Connecticut - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 01-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergmom View Post

Hi! I live in CT too! I live in Bristol and work in Farmington. I would LOVE to hear about veg places to eat somewhere between Hartford & Waterbury. Any ideas?

Hi there! I live in New Hartford and work in Farmington too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 01-27-2005, 09:37 AM

Really? Small world.
#63 Old 01-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Really? Small world.

Sure is. Do you shop at Wild Oats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 01-27-2005, 12:42 PM

I like to when I can get there, but I usually shop at the Super Natural in Bristol. It's a small natural food store that's been there for about 30 years.
#65 Old 01-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I like to when I can get there, but I usually shop at the Super Natural in Bristol. It's a small natural food store that's been there for about 30 years.

Is that on route 10? I think I just passed a health food store today that I haven't noticed before. I usually shop at Stop & Shop in Avon, because it's closer to me.
#66 Old 01-28-2005, 04:29 AM

It's off of Route 6 in Bristol. I shop at Stop and Shop in Forrestville when I need to pick up something quick, but the Super Natural has a bigger selection of stuff. Of course, Wild Oats has the biggest selection but it's so darn far away.
#67 Old 02-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Beginner

Oh, so lonely! I'm in NC now but I'm a Mystic girl
#68 Old 02-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Mystic? I've been there several times-mostly to the aquarium/seaport/shops. Nice place!
#69 Old 04-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

some connecticut people should keep me company when i'm staying with my dad in windsor locks for a few days
#70 Old 04-25-2005, 08:07 PM

Hey. My names Andrew. I go to college in the NY Hudson valley but I'm from Cheshire, CT originally and still spend quite a bit of time there. Any Vegans live near my hometown?
#71 Old 05-05-2005, 01:15 PM

PLEASE Cross Post!

500 Greyhound Dogs to Die! (posted 5/1/05)

The greyhound track in Plainfield, CT voted on April 26th that they would discontinue greyhound racing. Unfortunately - they've also decided that rescuers have only two

weeks to get the dogs out, and any dogs remaining at the track on May 14th will be euthanized. This is a monumental task because there

are at least 500 dogs currently at the track. These are all young,

healthy dogs, 2-4 years of age, who would make great family pets.

Why is the track doing this? Greyhound racing is a business and because the track is no longer profitable, they're getting out. To us, dogs are cherished companions. To the greyhound racing industry,

dogs are expendable commodities to be disposed of in whatever way is

least expensive and most convenient when they aren't making money.

Leigh Grady

Executive Director

Animal Shelter Inc. of Sterling

17 Laurelwood Road, Sterling MA 01564

978 422 8585 shelter, 978 563 1039 fax

www.sterlingshelter.org

We've committed to saving as many dogs as we possibly can in the next two weeks. We'll be working with an experienced greyhound rescuer who has been placing retired greyhounds for many years. She will be going to the track and bringing us dogs. As soon as we have more room, we'll do it again. We will repeat as many times as we can before May 14th. After May 14th, there will be no dogs left alive at the track.

In order to save as many dogs as we can, we are going to try something we've never done before; sending as many as possible out into foster care by May 14th. Every time we send a dog into an

adoptive home or a foster home, we can take another dog off the track. We will take the fostered dogs back into the Dakin Animal Shelter for adoption over the next few months as spaces open up for them - as long as they're off the track by May 14th, they'll be safe.

How can you help?

a.. Adopt a greyhound They're wonderful dogs - gentle, quiet, sweet, and graceful. The ones we'll be getting will be good companions with other dogs and with cats. Surprisingly, they're couch potatoes. They do need to be in a fenced area or leash walked; they aren't dogs to let run loose. For information on what it's like to take a greyhound home, visit www.greyhoundgang.com.

b.. Foster a greyhound If we can send greys into foster care and out of our Shelter, we can pull more from the track before May 14. We'll get them back into the Shelter over the next few months. We will provide all their medical care and a crate to make their transition easier. You provide your time & love and together we will give them a new life! For information on what it's like to take a greyhound home, visit www.greyhoundgang.com.

c.. Donate money. We are going to need extra funds to help these dogs. We'll be buying crates and other supplies as well as paying all their medical bills. You can send a check to: Dakin Animal

Shelter, 163 Montague Road, Leverett MA 01054, or donate online.

Please mark your donation "Save the Greys".

d.. Donate a large dog crate to send with the dogs going into foster care.

e.. Spread the word! The more people who know about this tragedy, the more help the dogs will get. There are a lot of misconceptions about them.

a.. Greys are not hyper - they're actually couch potatoes!

b.. They love to run - for about 5 minutes - in a safe, fenced area.

c.. Greys spend most of their day snoozing and adore soft sleeping places and all the comforts in life.

d.. They are actually very good dogs for apartments or small homes

because of their low activity level.

e.. They are very clean dogs, and in some ways are very catlike in

their cleanliness and love of comfort.

f.. Most greyhounds - including all the ones we'll be getting - can live with other dogs and cats, once they've been introduced, and actually love living with other animals.

g.. They rarely bark and shed little.

h.. In their life on the track, they live in crates for 22 hours per day, so most things in the 'real world' are a surprise to them.

i.. They've never seen simple things such as: slippery floors (wood, tile); stairs; television; windows; cats; dogs who are not greyhounds!

j.. They generally housebreak very easily because they're completely crate trained (they aren't housebroken because they've never been in a house, so they have to learn what a house is!).

k.. They walk very, very politely on leash - they learn that at the track.

l.. Greyhounds are very good companions for homes with gentle children because of their own gentle nature.

