Florida - Page 9 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#241 Old 03-26-2007, 04:18 PM

Hello

I'm going to see the cartoonist and comedian Dan Piraro, the creator of the award-winning syndicated cartoon Bizarro. The guy is HILARIOUS. He has a show this coming Sunday, April 1st at the Octagon Arts Center in Clearwater. It's located at the Unitarian Universalist Church off of Nursery Road. When you take 60 from Tampa, it's only about 20 min from the Airport. And if you're coming from North East St. Petersburg, it's also about 20 min. North on U.S. 19. You can learn more about this event and see loads of his cartoons at www.BizarroArtist.org. This is not an April fools day joke, but you will laugh a lot.

Here's a link to the Google Map:

http://www.tinyurl.com/ypl849

Address, Date, etc:

Sunday, April 1, 2007 at 6:00 pm

Octagon Arts Center at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Clearwater

2470 Nursery Road

Clearwater, FL 33764

Tickets are cheap: $6.50 general admission and 3.50 for students. This is a charity event for Florida Voices for Animals, so you'll have a good time and help fury friends too. You can purchase tickets at the door or online and they will hold your tickets at the door: www.BizarroArtist.org

I've copied some stuff from the site for this event:

"This guy's got a lot of very funny stuff." -- Jerry Seinfield

"We think he's a comic genius." -- Penn and Teller

Get tickets and learn more at www.BizarroArtist.org

On behalf of Florida Voices for Animals, a non-profit charitable organization, Dan Piraro, artist, comedian, and author best known for the award-winning syndicated cartoon "Bizarro" will present a multi-media overview of his career and his unique, humorous perspective on the world at large, entitled: "Cartoons, Comedy, and Compassion". This event takes place on Sunday, April 1, 2007 at the Unitarian Universalist Octagon Art Center in Clearwater at 6 pm. Tickets are $3.50 for students and $6.50 for the general public. They can be purchased at the event or online at www.BizarroArtist.org. Door prizes consisting of environmentally-friendly, fair made or fair trade products and an autographed copy of Dan Piraro's latest book will be given away to some lucky attendees.

To learn more about this event, to purchase tickets, and to browse a large gallery of Dan Piraro's cartoons, please visit www.BizarroArtist.org.

About Dan Piraro:

Dan Piraro is a popular speaker for animal welfare, public health, and environmental groups. He was awarded the Humane Society's Genesis Award for Outstanding Cartoonist in 2002, 2003, and 2005 for his animal welfare themed cartoons.

Bizarro was first syndicated in 1985 and has since then built a steady and loyal following on four continents. It currently appears daily in around 250 markets in North and South America, Europe and Asia. Bizarro has won an unprecedented three consecutive Reuben Awards from the National Cartoonist Society for "Best Cartoon Panel of the Year," in 1999, 2000, and 2001. Piraro has been nominated for its highest award, "Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year", for the years 2002 to the present.

In numerous major newspapers around the country, Bizarro is published seven days a week, so Dan Piraro literally has to create a joke a day and an illustration to go with it. Regarding Piraro's work, comedian Jerry Seinfield stated, "This guy's got a lot of very funny stuff." The comedy duo Penn and Teller remarked, "We think he's a comic genius." The popular news publication and web magazine, the Onion, wrote, "Dan Piraro is indisputably one of the best cartoonists currently playing the game. Piraro's daily Bizarro is like fresh air compared to the rest of most comics pages -- it's surreal, opinionated, and consistently funny."

In 2006, America's premier art book publisher, Abrams Books, published Bizarro and Other Strange Manifestations of the Art of Dan Piraro , a two hundred page retrospective of Dan Piraro's career. The book includes images from his cartoons, fine art, commercial illustration, sketchbooks, and comedy shows, as well as a lengthy and humorous autobiographical essay.

\t

See you there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah, darn! I wished we lived closer.. that's a good 4 hour drive from Miami
#243 Old 03-31-2007, 06:54 AM

It looks like I am still Lake City's only vegetarian!

