Florida Restaurants - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeVegChick View Post

Thanks for all the great tips on local tried and true spots. I have not yet been to Hakaan. Do they have falafel? If so, it it good? While travelling overseas I got so hooked on falafel pitas and can't seem to find anything here that compares.

Where do you live? There's a good falafel place right down the street from me in Boynton Beach, but that could be a trek if you don't live in Palm Beach County. If anyone's ever passing through Palm Beach along I-95, though, it's worth stopping at this restaurant, since it's fast and right off the interstate.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeVegChick View Post

Thanks for all the great tips on local tried and true spots. I have not yet been to Hakaan. Do they have falafel? If so, it it good? While travelling overseas I got so hooked on falafel pitas and can't seem to find anything here that compares.

Yes, Hakaan has falafel. Don't usually get it though cause it's not so great

Pita Hut on 41st is good. Usually get the Jumbo combo or the.. Mediterranean plate (I think? my fiancee always orders for us lol) with a side of falafel.

Daily Bread has decent falafel too, and really inexpensive to eat here. Don't usually go though cause it's kinda out of our way unless we're on our way to the Glaser farmer's market.

We just tried Lifefood Gourmet for the first time the other day (though we have had the chef's food at the above-mentioned farmers market previously). It was good! But pricey. Right upstairs from Om Garden, which we haven't tried yet.
#33 Old 11-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

We finally got the chance to eat at Ethos Vegan Kitchen in Orlando today. It is a quaint little place right across the street from a park on a lake, very nice. Jer and I both had the "Sheep's pie", a veggie shepherds pie which was very good. The fresh veggies were a bit crisp but I don't mind that at all. It was served with 2 slices of bread that had veggies in it. Colin (who is 7 and a "cheesetarian" ) had pizza. I tried a bite at home and it was very "cheesy", too much Parmesan flavor for me, but good if you like that flavor. Our friend who was with us had a wrap and chips. Haley had garden salad and fruit. I thought it was all very good, service was pretty fast too. Five of us ate for about $54 which wasn't bad. Oh and Colin had to have a chocolate chip cookie on the way out as they have a pastry selection as well. It was very enjoyable and we hope to go back there soon now that we know how to get there!!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

A new vegan restaurant has opened in Orlando!! It is the Loving Hut and is at 2101 E. Colonial Drive. It looks like it is a chain though if you go to the website the Orlando location is not listed. The Feb. Meetup is there but we can never go as it is over 30 miles from us.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#35 Old 08-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Central FL

Already mentioned but I second Dandelions in Orlando- yummy! Just tried Drunken Monkey, also in Orlando. It does have some meat but also plenty of vegan and vegetarian options and was really good. I had a wonderful wrap and my daughter had lentil soup. Apparently they are known for their soup. I highly recommend their vegan brownies- to die for. I'm trying Ethos as recommended by chryssiie next Wednesday- can't wait.

I also just discovered that we have a vegetarian restaurant in Melbourne (shock!). It's called Healthy Garden and serves Asian food including vegetarian sushi. It is on my list to try very soon.

Nikki
#36 Old 03-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

A new vegan art house and bakery has opened in Orlando!!! http://www.raphsodic.com/

#37 Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Beginner

The BF and I live in Miami and go to UM and would love some suggestions! We have eaten at Lifefood Gourmet and really liked it but it was pretty expensive. We are vegan and would love to be able to get take out more often. I read the past reviews and I am pretty sure The Daily Bread closed. We live in the Grove, close enough to walk to The Last Carrot. I got a pita there but the tofu was awful and cold. I think Ill give it another shot though sometime because its a small family place that most people have good things to say about.
#38 Old 03-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Nimbus, I live in Miami Beach with my husband. We were at Daily Bread a few weeks ago and it was still open at that time!
#39 Old 03-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Beginner

Its in the Grove??
#40 Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

ETA: Oops, wrong link

It's just off of South Dixie Hwy:

2400 SW 27th St, Miami FL 33133
#41 Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Its not necessarily walking distance but still- awesome! Thanks!
#42 Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

We just tried Lifefood Gourmet for the first time the other day (though we have had the chef's food at the above-mentioned farmers market previously). It was good! But pricey.

i just heard about this place. it sounds delicious. do you have any recommendation for meat eaters? i want to go there with someone but not turn them off veg*n food by having them eat lots of unfamiliar things and i have no idea what so-called normal foods are anymore
#43 Old 05-24-2010, 02:02 PM

I just found this place in Tampa over the weekend:

http://www.evos.com/

Sooo good! Tried both of their veggie burgers and the air fries. They also have 4 special ketchups. Can't wait until my next trip to Tampa.
#44 Old 05-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybunnies View Post

I just found this place in Tampa over the weekend:

http://www.evos.com/

Sooo good! Tried both of their veggie burgers and the air fries. They also have 4 special ketchups. Can't wait until my next trip to Tampa.

They are pretty good yes! I like the corn dogs and fries when I go there. I heard the chili is good also. Its just a bit out of my budget.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#45 Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

They are pretty good yes! I like the corn dogs and fries when I go there. I heard the chili is good also. Its just a bit out of my budget.

They no longer have the veggie corn dogs. We think that they used the Morning Star corn dogs, and they don't make them anymore.
#46 Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybunnies View Post

They no longer have the veggie corn dogs. We think that they used the Morning Star corn dogs, and they don't make them anymore.