This is a tragedy of enormous proportions, and we've decided to throw everything we've got into doing as much as we can. It's easy to get overwhelmed thinking about the scope of the problem - and do

nothing. If we instead work together as a community, we CAN make a difference. The Dakin Animal Shelter has always relied upon our

community for our support, and we're counting on you now. With your

help, we WILL make a difference.

Leigh Grady

Executive Director

Animal Shelter Inc. of Sterling

17 Laurelwood Road, Sterling MA 01564

978 422 8585 shelter, 978 563 1039 fax

www.sterlingshelter.org

#72 Old 05-12-2005, 05:14 AM

Hi Andrew-

My in-laws live in Cheshire! I actually live in Bristol, but grew up in Southington. My family isn't vegan, but we eat that way 99% of the time (due to my son's allergies to dairy and eggs).
#73 Old 05-16-2005, 02:44 PM

Heyyy I'm from Greenwich... yep...

Cherry Head, where in Connecticut do you live? You said you lived by the ocean and Greenwich is by the ocean so I thought maybe you're from Greenwich too.

Oh by the way, I live in London right now lol but I moved from Greenwich in December 2003. I'll be back in summer 2006 I think.
#74 Old 09-13-2005, 08:47 AM

Hi Guys,

I live in Milford, about 20 minutes away from New Haven. If anyone wants to get together I'm always up for meeting new people!

-Alissa
#75 Old 10-14-2005, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Just found this thread YAY!

I see I have quite a few neighbors. I just moved to North Stamford from the Shippan area. Has anyone ever gone to Bloodroots in Bridgeport? Its a vegetarian restaurant.
#76 Old 10-14-2005, 06:47 AM

I just went to Its Only Natural, a great vegetarian restaurant in Middletown, CT. About 3/4 of the menu is vegan. The food was fantastic, especially the dessert.

Anyone ever go there?
#77 Old 11-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Did CT fall off the face of the earth? YOOHOO!
#78 Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

Just found this thread YAY!

I see I have quite a few neighbors. I just moved to North Stamford from the Shippan area. Has anyone ever gone to Bloodroots in Bridgeport? Its a vegetarian restaurant.

I went to Bloodroot recently. I had some friends in Milford take me this past summer.

The recipes are very good. The portions are a little small for my tastes. It's moderately expensive. But I would definitely recommend it.

There's no man-hate there. No worries about that. Everyone was really nice, and the kitchen gave samples to try of their various soups before deciding.
#79 Old 01-24-2006, 04:52 PM

Connecticut - is so booooooring - it doesn't get any posts in almost three months.

So I'm bumping it.

Anyone else from this chilly small state?
#80 Old 02-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I'm from the New London County area!

Mary
#81 Old 08-11-2006, 08:07 PM

WOW...February was the last post

It may be a bummer that I am going to Stamford....Any vegan/vegetarian restuarant tips?I will be there at the end of September.

If no places to dine, who would like to prepare meals for me that I can pick up daily? LMAO HEHEHEHE JK I will come prepared if the choices are limited.
#82 Old 08-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Beginner

hey everyone. i'm from wallingford.
#83 Old 08-18-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDee View Post

hey everyone. i'm from wallingford.

hey there..

I saw a post in Connecticut and thought someone was going to pass along info for me. I didn't think there was any vegans in CT!

Any tips for the Stamford area? I will be there at the end of September.

THANKS and welcome
#84 Old 08-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried vegetarian-restaurants.net? It was somewhat helpful to me...I'm going to Myrtle Beach for Labor Day and was trying to do my homework on finding someplace to eat.
#85 Old 08-19-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Have you tried vegetarian-restaurants.net? It was somewhat helpful to me...I'm going to Myrtle Beach for Labor Day and was trying to do my homework on finding someplace to eat.

thanks!

I will look into that site.
#86 Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 PM

Hello all!

I stumbled on a link to the 2006 Boston Vegetarian Food Festival. They say its supposed to be one of the largest in the US. Has anyone gone to it before?

It looks like there's some great sponsors. And it's free. I'm just wondering if it's worth the drive....
#87 Old 11-30-2006, 12:56 PM

Hey I am new to this thread, I live right outside of new haven connecticut, does anyone else on this thread take part in the souther connecticut state vegetarian society? i think the next meeting in on this saturday at china pan but I am not sure at all because people talked about moving the meeting to edge of the woods. I also have heard of that festivel, and for the last two years have been planning on going and not, I thougth that there was an entrance fee.
#88 Old 12-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in Weston, you may not know where that is, it's next to westport and about 15 min. away from Norwalk. I didn't even know there was a souther conn. state vegetarian society! well now i know
#89 Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

oh! and to the person who lives in Wallingford, I just went to a show there like last month i think, it's a cute town!
#90 Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 PM

hello all,

i live in new london,CT. anyone from around here?? im just lookin to possibly meet a few veggie friends locally to me to hang out with and chill...i live with my hubby, who isnt veg, and it would just be nice to have someone around who gets it all.....much love,

Heidi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page