Florida Central Florida - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 AM

Hi! I'm in Orlando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 PM

Hey! I live in Altamonte Springs I've been to sweet tomatoes quite a few times. The place would be 100% vegetarian if it wasn't for two of their soups which are chicken ;[ I'm also a big fan of Ethos as well.
#33 Old 04-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrotMami420 View Post

Hi! I'm in Orlando

Welcome to VB!

We live in Deltona and wish we were able to get over to all the lovely places in Orlando on a regular basis. We have been to Ethos once and found it very enjoyable. I love the location!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-11-2009, 05:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etofe View Post

Hey! I live in Altamonte Springs I've been to sweet tomatoes quite a few times. The place would be 100% vegetarian if it wasn't for two of their soups which are chicken ;[ I'm also a big fan of Ethos as well.

Welcome to you as well!!

My sister lives in Altamonte and we go over there pretty often. As yet haven't tried Sweet Tomatoes though I have heard good things about them. As we are vegan, do they have options for us there?

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#35 Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

hey everyone. living in clearwater and gainesville (2 houses, but going to sell the one in clearwater). working in clearwater until i sell it. great to be here, i'm an ovo-lacto (basically, i eat yogurt and no-fat eggs) and i do eat some fish on occasion, so i'm certainly not a purist. i would like to learn more, however. .
#36 Old 07-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Hi all. I am down in Kissimmee. I am finding the area I am in to be a vast wasteland of bad food. I have lived in Florida for almost exactly one year. I love the weather here in Florida but miss the good shopping, eating, and produce in Vermont. Lack of good produce is my biggest complaint. Maybe I just have not found it yet.
#37 Old 07-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlykisses View Post

Hi all. I am down in Kissimmee. I am finding the area I am in to be a vast wasteland of bad food. I have lived in Florida for almost exactly one year. I love the weather here in Florida but miss the good shopping, eating, and produce in Vermont. Lack of good produce is my biggest complaint. Maybe I just have not found it yet.

hi and welcome! Have you looked for Farmer's Markets? I am not familiar with the Kissimmee area but you can search online and find local markets. Surely there are some down that way. Good luck!

#38 Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Really? I'm kind of surprised by this. I don't live in central Florida, but I know that even Publix supermarkets at the south end of the state where I live usually have decent produce. And when I visit the Orlando area, I never have a problem eating out, though I don't hit the grocery stores in the area.

--Fromper

#39 Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 AM

There are a couple farmers markets in Kissimmee but they are pretty sad. Publix has a good selection of stuff but it is just plain old grocery store stuff. Sorry I think I might be a produce snob. I was spoiled for way too long.

Now that we have bought a house I am going to start learning about gardening here so I can grow my own veggies. Eventually we would like to grow fruit too. We live out in a less populated area so our yard is big and I have the space. I just have no clue about the growing seasons here.
#40 Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There are a couple farmers markets in Kissimmee but they are pretty sad. Publix has a good selection of stuff but it is just plain old grocery store stuff. Sorry I think I might be a produce snob. I was spoiled for way too long.

Now that we have bought a house I am going to start learning about gardening here so I can grow my own veggies. Eventually we would like to grow fruit too. We live out in a less populated area so our yard is big and I have the space. I just have no clue about the growing seasons here.

I plan on having a garden eventually, and found this site to be pretty helpful.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VH021
#41 Old 07-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Thank you for sharing the link Jeremy. That is exactly the information I need. Up in Vermont you grow food (ok any plant really) from Memorial day until sometime in September and that is it. It is so crazy to see the different growing seasons here in Florida. I will be checking this out and making some plans for fall
#42 Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay, so many Floridians! I'm in Melbourne. Born and raised in Jacksonville and lived 7 years in Boynton Beach (plus a few in Coral Springs). I'm working on covering the east coast, lol.

Nikki
#43 Old 08-01-2009, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I have lived in Central FLorida for 20 years, less a couple when I left for a bit. I have never even traveled much though I would love to see other areas. We are probably going to relocate in a few years to a more veg-friendly area... but NOT Orlando. We are thinking perhaps the Gainsville area.

