Florida - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 09-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

slvegetus - I'm thinking St. Pete is pretty far away from here. ETA: St. Petersburg is actually about a 4 hour drive from here. It's down near Tampa.

SurfNSun - I live in Jacksonville. To be honest there's not much in the way of Veggie restaurants and such. And only one really good health food store -- http://www.nativesunjax.com/

Moe's is a good place for veggie and vegan burritos, and Mama Fu's and PF Changs have good vegan Asian food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 09-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Gah, my family is under contract for a home and I'm hoping it goes through sooo...uhh...Florida here I come! Pinellas Park to be exact. But once I get a car, I plan to road trip all over the damn stateso a meetup would be nice. (I want to visit you either way though, rincaro! )
#153 Old 09-15-2005, 03:05 PM

Tiggzie- I'm moving to that area, any good eats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 09-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by qetta View Post

Hello, everyone. I'm not in FL, but my baby sister is moving to Orlando, and I need some help with ideas for a care package to send. She's jobless for now, so I'm thinking things like a Target gift card and a grocery store gift card, but if there are any other Orlando-specific things that would be cool, please share! What's the best bet for a grocery store for her? She's not veg (yet - I'm still working on it), but I am planning a visit in the next couple of months and could use some veg-friendly restaurant recommendations as well. Thanks

i live in oralndo - um, whole foods store is good. sweet tomatoes is a good restaurant (allyou can eat) salad bar type thing. it has meat too.. they make really good things there.
#155 Old 09-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you vegan, slvegetus? Either way, there's this flea market kind of place that had the coolest produce section. If you go really late (like half an hour before they close) all the produce is reduced. I can't remember the name but I'll find it for you. And uh, I'm sure you shop at Publix (I looooooooove publix). I'll find the names of places I like so far and get back to you.
#156 Old 09-16-2005, 07:35 PM

Tiggzie- Thanks

Vegan, yes!

I'm not in Florida yet

Seattlite for 25 more days

I'll be a fish out of water

I'll need all the help I can get thank you thank you
#157 Old 09-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey again. I know how you feel. I am moving from big ol' NYC to little Pinellas Park (which is right above St Pete if I am not mistaken). I know it's close.

I've never eaten here but I have heard a lot about it! (http://www.evos.com/home.cfm) Evos! It's a, get this, healthy fast food place! Not everything here is vegetarian but if you look at the menu, they say which things are vegan!

Oh, you can look at these sites: http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...st_petersburg/

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.ne...estaurants.htm

That should help. I have my own list somewhere but my house is a mess (already started the pre-packing sorting. Oy!)

As for finding a veg community, I think I'm it. Just kidding!! There actually does seem to be one but I haven't moved yet so I haven't found it. You could start a vegan meetup on meetup.org though.

I was SHOCKED to see so many vegan options at places. In Clearwater, for instance, even the small little "stop and shop" kind of places had tofu and soymilk. That was so cool. So while I can't point you in the direction of too many places, they definitely know what a vegetarian/vegan is in that part of Florida. I'm sure you'll make your own excellent discoveries.
#158 Old 09-16-2005, 09:03 PM

Cool, Thank you so much!

I'm going to check out those links right now
#159 Old 10-04-2005, 08:29 PM

Hey Everybody I live in the New Tampa area. There are not many whole foods places around here. I am working with Publix to get some vegan basics on the shelves! I would go to Chuck's, but I am highly offended by that "bodies" exhibit that is at MOSI right now, and I can't even bring myself to drive by it. Any vegan groups around here? I would love to make some vegan friends!
#160 Old 10-05-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkees View Post

From Orlando (well, really Altamonte Springs), I go to UCF

hihi

I went to UCF too! I got my bachelor's degree in Art and graduated in 1998. I miss it. I bet the school has grown a lot since then! I lived on-campus and across the street at Knight's Krossing (Which I heard is not such a great place to live anymore). I was there when the student union was built! Anyway, now I feel ancient! HeeHee.
#161 Old 10-05-2005, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlystar View Post

Yay! I am going to go to the vegeterian cooking class every Wensday at Natures Harvest in Tampa. I went to the one last week and it rocked. Maybe I can learn how to cook.

I have heard about that! Is it fun? I know that Nutrition S'Mart also has that same class. I was thinking about going myself, but haven't yet.
#162 Old 10-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Beginner

Hey!

I went to Vegfest this past weekend in Orlando and I met the owner of this new teahouse/food spot called Dandelion Communitea .

