Florida - Page 8 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#211 Old 05-20-2006, 06:14 PM

Panama City here. My husband and I just started the Rice Diet today. 3 meals so far, and we don't miss salt! The food actually tastes great without it. (beans, brown rice, fruit, etc). My husband burned the lima beans we had for supper just a tiny bit of scorch on a few beans. After supper I went into the kitchen and the pot was still cooking. Very burned. May have to put the pot outside for the squirrels to chew on. Any experience with the rice diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 Old 05-22-2006, 01:52 PM

For all Floridians, especially those in the St.Petersburg area. I just want to give a big hurray to Richard's Whole Foods on Tyrone Blvd. They are so Veggie friendly and if they don't have it they usually can order it. Prices aren't bad either. So if anyone was bumed about shopping in St.Pete, Richard's is for you
#213 Old 05-22-2006, 02:04 PM

Hi all,

I am new to the board I have not officially introduced myself to all of you but the Florida post caught my eye...

I live in Panama City, FL.

I have a daughter living in Clearwater, FL.

samiles (Bonnie)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#214 Old 05-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
anyone know good vegan restaurants in gainesville (i'm visiting it soon) or tampa

I lived in Florida a few years ago, close to Tampa. I went to this restaurant 3 times and each was a good experience. Their jasmine hot tea and vegan carrot cake are great. They have a fair selection of vegan dishes with faux meats. They are moderately priced and have a casual atmosphere. There is a local animal activist group that holds lots of their meetings there because of the vegan selection.

Trang Viet Cuisine -

1524 E Fowler Ave Tampa, FL 33612

I've never been to Evos but plan to vist sometime. If you are ever in Orlando, my absolute favorite veg restaurant is there. It's called the Garden Cafe and they serve ONLY veg food, NO MEAT in the whole place!! The food is great too and the selection is endless!! The Garden Cafe 810 West Colonial Drive, Orlando, FL 32804
#215 Old 06-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

I may be moving to Titusville -- near the space center not far from Orlando

I checked out some other reviews for the Garden Cafe in orlando. Not all of them were positive.

http://www.vegguide.org/vendor/view.html?vendor_id=1064

I was esp concerned about the "everything was fried" complaint. Interesting that they don't use garlic or onions. Good if they can get good flavor -- they exacerbate my ulcer, except in small amounts.
#216 Old 06-06-2006, 11:25 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Alex Pickett -- I am a staff writer with the Weekly Planet. I'm looking for people's dumpster diving stories and/or freegan meetups for a possible story in the future. I'm especially interested in going with some folks to the best dumpster diving spots in the area.

I promise to keep the good spots a secret.

Any help would be much appreciated...

[email protected]
#217 Old 06-17-2006, 09:07 PM

Hey, for anyone living in or near Tampa, especially in the University of So. Fla. area... check out Mirch Masala if you like Indian cuisine... all vegetarian, not vegan...but... amazingly good and reasonably priced. They have a buffet for lunch time...
#218 Old 06-17-2006, 10:41 PM

i live in jacksonville too
#219 Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 PM

i haven't met any vegetarian's here in jacksonvile :'(
#220 Old 06-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by apickett View Post

Hello everyone,

My name is Alex Pickett -- I am a staff writer with the Weekly Planet. I'm looking for people's dumpster diving stories and/or freegan meetups for a possible story in the future. I'm especially interested in going with some folks to the best dumpster diving spots in the area.

I promise to keep the good spots a secret.

Any help would be much appreciated...

[email protected]

No help just giving some love to the weekly planet. It is my newspaper.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#221 Old 06-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Jacksonville, and to be honest I only know one other vegetarian couple, and I met her through knitting!
#222 Old 06-27-2006, 05:50 PM

Port Siant Lucie here. Better known as Hurricane Central!!!
#223 Old 07-02-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

I'm in Jacksonville, and to be honest I only know one other vegetarian couple, and I met her through knitting!

i live in jacksonville too, and i only know one other vegetarian (she wasn't when i met her, i converted her )
#224 Old 07-09-2006, 09:14 PM

I live in (but am not from) north florida...a little place called branford. the only true vegetarians I know here are my dr. and his wife. I am originally from fredericksburg virginia. I've lived down here for 4 years.
#225 Old 08-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I was back in Florida a couple of weeks ago, and to my dismay, Sublime restaurant in Ft Lauderdale was closed! (and still is, according to the website)

I was also wondering if anyone else has been to the raw farmer's market in Miami on Saturdays (I'm not sure of the exact location, but I can find out). They make these wonder cashew nut milks and cashew icecream and nori rolls
#226 Old 08-08-2006, 05:22 PM

I am here in Southwest Florida, Port Charlotte to be exact. No veg*ns eateries anywhere around...just a couple whole food stores but nothing on grand scale. It's very hard to work on becoming vegan when I don't have much of an option besides eating at home...LOL

I recently moved home after living in Tampa for almost 8 years going to school. I kinda wish I had started up there so I woulda had a little more help getting started.
#227 Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 AM

New Tampa Vegans Presents...

Open-Mic Night!

Saturday, October 7th, 2006, 7-10pm

At The Natural Health Hut in Wesley Chapel

26403 Chianina Drive

Wesley Chapel, FL 33544

An evening of vegan food and drink, music, poetry, art, drama, dance, storytelling, comedy, and anything else that you want to share with the world on stage! Anything from simple to creative performances are welcome!

All are welcome! Be a performer or sit back and enjoy the show!

Please bring a vegan dish to share. Juices, Tea, Coffee, and Water will be provided.

Paper and plastic products will be provided. Please bring your own table setting to reduce waste.