#44 Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

I have lived in Central FLorida for 20 years, less a couple when I left for a bit. I have never even traveled much though I would love to see other areas. We are probably going to relocate in a few years to a more veg-friendly area... but NOT Orlando. We are thinking perhaps the Gainsville area.

Tallahassee is really veg friendly too. They even have street vegan lunch carts. It's a beautiful town but gets way too cold for wimpy me.

Nikki
#45 Old 08-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I will do some research on Tallahassee. I like university towns as they tend to be more diverse.

#46 Old 08-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned

i love gainesville. got 6 acres up here, have planted probably 30 fruit trees this year, 14 grape vines, 25 blueberries, several types of blackberries. trying to set up to be pretty self sufficient. it's a long term project . unfortunately, looks like i gotta go to work in texas for a few mos in october. after that, i'm not leaving gainesville again.
#47 Old 08-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbubbles View Post

Tallahassee is really veg friendly too. They even have street vegan lunch carts. It's a beautiful town but gets way too cold for wimpy me.

agreed, it's a beautiful place.
#48 Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbubbles View Post

Yay, so many Floridians! I'm in Melbourne. Born and raised in Jacksonville and lived 7 years in Boynton Beach (plus a few in Coral Springs). I'm working on covering the east coast, lol.

Interesting coincidence - I've lived in both Boynton Beach and Coral Springs, also. Other than those, the only Florida town I've lived in is Tallahassee, when I went to school at FSU.

--Fromper

#49 Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I will be in Orlando this weekend!!!!!!!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#50 Old 12-21-2009, 08:15 PM

I just moved to Port Richey from Gainesville area. So I am now closer to Clearwater, St Pete and Tampa. Gainesville sure has a lot o vegetarians. Not any strictly veg restaurants, there is one `book lovers cafe`. A lot o vegetarians like to go to Chopsticks, asian restaurant, veg. friendly. Anybody knows anything in here, or Clearwater, St Pete...I know one Indian veg restaurant in Tampa.
#51 Old 12-27-2009, 11:37 PM

I'm from Orlando. =] And whoever mentioned Ethos - Sunday brunch there is the BEST thing ever.
#52 Old 01-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

Okay, Florida, you've had your fun with this cold weather, but now let's return to normal, okay? Anyone else feeling that way?

Nah - it's not that bad. Besides, we haven't even had any snow yet.

--Fromper

#53 Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I HATE this weather!! My little 1967 house does not have central heat/AC and I have 2 small electric space heaters running. I have on multiple layers of clothing, drink hot liquids all day long, and I am still COLD.

And who wants snow anyway... I moved down here to get away from that nasty cold stuff!! LOL I want my nice warm Florida sun BACK!!

#54 Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhavi View Post

I just moved to Port Richey from Gainesville area. So I am now closer to Clearwater, St Pete and Tampa. Gainesville sure has a lot o vegetarians. Not any strictly veg restaurants, there is one `book lovers cafe`. A lot o vegetarians like to go to Chopsticks, asian restaurant, veg. friendly. Anybody knows anything in here, or Clearwater, St Pete...I know one Indian veg restaurant in Tampa.

I'm from Port Richey! (Though I'm currently living in TN.) I wasn't veg when I lived there so I can't offer an advise, but I hope you can find some good options. I'll likely be moving to Tampa this summer and I'll post in this thread if I find anything good down that way.
#55 Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm planning to visit Orlando this weekend, assuming I can get my car fixed this week. I'll be staying at a hotel downtown, just off I-4 - 60 South Ivanhoe Blvd to be exact. Any good restaurant recommendations near there?

Also, anyone want to meet while I'm there? I've never met any other VB'ers in person before.

--Fromper

#56 Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Beginner

Anyone hear of a little ol' town called Clermont?
#57 Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamthebassist View Post

Anyone hear of a little ol' town called Clermont?

Heard of it, but I don't recall where it is. Of course, I also live down south and only visit the central part of the state a couple of times per year.