She promised to be open in late Nov or December. They are located on the corner of Mills and Colonial (from what she told me). She also promised a vegan chef so I was really psyched!

Turns out I went to my DFA (Democracy For America) meeting today and talked with a woman I had known from the meeting prior. We mentioned the new vegetarian shop and it turns out she is the vegan chef for the place! She said she will make almost everything on the menu vegan and if you have any ideas for recipes I'd like to see to give her a shout.

She's a great person and with a compassionate heart. I want you ALL to try to support the hell out of this place when it opens, it would be really great. It's going to stress organic, vegetarian foods with a community meeting room so small events and community meetings can take place there as well. It sounds very promising.

Check it out: http://www.dandelioncommunitea.com

Thanks!
#163 Old 10-06-2005, 04:24 PM

.....greetings & luv.....

i am soon to be movin' to south florida, ft. lauderdale/miami area and am looking for the raw food/vegan/vegetarian community, looking for a good apartment, anyone know of anything? I'm coming from Chicago and luv to volunteer for raw food events and stuff, help put things together, i'd luv it if someone could just get me started toward a nice friendly open-minded community....i luv yoga, art, stuff like that....any suggestions?

thankx....one*luv<><><>
#164 Old 10-11-2005, 02:22 PM

Hi:

I have been a South FLorida vegetarian for exactly one year and have found 0 support...other then going to some whole foods supermarkets or veggie restaurants..nothing..just me, books and the internet!

Anyhow, what area of South Florida will you be ending up in? that will help me hopefully guide you a bit.
#165 Old 10-19-2005, 11:52 AM

i've been in pensacola for about a year and a half.

luckily i work in one of our two vegan restaurants!
#166 Old 10-26-2005, 05:37 PM

I am SO hating Tampa right now. There aren't ANY stores around here that will stock the products that I ask them to stock... I'm not being unreasonable or anything... Just asking for some vegan basics. They are SO rude, and I can't stand it. It's so ridiculous. I don't know what to do.
#167 Old 10-29-2005, 05:05 PM

VeganArtist I feel your pain. I have been here little more than a week. I miss Seattle so bad. I feel a revolt coming on via la vegan
#168 Old 10-29-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvegetus View Post

VeganArtist I feel your pain. I have been here little more than a week. I miss Seattle so bad. I feel a revolt coming on via la vegan

Doesn't it royally *SUCK*??!! I would love to move to Seattle. Everything that I read tells me that it is so vegan-friendly there. Ugh. I am so freaking irritated. You are in St. Pete right? St. Pete is probably better than Tampa. It drives me crazy. I have lived here my entire life. I just don't get why stores won't stock items that I request. I recently asked Nutrition S'Mart to stock some vegan stuff, and the woman's response was that the items have to have a broad appeal. I was like, vegan items in a health food store that already carries quite a few vegan items seems like a pretty good match to me. I really don't get it AT ALL. Thanks for reading my rant.

How are you holding up? How do you deal with this after living in such a vegan-friendly place?
#169 Old 10-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I feel everyone's pain. I'm going from NYC to Pinellas Park...ouch.

What products are you trying to get them to stock, VeganArtist? Have you tried just asking them to do a special order for you? I find lots of places have tofu and what-not. If you want something more specific, say a tofurkey or Tings...that proves a bit more difficult. Perhaps you can try a more polite approach and write letters.

ETA: "Vegan" is a scary word for most people. Don't phrase things as vegan, call them "healthier", "alternatives", stuff like that. I find that helps a lot.

I'd love to have a vegan revolt in the area If five people show up demanding something, we can't be denied, right?
#170 Old 10-29-2005, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggzie View Post

Well I feel everyone's pain. I'm going from NYC to Pinellas Park...ouch.

What products are you trying to get them to stock, VeganArtist? Have you tried just asking them to do a special order for you? I find lots of places have tofu and what-not. If you want something more specific, say a tofurkey or Tings...that proves a bit more difficult. Perhaps you can try a more polite approach and write letters.

ETA: "Vegan" is a scary word for most people. Don't phrase things as vegan, call them "healthier", "alternatives", stuff like that. I find that helps a lot.

I'd love to have a vegan revolt in the area If five people show up demanding something, we can't be denied, right?

