Florida Central Florida - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll take it upon myself to start the Central Florida thread.

As some of you may already know my wife Chryssiie718 and I hail from Deltona Florida; that's half way between Daytona Beach and Orlando.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Titletown, hehe. Gainesville that is.
#3 Old 02-27-2008, 03:50 PM

I am in Daytona Beach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VeggieBoards
#5 Old 02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Ditto.
#6 Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Thanks! I am pretty new to this. Is there anything restaurants around deltona that are vegan friendly? I used to live in deltona! right off cloverleaf if you know where that is.
#7 Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sprouting View Post

Thanks! I am pretty new to this. Is there anything restaurants around deltona that are vegan friendly? I used to live in deltona! right off cloverleaf if you know where that is.

Cloverleaf.... That's off of Deltona Blvd, right?

There's not much for vegan friendly in the Deltona / Orange City / Deland area. The only places that I know so far is the Avocado Grill, downtown Deland on Woodland and the Blue Dahlia in Sanford (yet to try). How about in Daytona? Any restaurant recommendations? If you do know have something in mind posting in the Florida restaurants thread would be excellent
#8 Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 AM

I'm in Lake Mary - grew up in Ormond Beach, just moved back to FL after 8 years in NYC. Any good veggie restaurants in the Lake Mary/Altamonte area?
#9 Old 02-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinspain View Post

I'm in Lake Mary - grew up in Ormond Beach, just moved back to FL after 8 years in NYC. Any good veggie restaurants in the Lake Mary/Altamonte area?

Welcome to VB! The only place I know of in Altamonte that has veg choices is Sweet Tomatoes which is on Highway 436 at Montgomery Rd. As far as Lake Mary, there are no listings on Happy Cow at all. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just not listed.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#10 Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Cloverleaf.... That's off of Deltona Blvd, right?

There's not much for vegan friendly in the Deltona / Orange City / Deland area. The only places that I know so far is the Avocado Grill, downtown Deland on Woodland and the Blue Dahlia in Sanford (yet to try). How about in Daytona? Any restaurant recommendations? If you do know have something in mind posting in the Florida restaurants thread would be excellent

Yes! Exactly! Right of Deltona Blvd. I will go post a place that I know is vegetarian friendly but not just vegetarian. They really do have many options. We also have a whole foods here! Have you been?
#11 Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sprouting View Post

Yes! Exactly! Right of Deltona Blvd. I will go post a place that I know is vegetarian friendly but not just vegetarian. They really do have many options. We also have a whole foods here! Have you been?

Whole Foods? In Daytona Beach? Wow, I thought the closest one was in Winter Park. The Daytona Beach store isn't listed on Whole Foods' website. Could you give an idea of where it's at?
#12 Old 02-28-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Whole Foods? In Daytona Beach? Wow, I thought the closest one was in Winter Park. The Daytona Beach store isn't listed on Whole Foods' website. Could you give an idea of where it's at?

It's not the whole foods store you are thinking of. It's a Love whole foods. Much smaller than whole foods but still someplace to visit for a veg foodie. They must be owned by the same people though because when you click on their link from a google search it goes to the main whole foods site. Go ahead and google them and you will see. It's not ocean side so it's closer to you.

Love Whole Foods

275 Williamson Blvd

Ormond Beach, FL 32174

(386) 677-5236

Definitely MUCH smaller than a real whole foods store. like a small fraction of one. Interesting to visit and see though.
#13 Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM

I'm about 45 minutes out of Gainesville.
#14 Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySoStarry View Post

I'm about 45 minutes out of Gainesville.

Which direction? We are south and east of Gainesville about a 2 hour drive.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#15 Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Chryssie! I haven't found any vegetarian restaurants in Lake Mary yet, but at least there are a few Indian and Thai places with pretty good veggie options.

Re: Love Whole Foods in Ormond Beach - it's an independent, family-owned store, but the name is def. confusing. It's actually got a very nice selection, but is even pricier than Whole Paycheck (they sell all cafe items 2-for-1 every evening, at least ;-)
#16 Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinspain View Post

Re: Love Whole Foods in Ormond Beach - it's an independent, family-owned store, but the name is def. confusing. It's actually got a very nice selection, but is even pricier than Whole Paycheck (they sell all cafe items 2-for-1 every evening, at least ;-)

very pricey. I went there tonight to buy stuff to make ribz (my first seitan attempt and I loved it) and left with a little bag but a big bill. So it's not affiliated in any way to "whole foods"?! I was confused when google directed me to "whole foods" odd.
#17 Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

Which direction? We are south and east of Gainesville about a 2 hour drive.

