Is any body else struggling with this? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM

I recently became a Vegetarian not to long ago after finding out the truth of the meat process and

I'm struggling because I cant afford to much meals from Publix (the grocery store) and the rest of my family eats meat. Is anybody else trying to find out how to manage this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

There is plenty of cheap vegetarian grocery items ^_^ I'm sure your family probably even has some lying around. I know we have some rice mix boxes lying around here that I could eat, that I didn't pick out.  If you have to pay for your own food, you might have to wait until you are able to support yourself before you spend most of your money on food. If food is free at home, and you are aren't making much money, you should take it, but still try to eat vegetarian when you can. (Not trying to promote meat eating here, lol just trying to be rational.) If you're family is considerate too pay for some extra food for you, you can go to the grocery store and stock up on cheap canned vegetables, fruits, soups, boxes of rice, tofu, and breads.

Your family should already have at least some fruits, vegetables (vegetable stock too for soups!), beans, and rice lying around. Lots of possibilities to whip up!

Cheapest vegetarian food item you can get I think (not healthy) is Top Ramen's Oriental and chili flavor. They are like 30 cents each and you can pick up a whole pack. Definitely not good for you, but they can tide you over and maybe you can add stuff into it to make it healthier.

Also, if your family is making a meal, have them set aside a dish for you without meat. My parents make spaghett and meat balls, and they leave the meat out of the sauce for me. Most dishes are usually vegetarian until they add meat. xD

Oh, you are a new member! Welcome the the boards! <3

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

You can get really cheap if you have an Aldis!

Canned beans 

Fat free refried beans

Salsa

avocado

peanut butter

seeds

whole grains-brown rice, bulgar

buy produce based on sales.

So many people are discovering how good soy and almond milks are! Ask your family to try some. If they're dairy milk drinkers I highly recommend Silk Omega DHA, it's creamier than low fat milk and my son who remembers milk swears it tastes better. And better for you! There are many coupons for Silk.

Good luck, and check out the What did you eat... threads!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 AM

Try some fruits,juice,shakes,milk you should try this out and you can carry some grocery items at your home and try making some dishes you can also have brown rice,breads etc.

auto repair Fort Lauderdale

#5 Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 AM

Here is a link to a site that has given me many ideas over the years for cheap meals www.vegweb.com  There's a lot of recipes.Especially interesting are the comments below the recipes that will tell you how to sub stuff with things you already have.Not all the recipes have it but quite a few do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page