Yeah, that is the weird part. I DO write letters, and I also avoid pointing out that the stuff is vegan. I give them an extremely detailed list with specific information and contact information, yet they never stock even one item on my list. Here was my request for Nutrition S'Mart:

Tofutti:

www.tofutti.com or Phone: 908-272-2400

·\tPizza Pizzaz - UPC 086009

Rudis Organic Bakery:

www.rudisbakery.com or Toll Free Customer Service Line: 877-293-0876

·\tArtisan Bread - Country French

·\tWhite Hamburger Buns

·\tWhite Hot Dog Rolls

Peanut Butter and Co.:

www.ilovepeanutbutter.com or Toll Free 1-866-ILOVEPB (456-8372)

·\tPeanut Butter White Chocolate Wonderful

Alternative Baking Company:

www.alternativebaking.com or toll-free at 888.488.9725

·\tColossal Chocolate Chip Cookies

·\tLuscious Lemon Poppyseed Cookies

·\tPeanut Butter Persuasion Cookies

Bolthouse Farms:

www.bolthouse.com

·\tPerfectly Protein Vanilla Chai Tea with Soy Protein Large Bottle

Spectrum Naturals:

www.spectrumorganics.com

·\tFlaxseed Oil, Organic 8 grams Omega-3 24 Ounce Bottle

Rising Moon Organics:

www.risingmoon.com or phone 541.431.0505

·\tGarlic And Roasted Veggie Vegan Ravioli

·\tMediterranean Garlic & Herb Ravioli

nSpired Natural Foods:

www.nspiredfoods.com or (510) 346-3860

·\tTropical Source 100% dairy free chocolate bars - Rich Dark /3 oz.

Boca:

www.bocaburger.com

·\tOriginal Chikn Nuggets

Turtle Mountain:

www.turtlemountain.com or 1-866-3TURTLE

·\tSoy Delicious Purely Decadent: \tChunky Mint Madness\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tRocky Road\t\t\t\t\t

·\tSoy Delicious Organic:\t\tTwisted Vanilla Orange

Suzannes Specialties:

www.suzannes-specialties.com or 800-762-2135

·\tRicemellow Crème

·\tJust-Like-Honey

Roads End Organics:

www.chreese.com or Toll Free: 1-877-247-3373

·\tSHELLS & CHREESE - Semolina Shells and Cheddar Style Chreese Mix

·\tCheddar Style Chreese Mix

·\tMozzarella Style Chreese Mix

Annies Naturals:

www.anniesnaturals.com or Phone: 1-802-456-8866 or 1-800-434-1234

·\tFrench Dressing

·\tRed Wine & Olive Oil Organic Dressing

·\tTuscany Italian Dressing

·\tOrganic Ketchup

·\tBarbecue Sauce - Original Recipe

·\tOrganic Mustard - Dijon and Yellow

Amys Kitchen:

www.amyskitchen.com or Telephone: 1.707.578.7188

·\tStrawberry Toaster Pops

·\tBreakfast Burrito

·\tOrganic Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce

·\tOrganic Minestrone Soup

·\tOrganic Fire Roasted Southwestern Vegetable Soup

·\tOrganic Medium Chili

·\tOrganic Vegetarian Baked Beans

White Wave:

www.whitewave.com

·\tSilk Creamer - Original, Pint

·\tSilk Creamer - Hazelnut, Pint

·\tCultured Soy - Banana-Strawberry, 6 oz

·\tCultured Soy - Black Cherry, 6 oz

·\tCultured Soy - Vanilla, 6 oz

·\tCultured Soy - Plain, 32 oz

·\tSilk Live! - Strawberry

NOW Foods:

www.nowcatalog.com or Toll Free (U.S./Canada): 1-877-342-5217 or 1-800-595-6593

·\tAgar Powder - 2 oz. Vegetarian Gelatin Substitute

I know that it is a long list, but they could at least stock SOME of the items. I mean, vegans have just as much right to be able to buy all of the cool food stuff that they want, just like everyone else, ya know?

Good luck in Pinellas Park.

I LOVE THE VEGAN REVOLT IDEA. I am SO there.
#171 Old 10-31-2005, 08:35 PM

Thank goodness I found Richard's Wholefoods. It's really really small but they stock good stuff. I love Bolthouse farms vanilla chai, the Publix here carries that. But eating out forget it. And organic is very limited. It is not just the food, but the culture here is different, extremely different. Culture shock, I saw fur for the first time in a decade. Good luck, with your writing campaign. Give me some addresses and I can write on your behalf.
#172 Old 11-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey yeah, we can all write to some of these places.