Speaking of which, I wrote this yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I'm planning to visit Orlando this weekend, assuming I can get my car fixed this week. I'll be staying at a hotel downtown, just off I-4 - 60 South Ivanhoe Blvd to be exact. Any good restaurant recommendations near there?

Also, anyone want to meet while I'm there? I've never met any other VB'ers in person before.

I just plugged the address of the hotel into Google maps, then clicked "search nearby", and searched for the word "restaurant", in order to see what was nearby and plan ahead.

Of the first 10 restaurants it brought up near my hotel, 3 of them have the word "vegetarian" or "vegan" in their names!!! Other than a fast food falafel place, I've never actually been to an entirely veg*n restaurant before. And there are 3 of them! Within 2 miles of my hotel!!!

Excuse me while I go get a mop to clean up the blood and grey matter from the floor - my head just exploded.

So I knew Ethos Vegan Kitchen sounded familiar - it's been mentioned in this thread. There's also Garden Cafe' Vegetarian Restaurant and Dandelion Communitea CafeOrganic Vegetarian Teahouse. Looks like Garden Cafe's been mentioned in this thread, too. I'll be in Orlando in time for dinner Friday evening, then all meals Saturday and Sunday, though I'm likely to leave town late afternoon Sunday and just grab some pizza or BK veggie burger on the turnpike on my way home. So I do have time to hit all 3 of them, along with other restaurants in the area.

So what do you all recommend? Are any of these specifically best for breakfast or dinner or whatever? Also, are there other restaurants right around there that I should visit while I'm there?

--Fromper

#58 Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could meet with you this weekend Fromper!! Unfortunately I am busy both Sat. and Sunday. The only restaurant I have been to is Ethos and it is excellent. They have Sunday brunch which I am dying to get to one of these days.

#59 Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

I wish I could meet with you this weekend Fromper!! Unfortunately I am busy both Sat. and Sunday. The only restaurant I have been to is Ethos and it is excellent. They have Sunday brunch which I am dying to get to one of these days.

Sunday brunch at Ethos sounds good. I'm playing in a chess tournament with games at 9 AM and 2 PM Sunday that could last up to 4 hours each, so I should have time for brunch at 1 PM. Heck, if the weather's warm enough, and my morning game ends early enough, I might even walk there from the hotel - it's only .4 miles, according to Google.

Other than the 3 veggie restaurants I mentioned in my last post, I also hunted around on Google and discovered that there's a sushi place about .3 miles south of the hotel, on Orange Ave, that has good veggie options, according to their online menu.

I should be eating better than anticipated this weekend. This tournament organizer always used to hold tournaments in Altamonte Springs, near a very good Chinese place, the big mall that has some good veg options, Sweet Tomatoes restaurant down the street, etc. I was a little worried when he switched the location for this and other upcoming tournaments to downtown Orlando, because I didn't know if there would be as many good veg*n food options. But it turns out, this area is at least as good for veg*ns!

--Fromper

#60 Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

So I ate pretty well over the weekend. I tried to go to Garden Cafe for lunch Saturday, but I got there at 11:30, and they don't open until noon. So I went to Dandelion instead. They were pretty good. I went to Ethos twice - for dinner Friday night and Sunday brunch. I even walked there in the good weather on Sunday. I really like that place, especially since it was so close.

I also ventured further east on Colonial drive at one point and recognized a bunch of veg-friendly chain restaurants only about 2 miles down - Sweet Tomatoes, Chipolte, Pei Wei, etc.

Even the hotel restaurant had a reasonably priced vegetarian pasta dish, though they loaded it up with way too much cheese. I'll eat some cheese occasionally, but I hate when they drown it in the stuff like that. If I eat there again next time I'm there, I might ask them to hold the cheese on that pasta dish and just have it vegan style.

Anyway, it looks like that hotel will be the location of more chess tournaments in the future, so I'm pretty happy that there are a ton of good options. Now I just have to see if I can afford the money and time off work to make the trip up there for those tourneys.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page