING!!! A bit on the pricey side, but still freaking awesome!

It's certainly not cheap! But it's nice to know the profits are going to a good cause
#18 Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's certainly not cheap! But it's nice to know the profits are going to a good cause

Very true!!!
#19 Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutaweirdo View Post

I've heard of Sublime, but I've never been. From where I live, it's probably about a 45 minute drive. I'm just not down in that neighborhood much, and I don't go out to eat that often.

Happy Bday, btw.

--Fromper

#20 Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I've heard of Sublime, but I've never been. From where I live, it's probably about a 45 minute drive. I'm just not down in that neighborhood much, and I don't go out to eat that often.

Happy Bday, btw.

--Fromper

Ah, thanks! It was March 25th. Just turned 21.
#21 Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Sad to report, that the Blue Dahlia in Sanford is no longer in business.
#22 Old 06-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Found this about a restaurant in downtown St. Petersburg! I'm going to check it out this weekend!

Awesome vegan french toast and pancakes, tofu BLT's, tempeh salads, vegan biscuits and gravy, falafel salads and many more! Vegan desserts, too! They even explain "Vegan and vegetarian" on their menu!! Local Coffee & Tea / 331 1st Ave. South / St. Pete, 33701 / M-F 7am - 5:30 pm / Sa 9am - 4pm / Phone: 727-551-0201
#23 Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

New raw* restaurant opening in Miami: Lifefood Gourmet. I've had the chef's food before at the Glaser farmer's market, and his food is to die for!

ETA: The menu

*Not vegan, as they use honey in some items
#24 Old 06-18-2008, 11:08 PM

fyvel, thanks so much! I'm in Miami now. I'm going to check that place out!
#25 Old 06-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganHelper View Post

fyvel, thanks so much! I'm in Miami now. I'm going to check that place out!

Do you live in Miami or are you just visiting?
#26 Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Do you live in Miami or are you just visiting?

I'm from Miami but I go to school at UF so I've been down here visiting for a few weeks. Soon I'll be leaving to study abroad in the Netherlands at Utrecht

What about you?
#27 Old 06-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganHelper View Post

I'm from Miami but I go to school at UF so I've been down here visiting for a few weeks. Soon I'll be leaving to study abroad in the Netherlands at Utrecht

What about you?

Cool I've been living in Miami for a little over a year and a half now. Still finding new restaurants and cool places I never knew about!

What are your favorite places to eat?
#28 Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Cool I've been living in Miami for a little over a year and a half now. Still finding new restaurants and cool places I never knew about!

What are your favorite places to eat?

I like this place on US-1 just before the Palmetto expressway junction called Miss Saigon. It's Vietnamese and although it's not all vegetarian, the caramelized seitan and this other vegetable seitan dish are amazing! And the staff there are nice, funny people. Good place to go out for dinner.

There's also this place on Bird Rd. just off of the Palmetto expressway called Bangkok City. It's nothing fancy-shmancy at all but I like the food there, especially the tofu masaman curry and this sweet & sour vegetable dish. As with most Thai restaurants, it's pretty veg-friendly.

For lunch, there's this small health food restaurant in the Grove called the Last Carrot that has good wraps and smoothies. They have a website: http://www.lastcarrot.com/

What about you, what do you recommend in Miami?

Have you ever been to Gainesville? I've found it to be a really vegan-friendly city. Lots of good local restaurants that serve tofu, tempeh, seitan, the works!

I'm leaving town very soon but maybe in the winter if you want to get together for lunch, drop me a line. I'm always down to meet a fellow vegetarian
#29 Old 06-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the recommendations! Nope, never been to Gainesville. Good to know that it's veg friendly, in case I ever make it up that way.

I live on Miami Beach, so most of my favorite places to eat are here.

Guru is an Indian restaurant just off of Washington and .. 12th I believe. They have several dishes that can be made vegan, but their best is their channa masala.

Hakaan Turkish Grill is right next to the Whole Foods on Alton (formerly Wild Oats ), They have really good hummus and red lentil soup. Good for quick take out when I'm too lazy to cook (it's only 3 blocks from where I live).

The Pita Hut on 41st street is good. Kosher, middle eastern type food. We usually get the jumbo platter, minus the baba ganoush (has eggs in it) - this is a big plate of hummus, tahini, falafel, stuffed grape leaves, turkish salad, etc, served with pita.

Pizza Rustica on Lincoln road makes great vegan pizza! Lots of amazing toppings not usually found in pizza places. Books & Books is also on Lincoln road and has several vegetarian and vegan options. They recently added a vegan chicken sandwich that is pretty good.

Daily Bread Market place in Coconut Grove is really tasty, good hummus, tabouleh, best falafel in town! We usually only go there when we go to the Glaser Farmer's Market since they're fairly close to each other (and way out of our way for anything else )

Of course, I do have to mention Sublime even though it is in Fort Lauderdale. Definitely worth the trip. We haven't been up there in a while though, I think we're due to go again

We should definitely meet up some time. My fiance is always complaining that we don't socialize enough Are you a member of any of the south florida meetup groups on meetup.com? We are but it seems like there's always a reason why we can't go to the meetups.

ETA: There's also this little health food store at 5138 Biscayne Blvd called the Honey Tree. We used to go there for lunch from time to time. Homemade meals, mostly vegan (sometimes they would use cheese). I don't know if they're still open, the last couple of times we drove by the place seemed to be boarded up. It has strange hours though, so maybe they just do that when closed for security purposes.
#30 Old 09-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hakaan Turkish Grill is right next to the Whole Foods on Alton (formerly Wild Oats ), They have really good hummus and red lentil soup. Good for quick take out when I'm too lazy to cook (it's only 3 blocks from where I live).

Thanks for all the great tips on local tried and true spots. I have not yet been to Hakaan. Do they have falafel? If so, it it good? While travelling overseas I got so hooked on falafel pitas and can't seem to find anything here that compares.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page