I'm totally up for a harmless revolt. And once I get my arse in culinary school (it's one of those things I've always wanted to do) I should start a veg friendly restaurant. Hey, a girl can dream.
#173 Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 AM

Tiggzie- you don't need school, apprenticeship works well for that really life experience. I've often dream of my own veggie cafe. I don't think there's a market here. But dreaming still
#174 Old 11-01-2005, 08:49 PM

I too dream of my own vegan restaurant. That would be so great!

I wish that we all lived in the same city, that way we would likely shop at the same stores, and then we could have that veg*n uprising.
#175 Old 11-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to work in Tampa or St. Pete prolly. Can't see myself finding lots of jobs (or good colleges) in little ol' P-Park. Good advice about apprenticeship, slvegetus. I'll likely look into that and culinary classes after I settle in. I haven't told anyone my plans for being a cook but my family is always telling me to go into that field...they technically can't get mad at me if it's their fault, right? We're not all that far from each other, I think. We should have a meetup sometime in the future.

As for vegan cafe's and no market...we don't HAVE to tell people the stuff is vegan. *evil smirk* We'll just call it "good for you" and entice people with chocolate cake.
#176 Old 11-04-2005, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I haven't told anyone my plans for being a cook but my family is always telling me to go into that field...they technically can't get mad at me if it's their fault, right?

Yay, I can't wait until you become a famous chef, and open your 1st vegan restaurant in Tampa! I will eat there each and every day and night! Cheers!

Quote:

We're not all that far from each other, I think. We should have a meetup sometime in the future.

That would be fun. I don't know any other vegans in real life.

Quote:

As for vegan cafe's and no market...we don't HAVE to tell people the stuff is vegan. *evil smirk* We'll just call it "good for you" and entice people with chocolate cake.

MUAHAHAHA! Let them eat cake!
#177 Old 11-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I am vacationing in St. Petersburg's Beach in Florida for the next few days.

I might like to meet up with some members in the area. Call me at (734) 218-4474 if you are interested (cell). We will only be available today (Tuesday) and tomorrow (Wednesday). We do plan on going out to eat at Rollin Oats today for lunch!

Hopefully we'll meet some veg*ns in the next days!

-Rodolfo
#178 Old 01-10-2006, 08:05 PM

Hi. New to this forum, live in Plant City. Not exactly the most veg*n friendly place on the planet LOL.
#179 Old 01-16-2006, 01:28 AM

I really think Florida is great because Maria Sharapova lives in it LoL

What u guyz think?

#180 Old 01-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I am trying to get together a vegan/vegetarian groupy thing...Karen at Sacred Grounds is more than happy to help with spreading the word, but sometimes it helps to look in more than one location to acquire the best bunch of pples.^_^.

so, here's the scoop for February (at Sacred Grounds):

the 4th at 8:30pm, and

the 24th at 8:30pm

both are mostly vegan/vegetarian Potlucks.

This is:

1) nonprofit (extremely non-profit and only for social aspects)

2) potluck...please bring one item (enough for serving at least a handful of pple) per adult.

She is in myspace under Sacred Grounds...(can't post URL's yet..lol!)

although, i'm going to try to keep in control of the vegan outtings and such, the email I sent to her this morning was acted on as such via a bulletin in myspace (verbatim):

Stephanie has inquired and interested in starting up a social group circled around other vegans and vegetarians... she is looking for local support and Sacred Grounds is helping by hosting Vegetarian/Vegan Potlucks twice a month.. The next one will be before Christie Lenee/Orenda's show Sat. Feb. 4 at 8:30pm.. and on Feb. 24 at 8:30p.. mussic to follow from many musicians.

Other ideas she had were:

**"meetings" once a week at Sacred Grounds

**Dinners at vegan restaurants (or rest. that cater to vegans)

**Potluck dinners at Sacred Grounds and/or co-op dinners (houses rotate between members)

**General outtings...festivals and such as a group.

These are just some (of many) ideas...I know a lot of people that go to Sacred Grounds are at least Vegetarian, so this is just a curiosity to me to see if I'd be able to get a group together for the socializing aspects.

If you would be interested in something like this.. please email Stephanie or myself back to share your thoughts and interests..

Thank you! Stephanie!!

Karen

Sacred Grounds

If anyone wants to help me with collaborating, that would be awesome. I'm just looking for a social outlet and some people who wanna kill broccoli with me ^_^

Disclaimer: No coffee is required to be bought to attend the potlucks, but with the fresh coffee smells in there, don't say I didn't warn you
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page