You know, I have never met another vegetarian in real life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#244 Old 03-31-2007, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Just found out about a new vegetarian restaurant in South Beach. It's at 1501 Collins Ave (just slightly east of Collins on 15th). It's called Fusion Natural and Organic Restuarant. We haven't tried it yet but we did stop by to check out their menu last night. It looks great and we'll be going there really soon. It will be nice to have a veg restaurant on South Beach
#245 Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Beginner

Hi everyone!

I'm going to to spend a few months in the summer down in Florida (Tampa area) doing some canvassing work for U.S. PIRG and the Sierra Club. Their office is located in South Tampa and I am currently looking for a temporary apartment. Which areas are good? And... how is the availability of vegetarian cuisine down there? Thank you!

#246 Old 04-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnavibes View Post

And... how is the availability of vegetarian cuisine down there? Thank you!

I don't know much about Tampa; I'm a bit further south in Sarasota. I would be prepared to do your own cooking (but I would recommend this regardless of where you are moving). Just to show you it's not hopeless for veggies down here: http://www.vegsarasota.com/

Good luck!

#247 Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithFoxes View Post

I don't know much about Tampa; I'm a bit further south in Sarasota. I would be prepared to do your own cooking (but I would recommend this regardless of where you are moving). Just to show you it's not hopeless for veggies down here: http://www.vegsarasota.com/

Good luck!

Ooooooooh thats great! As long as I can find like a whole foods down there, I'll be fine.
#248 Old 04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ooooooooh thats great! As long as I can find like a whole foods down there, I'll be fine.

Yes, there's a Whole Foods Market in downtown Sarasota. However, if you're up in Tampa it would be a pain to drive down on a regular basis (when you find out about Florida drivers - among the worst in the U.S. - you'll understand what I mean...) There are 'alternative' groceries around where you can pick up veggie-friendly staples that you can't find in the mainline supermarkets. I wouldn't worry about it - just be prepared to ask some locals when you get down here.

#249 Old 06-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone been to Sublime since it reopened? Darn, I wished we lived closer to Ft Lauderdale (we live in Miami Beach). But I suppose it is a good thing since that place ain't cheap.

We've been enjoying the Glaser Raw Vegan Organic Farmer's Market on Saturdays.

Anyone else here live in the Miami area??
#250 Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hi everyone!

I'm going to to spend a few months in the summer down in Florida (Tampa area) doing some canvassing work for U.S. PIRG and the Sierra Club. Their office is located in South Tampa and I am currently looking for a temporary apartment. Which areas are good? And... how is the availability of vegetarian cuisine down there? Thank you!

ya that is around the part I stay. There is a lot of places to eat. I do not know about the apt thing allthougt this is a late responce.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#251 Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I might be traveling north (from Palm Beach County) to chess tournaments held at these hotels in the next couple of months:

Orlando Hilton North

350 S North Lake Blvd at I-4 & Rt 436,

Altamonte Springs FL 32701.

and

Plaza Ocean Club

640 N. Atlantic Avenue

Daytona Beach 32118

Does anyone have any recommendations for veg restaurants near those? I don't even know if the hotels have their own restaurants. I'm l/o veg, but I try to stay close to vegan where convenient. One of these tournaments is end of July and the other is end of August, so I have time to research it, but I thought I'd ask early so y'all have plenty of time to respond.

My biggest issue is that sometimes games are scheduled to begin only half an hour after the previous game ends, and I'm a fairly slow player, so my games could go the full time control. That could leave me with very little time for some meals, so I need to have a plan in advance, even if it's just knowing that there's a Subway down the street.

--Fromper

#252 Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
DAX

Anyone on VeggieBoards from Central Florida? I'd be nice to make some connections. I'm highly interested in local awareness of animal rights. Have been vegetarian for five years, but active with animal rights for over seven. It'd be nice to have others in the area to get together with and talk about the local community through the eyes of other vegetarians and vegans.
#253 Old 07-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Dax, head to meetup.com and look up the Central Florida Veg group. I'm in the southern part of the state, but I joined the central group just to post on their message board for advice on where to eat when I visit the Orlando area. It seems like a fairly large and active group (as opposed to the large and inactive group down here).

--Fromper
#254 Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM

Just found this forum.