Damn.

I go here http://www.tijuanaflats.com/index.php a bit more anyway. I love spicy foods!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#47 Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

End of the Line Cafe (all vegan) - Pensacola, FL

I'm sad I'm so far from you other Floridia people
#48 Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

We are spread out all over the state aren't we? I do believe every region of Florida is represented on this board!

#49 Old 06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been using the VegOut app when traveling and it's been helping double check all of your suggestions.
#50 Old 07-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned

I just ate at a restaurant that I can wholeheartedly recommend. It is called Vegetarian Restaurant By Hakim. I wrote a review of it on Google. Here's what I wrote:

Quote:
On vacation today in Miami, I looked up vegetarian restaurants. Reading the positive reviews on Google, my friends and I decided to go here to eat. I am glad we picked this one. First off, we met Hakin, the owner. He was super friendly and interesting to talk to. You can tell he has a passion for cooking and likes what he does. That means something to me as a restaurant lover. I got to meet the owner, not somebody who just works for a paycheck. One cool thing is this place won Miami NewTimes 2010 Best Vegetarian Restaurant award.

That being said, let's talk food. The restaurant may have the word vegetarian in the name, but everything served is vegan. One thing I liked is that he had the three dinner specials in a display so you get a visual of them and an idea of the portion size. Collectively, we ordered 3 meals, a stew, desserts and a strawberry mango smoothie. For the smoothie, you have the option to have it sweetened with sugar squeezed from whole sugar cane. It is squeezed right in front of you with a machine that extracts the sugar. I have never seen this done before and it is definitely cool to watch. It added a subtle taste that made it irresistible. The meals came out and I got to eat a little of everything that we all ordered. Everything was seasoned perfectly and cooked well. The seitan "steak" chunks were my favorite of the meals. I can't find fault in any of the dishes. Everything was just plain tasty, right down to the salad dressing. The menu changes some items on a daily basis. Personally, I love that idea because it keeps menu fresh (look to the marker board for the daily selections). For dessert, I chose a slice of pineapple cake. The frosting was extremely creamy and cake had a perfect balance between sweet and fruity. Vegan and delicious: you can have your cake and eat it, too. As for prices, I was pleasantly surprised how reasonable they were for this area. Most meals are in the $6-$9 range. My conclusion: the food was awesome, the owner was friendly and the prices are reasonable. Highly recommended. This restaurant has earned a spot in my top three favorite vegan/vegetarian restaurants.

Info so you can find the place and read more reviews:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ci...YionE_XjCXJr_Q
#51 Old 07-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Since mexican is always so veganizable, I definately recomed Tijuana Flats, the refried bean chimichanga or the black bean floutas........drool

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#52 Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFL' date='29 July 2010 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1280383908' post='2680189 View Post

Since mexican is always so veganizable, I definately recomed Tijuana Flats, the refried bean chimichanga or the black bean floutas........drool

I find it to be the opposite. Many restaurants use lard in their beans and chicken broth in their rice. I wish that wasn't the case. We have a Tijuana Flats nearby, are you sure it's safe?
#53 Old 07-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I asked about the lard, bu not the rice. I never eat mexican yellow rice anyways so it never came up.

#54 Old 07-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Cool. I didn't know we had one, I drove past one today, wishing we had gone there for lunch. I found a place online (Mexican food) that had a vegetarian section on their menu. The place was called Cazadores. We got there and discovered their beans contained lard. We almost walked out, but we were STARVING. We were very disappointed the entire time. I wrote bad reviews for the place on Yelp and Yahoo.

I can't wait to try Tijuana Flats!!!! Thanks for the suggestion.
#55 Old 08-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64' date='31 July 2010 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1280624312' post='2681421 View Post

I can't wait to try Tijuana Flats!!!! Thanks for the suggestion.

Tijuana Flats is my favorite of all fast food Mexican style restaurants (versus Qdoba, Salasaritas, Moes, Chipotle, etc).

Just beware because they put bacon in their pinto beans. The black beans are safe. Their medium sized vegetarian burrito is huge. I seriously doubt you could eat their large.
#56 Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

I seriously doubt I could finish half of a medium My boyfriend and I share every time we go out. I'm REALLY excited about the chips and guacamole. Are they as good as Chipotles?
#57 Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Get a chimichanga! Its a deep fried burrito!!!!!!!!!

#58 Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Be careful with the lard though, it would probably still be safest to ask. Mine said they didnt, but I do get paranoid that they were just lying, or just didnt have initiative to check. They seemed like they honestly checked and were concerned for me.

#59 Old 08-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFL' date='01 August 2010 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1280682203' post='2681652 View Post

Get a chimichanga! Its a deep fried burrito!!!!!!!!!

I had one yesterday. I grew up in So Cal, I miss good Mexican food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFL' date='01 August 2010 - 12:06 PM' timestamp='1280682379' post='2681654 View Post

Be careful with the lard though, it would probably still be safest to ask. Mine said they didnt, but I do get paranoid that they were just lying, or just didnt have initiative to check. They seemed like they honestly checked and were concerned for me.

Their website says they don't use lard. They sound just like Chipotle, which is great because we don't have one here and I miss that place.
#60 Old 08-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

I went to Tijuana Flats today, it was pretty good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page