• 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 2 Post By Contro
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By no whey jose

#1 Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM

Travelling in the US

Hi everyone !

I'll be travelling in the US for a couple of months and I wanted to ask you how easy it was to be vegan there ? I know there are some awesome restaurants and all in the big cities, and it seems like vegan paradise to me ^^
But is it easy to get something to eat when in a rush ? I mean, is it easy to grab some snack for the road without going on purpose in a vegan restaurant or shop ? (Knowing that I won't have a vehicle)

Any tips ?

Thanks for your answers !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not from the U.S., but I've been there quite a few times.
Subway has vegan sandwiches (or they ca n be made vegan). Walgreens also has vegan snacks (fruit, hummus snacks...). A lot of gas stations will also have vegan snacks.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 03-01-2015 at 12:20 PM.
#3 Old 03-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Taco Bell in a pinch, order the fresco bean burritos; they are accidently vegan. So are their refried beans, but specify no cheese on top.

Where in the US will you be?
no whey jose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Travelling in the US

I'm in the US and we are rated about one of the top five in the world for vegans, sometimes even number one or two on some lists. Israel and Great Britain are our biggest competitors. That being said, it is a huge country so culture and vegan-ness vary greatly region to region- big cities and the Northeast are typically better. Small towns and beach areas are the worst. Taco Bell and Subway are typically present everywhere and both have filling vegan options fast. Watch out for French fries as several fast food places like Bojangles and McDonald's cook them using beef ingredients here in the US. Chipotle is present in a lot of cities and is vegan friendly- just don't get the pinto beans as they have pork. Other semi fast food Burrito places like Moe's and Qdoba are good.

As for sit- down restaurants- if you stick with big chain restaurants you can google search their vegan options and usually find out if there are any. Most big cities and especially university cities have restaurants which list vegan options or even entire vegan menus. Often there are even vegan restaurants in big cities.
At grocery stores you can pick up microwaveable vegan dishes like TasteyBite (not all of these are vegan but the label on the back will tell you), accidentally vegan snacks (see peta website), raw fruits and vegetables, or vegetable sushi.

Our stores contrast with what I've heard of other countries in that everything is in one store. Grocery stores have all types of food in one store, as well as a wide variety of non-food items.

Where will you be? The Northeast and California are the most enlightened and accepting areas for the most part, with a huge swath of the South known as the "Bible Belt" being the most close-minded area and most difficult place to be different from the norm- with exception of large cities. Portland, Oregon; NYC, New York; L.A., California; Ashville, North Carolina; and Austin, Texas (a strangely progressive city in arguably the most backwards, regressive states of all) are some of the best places to be vegan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David3 and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by natty6; 03-01-2015 at 01:27 PM.
#5 Old 03-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

When I have traveled within in the U.S. I have tried to plan it so I am staying somewhere (hotel/motel, with someone, Inn etc) that has a microwave and refrigerator I can use daily.

Snacks are easier. At most gas stations and convenience stores you can find fresh fruits, seeds like sunflower or pumpkin, sometimes nuts (be careful if they are roasted and salted as sometimes coatings of gelatin etc are added), cliff bars and lara bars, single serve bottles of orange juice. You can usually find stuff like oats, pasta, canned vegetables too. Even in small towns, grocery stores will have staples like beans (dried or in cans), pasta, tomato sauces, rice and other grains, fresh fruits and vegetables or frozen, peanut butter, nuts and seeds, cornmeal or polenta. Sometimes you can find soft tortillas that are accidentally vegan in mainstream groceries. Or corn tortillas. As a filling snack I have rolled tortillas up with peanut butter and banana inside. In motel rooms I will heat some water and pour it over dry oats, raisins, cinnamon for hot cereal for breakfast. Or munch on nuts and fruit like mango or oranges etc. Couscous requires only hot water to be added to it and is a nice base to add beans, salsa, and peppers or other raw veggies. A lot of stores have stuff like polenta tubes and I will slice those and heat in microwave with canned beans over the top and a salad on the side.

And of course there are sites like Happy Cow and Veg Dining where you type in your destination and it lists a database of vegan friendly restaurants and stores in that area. Very helpful!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 03-01-2015, 03:07 PM

Thanks a lot for all the tips !

I'll travel mostly in big cities beginning with San Francisco, then Seattle, New York and Philadelphia. I'll go a few days in Canada as well, in Toronto and Niagara Falls.

Yep happycow is really great ! But sometimes I wouldn't have much time to go to vegan restaurants and will need to grab sandwiches or something like that for long train or bus travels. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's possible to eat vegan in big chain restaurants and fast food.
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#7 Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyhi View Post
Thanks a lot for all the tips !

I'll travel mostly in big cities beginning with San Francisco, then Seattle, New York and Philadelphia. I'll go a few days in Canada as well, in Toronto and Niagara Falls.

Yep happycow is really great ! But sometimes I wouldn't have much time to go to vegan restaurants and will need to grab sandwiches or something like that for long train or bus travels. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's possible to eat vegan in big chain restaurants and fast food.
You'll be seeing quite a bit of the US, then, including my home town (Seattle, WA). If you are going to take in a ball game at Safeco Field, there's The Natural on level 1, near the sushi place. We have a Loving Hut on Jackson Street, in the ID (International District/Chinatown neighborhood). SeattleVegan has several places listed on it's sight, including a Seattle Vegan meetup. I hope this helps, and have a great trip.
no whey jose likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#8 Old 05-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
You'll be seeing quite a bit of the US, then, including my home town (Seattle, WA). If you are going to take in a ball game at Safeco Field, there's The Natural on level 1, near the sushi place. We have a Loving Hut on Jackson Street, in the ID (International District/Chinatown neighborhood). SeattleVegan has several places listed on it's sight, including a Seattle Vegan meetup. I hope this helps, and have a great trip.
Seattle is the only city this country boy has ever liked.
and Ive been to many,, too many
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 05-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

While you're in Philadelphia, you should visit Chinatown! There's a lovely vegan restaurant on N. 9th St called New Harmony. My husband and I had our wedding reception there. They have a vegan cheesecake to die for!
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 05-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
While you're in Philadelphia, you should visit Chinatown! There's a lovely vegan restaurant on N. 9th St called New Harmony. My husband and I had our wedding reception there. They have a vegan cheesecake to die for!
why would anyone want to eat a cheesecake thats gonna kill them?
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#11 Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contro View Post
why would anyone want to eat a cheesecake thats gonna kill them?
No no no, you misunderstand-- you die before getting the cheesecake, which is then presented to you by angels on a silver platter in paradise. That's how good this cake is.
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
No no no, you misunderstand-- you die before getting the cheesecake, which is then presented to you by angels on a silver platter in paradise. That's how good this cake is.
Uh, oh. I'm not going up when I die, I'm going down...Do all the demons of Hades serve it to you, only to eat it first or something if you aren't Heaven-bound?
no whey jose likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#13 Old 05-15-2015, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Uh, oh. I'm not going up when I die, I'm going down...Do all the demons of Hades serve it to you, only to eat it first or something if you aren't Heaven-bound?
Yes, but if you're tempted to eat even a few crumbs, you'll be doomed to spend one month each year trapped in Hell for every crumb swallowed, like Persephone with her pomegranate seeds.
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page