I live in Miami, and travel South as Homestead and North as Boca in any given day. Business and all.
#255 Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome It's nice to see someone else who lives in Miami around here. I'm currently in South Beach.
#256 Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 PM

I just moved to Tampa from much further north. I'm excited to explore more and see what I can find, but it's SO hot.
#257 Old 08-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.b. View Post

I just moved to Tampa from much further north. I'm excited to explore more and see what I can find, but it's SO hot.

This is my first summer in Florida, and really it hasn't been too bad at all. There are places up north that get MUCH hotter during the summer - been there, done that. The regular afternoon rains are nice, too. True, the humidity is high, but it gets plenty humid up north in some places, too. For a change of pace, it would be nice to be WAY up north (e.g. Maine) just to experience a cool night.
#258 Old 08-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This is my first summer here too and it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. It has been hot the past couple of weeks - one day was downright unbearable. But give it a few weeks and you'll see that the weather is great here for most of the year.

Can I ask where you moved from?
#259 Old 08-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

This is my first summer here too and it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. It has been hot the past couple of weeks - one day was downright unbearable. But give it a few weeks and you'll see that the weather is great here for most of the year.

Can I ask where you moved from?

I'm a Pennsylvania girl.

I went out today (having been here a couple weeks now) and it really wasn't as bad as it has been. I think I'm finally getting used to the heat. (For the record, I moved here because I was sick of the cold.)
#260 Old 08-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm a Pennsylvania girl.

I went out today (having been here a couple weeks now) and it really wasn't as bad as it has been. I think I'm finally getting used to the heat. (For the record, I moved here because I was sick of the cold.)

Tell me about it (I'm from Canada). I adapted quite quickly to the heat, but then again I always liked the summertime and hated being cold. So it works for me. And it's fun, when your friends back home are complaining of the cold and snow and wind, to casually mention how you stopped by the beach for a swim that day. Well, not that I've ever done that. But it would be fun anyways
#261 Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, this is my first post to the forums. My wife and I live in Deltona, which is half way between Orlando and Daytona Beach. We are new to vegetarianism, we have been eating vegetarian for about two weeks now. Neither of us miss the meat, and other unsanitary things in food that were in our diet before

Adopting the vegetarian lifestyle is something we had thought about for at least the last five years, but I guess we were afraid it would be hard to give up meat and other things. We were wrong, this has possibly been the easiest change I've ever made in my life.

I also notice that this thread has been also used in the past to pass on information bout restaurants, etc. So here's my contribution to that.

Debbie's Health Foods on Saxon Blvd, in Orange City right beside K-Mart has a 20% off sale on their products the first Tuesday of every month
#262 Old 09-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, Jeremy! (to both the board and vegetarianism)
#263 Old 09-04-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Idle View Post

Noone in the world lives in Sarasota, but me. The most vegan friendly this city gets is The Granary (an all natural food store). I love it in LA because they have so many vegan restaurants it is like ridiculous.

I live in Palmetto and visit Sarasota quite frequently. You are not alone.
#264 Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Kendall Miami in here
#265 Old 10-07-2007, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe some of us can meet each other at the Veggie Fest!!

http://cfvegfest.org/Home_Page.html

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#266 Old 10-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

Maybe some of us can meet each other at the Veggie Fest!!

http://cfvegfest.org/Home_Page.html

Looks interesting! Even if I wanted to make the drive up to Orlando, I wouldn't be able to though. I have to work that day
#267 Old 10-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Chrissy and I made a nice find the other day. If you're in Central Florida you will most certainly want to check on the restaurant in Sanford, FL called the Blue Dahlia. They have a separately maintained complete vegetarian menu for lunch and dinner. We haven't actually been there yet, but we can't wait to go in a couple weeks... It's just great to find a restaurant that makes a significant effort to cater to the veg* diet.

http://bluedahliasanford.com/
#268 Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 AM

I'm Sorcha (yes, my screen name is my real name) from St. Petersburg!
#269 Old 11-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post

I'm Sorcha (yes, my screen name is my real name) from St. Petersburg!

Hi. Welcome to VB.

--Fromper

#270 Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Hello all! I am originally from Orlando, though I live in Chicago now. But I wanted to let you all know that this dinner attraction, Arabian Nights, in Orlando, now has vegan meals. They even have "vegan" on the menu, which always makes me happy (though I don't think they have dessert yet). It is a great pasta dish, made with whole wheat pasta. Yay!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page