North. The Lake City area, but no one knows little old Lake City, so I usually just say I'm near Gainesville, lol.
#18 Old 03-04-2008, 06:13 AM

Where do you guys buy your wheat gluten? I need to find a cheaper place.
#19 Old 05-02-2008, 03:27 PM
eno

Hi, a Deltona vegan here. I get the boxes of Hodgson Mill Vital Wheat Gluten for making seitan from either the local Publix or Walmart. They are pretty cheap either way and go a long way, if I'm not too lazy to make it. They have them near the flour and stuff in Walmart in Orange City and near the "Greenwise" wall at Publix in Orange City. Slightly more expensive at Publix, IIRC.
#20 Old 05-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eno View Post

Hi, a Deltona vegan here. I get the boxes of Hodgson Mill Vital Wheat Gluten for making seitan from either the local Publix or Walmart. They are pretty cheap either way and go a long way, if I'm not too lazy to make it. They have them near the flour and stuff in Walmart in Orange City and near the "Greenwise" wall at Publix in Orange City. Slightly more expensive at Publix, IIRC.

Hi, me and my wife are also Deltona vegans! Welcome to veggieboards
#21 Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 PM
eno

Thanks
#22 Old 06-12-2008, 08:26 AM

I'm from Port Orange. 'Moved here from Ormond Beach about 4 years ago.
#23 Old 07-20-2008, 04:56 PM

Hi, I'm from Oviedo, been there about 12 years now. Any good Oviedo/Winter Springs/Sanford places? (Particularly Sanford, I'm usually around there at dinner time.)

I've been to the Sweet Tomatoes in Altamonte one or two times; I love that place!
#24 Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah132 View Post

Hi, I'm from Oviedo, been there about 12 years now. Any good Oviedo/Winter Springs/Sanford places? (Particularly Sanford, I'm usually around there at dinner time.)

I've been to the Sweet Tomatoes in Altamonte one or two times; I love that place!

I just tried Sweet Tomatoes for the first time this past weekend, though I was at the one in Ft. Lauderdale. Pretty good place. I actually go to Altamonte Springs a couple of times per year, and I usually stay at a hotel about a block from the Sweet Tomatoes there, so I'll have to eat there next time I'm in town (which might be mid-August).

There's also a Chinese place right down the street from there that I really like. It's in the Publix shopping plaza across the street from the Altamonte Springs Mall. For that matter, the Japanese fast food place in the mall food court has a decent tofu dish.

The availability of good veg*n food around there is one of the things I like about staying in Altamonte Springs.

--Fromper

#25 Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

We get over there in Altamonte Springs from time to time as well. Thanks for those suggests Fromper. I just always worry about the Asian places tendency to use animal broths... You confirmed that these don't I take it
#26 Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We get over there in Altamonte Springs from time to time as well. Thanks for those suggests Fromper. I just always worry about the Asian places tendency to use animal broths... You confirmed that these don't I take it

Yeah, these seemed to be good.

The Japanese place in the mall seemed a little confused when I asked about broths, but they claimed they were ok. It was the kind of conversation where I come away wondering if they were just saying that to get my business when they had no idea what I was talking about, though. What do you expect from mall fast food? It tasted ok, though. The couple of times I've accidentally eaten stuff with chicken broth since going veg, I've been able to tell immediately from the taste.

The Chinese place was actually recommended to me by the Central Florida veg meetup group at meetup.com. They have a few good veg dishes, so I always stop in there when I'm in town. I have an omni friend who used to live in NYC and now lives in Orlando that I took to that restaurant, and he said it was the best Chinese food he's ever had outside China Town in New York.

The meetup group also recommended an Indian place near there, but I haven't found it yet. They were very helpful and friendly. If I lived in Central Florida, I'd definitely join that meetup. I'm in the veg meetups for South Florida and Palm Beach County, but I drive 3 hours north to your neck of the woods often enough that I thought it was worthwhile to ask the Central Florida group for restaurant recommendations, and they came through for me.

--Fromper

#27 Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah132 View Post

You might have already found some places since you posted this, but I live in Orlando, so here are some good places: Ethos Vegan Kitchen, Dandelion Communitea Cafe, Stardust, Austin Coffee & Film. There's also FNB lunches every week at Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando.
#28 Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 PM

I'm between Tampa and Orlando.

It's hard to believe we have vegetarians in this town.

It's quite reassuring though.
#29 Old 03-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eistxist View Post

You might have already found some places since you posted this, but I live in Orlando, so here are some good places: Ethos Vegan Kitchen, Dandelion Communitea Cafe, Stardust, Austin Coffee & Film. There's also FNB lunches every week at Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando.

Stardust is good, but the king of veggie places here in Orlando, IMO, is Garden Cafe on Colonial, a few blocks west of I-4
#30 Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eistxist View Post

Yeah, I've already found some places. In fact, a bunch of veggie friends and I went to this lovely family-owned cafe the other week. Mmm, humus and red pepper sandwiches!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page