Suggested donation per person:

$5 with a dish / $10 without a dish.

Kids under 12 - Free.

Donations will be given to The Animal Coalition of Tampa. A small portion of donations will be used to cover expenses for the event.

We are in need of volunteers and performers for the evening. Volunteers will

help make the night go along smoothly. No talent is needed to perform

on stage!

We need volunteers to help with the following:

Setup

Greeter / Donations

Refreshments Table

Literature Table

Photographer

Cleanup

Performance Ideas:

Music - Singing, Instrumental

Poetry - Original, Another Author

Art - Sketching, Painting, Quick Lesson

Drama - Skits, Monologues

Dance - Interpretive, Contemporary

Storytelling - Vegan Story, Children's Story, Other Stories

Comedy - Vegan, General

Send an email to [email protected] to volunteer, sign up for a performance time-slot, or R.S.V.P.!

Thank you for your help! :O)
#228 Old 09-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Oh that looks like fun! I wish I was still in Tampa or I would love to go!!
#229 Old 09-16-2006, 05:24 PM

I am in Northwest Florida. A little town outside of Pensacola. It's hard going here. There is bacon in all the veggies!! I've lived here for 15 years and I still cant get over that. Needless to say...we dont eat out much.
#230 Old 09-26-2006, 12:33 PM

This is just a reminder to those of you that live in the area that the Animal Coalition of Tampa Benefit, Open-Mic Night, is just around the corner. We still need volunteers and performers. Let us know if you can help!
#231 Old 10-26-2006, 06:40 AM

Trying to gather vegans & vegetarians from northwest florida for potlucks, protests, the collective magical veggie goodness!

A gathering place of information: Come post and let us know you're out there.

http://pcvegan.wordpress.com/
#232 Old 11-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I may be moving to Titusville -- near the space center not far from Orlando

I checked out some other reviews for the Garden Cafe in orlando. Not all of them were positive.

http://www.vegguide.org/vendor/view.html?vendor_id=1064

I was esp concerned about the "everything was fried" complaint. Interesting that they don't use garlic or onions. Good if they can get good flavor -- they exacerbate my ulcer, except in small amounts.

yeah, basically everything's fried. The spring rolls are great ,though. Yet,many others things are hit and miss, quite few of the entrees have an after taste.

And personally, my momand I have been therere a few times are the staff isn't exactly friendly, actually I've had that problem with various Asian owned restaraunts....there's a very "eat and give me your money" vibe.But there are a lot of pro-veg pamphlets and Orlando Weekly.

If you're in Orlando, check out the Dandelion Cafe instead, their chili is great, my mom is hooked on it.
#233 Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Woohoo, Sublime (in Ft Lauderdale) is re-opening Dec 19!!
#234 Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
"there's a very "eat and give me your money" vibe.

That is not the vibe that I sensed. What I sensed is sort of like: we have done extensive research into what pleases the western palate and have great expertise in how to prepare it and how to market it, and therefore you should should defer to us as someone who knows more about what you like to eat and what you will buy to eat than you know — the same way you would defer to your doctor, who knows more about your body than you know.

I haven't sensed any hurry to get my money. Just a sense that: you shouldn't ask too many questions about the food. In fact on occasion I was sure they probably would have forgotten to give me my check, if I hadn't asked; and after I finally got it, they probably would have let me escape, unnoticed, without paying it.

And in fact, some Asian vegetarian restaurants are run by people with no personal commitment to vegetarianism; they own several restaurants, including one vegetarian restaurant. They undoubtedly did market research showing that an area had demographics that would support a veg restaurant, and so they opened a veg restaurant in that area. They undoubtedly did research on how to market to vegetarians, including the how make sure to tell them that by eating vegetarian you prevent the suffering of animals. So if you want to prevent the suffering of animals, eat at our 1st Ave restaurant; if you want animals to suffer, eat at our 2nd Ave restaurant. Freedom of choice. No, Asians are not the only people who cater to vegetarians in this manner. While there is nothing wrong with people doing this, I think it would be better if vegetarians fed themselves, and accumulated the profit from doing so, themselves. It is empowering.
#235 Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 PM

I was born and raised in Maryland but now reside in Spring Hill, north of Tampa.
#236 Old 12-25-2006, 12:31 AM
Banned

Vegan potluck/bonfire/drumming: The New Tampa Vegans will host the event at the Natural Health Hut from 6 to 9 p.m. New Year's Eve. Celebrate the last sunset of 2006 while roasting veggie dogs, veggie sausages and making vegan s'mores. The event will include group drumming around a bonfire. Bring a vegan dish to share (no animal ingredients) and drums or noisemakers such as pots, pans, spoons, bells, bongos or blocks. Everyone is welcome including non-vegetarians and children. The Natural Health Hut is at 26403 Chianina Drive. Call (813) 476-6436.
#237 Old 12-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Beginner

Cool, count me in I think!
#238 Old 01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi. I'm a new vegetarian in Boynton Beach (southern Palm Beach County). I haven't read this whole thread, but from the last couple of pages, it looks like most of the activity is in the Tampa area. Anyone down in the Broward/Palm Beach area?

--Fromper

#239 Old 02-21-2007, 10:28 PM

I'm in Tampa and I attend USF.
#240 Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Hi. I'm a new vegetarian in Boynton Beach (southern Palm Beach County). I haven't read this whole thread, but from the last couple of pages, it looks like most of the activity is in the Tampa area. Anyone down in the Broward/Palm Beach area?

--Fromper

I live in West Palm Beach and go to school at Palm Beach Atlantic University, so you live really close to me.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page