vegetarian ibuprofen in United States?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 PM

some store must carry it? I'm more concerned about the ingredients than animal testing, because I know the latter is very hard to avoid.

so, anybody know any ibuprofen brand in USA that is vegetarian??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as I know, most medications have been tested on animals at some point or another, so it's pretty unavoidable. If you read the ingredients on the bottles, watch for ingredients like gelatin which are in most gel capsules. Are you using ibuprofin as an anti-inflammatory, or pain relief? I believe acetaminophen (Tylenol) is easier to find without gelatin, but that is only for pain relief.
#3 Old 10-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

As far as I know, most medications have been tested on animals at some point or another, so it's pretty unavoidable. If you read the ingredients on the bottles, watch for ingredients like gelatin which are in most gel capsules. Are you using ibuprofin as an anti-inflammatory, or pain relief? I believe acetaminophen (Tylenol) is easier to find without gelatin, but that is only for pain relief.

it's only for pain relief. I don't see any gelatin in ingredients list. However, I see questionable items like stearic acid and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

you cant take care of the animals if you dont take care of yourself first.
Justify by telling yourself that the animals that were used in testing, and the animal parts used in making the medication, gave their lives so you could stay healthy longer and remain active in your fight for their rights.
Kinda like a Marine that lays on a grenade to save the rest of his company.

Use it to do good.
#5 Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

you cant take care of the animals if you dont take care of yourself first.
Justify by telling yourself that the animals that were used in testing, and the animal parts used in making the medication, gave their lives so you could stay healthy longer and remain active in your fight for their rights.
Kinda like a Marine that lays on a grenade to save the rest of his company.

Use it to do good.

No thanks.

Do research, find alternatives todo. I'm in Canada, but I'm sure you can find alternatives in the US.

As for myself , I just ended up giving up ibuprofen. Migraines put me out of commission, but I'm not going to use gelatin capsules, etc. I go lay down and tough it out.

Fat man's suggestion is too often used. " I'm too lazy/misinformed to find alternatives to protein othe than meat, guess I'll just consume animal flesh to sustain myself. After all, got to take care of myself first."
#6 Old 10-12-2011, 01:16 AM

Pah. It may not have been the case for you, but sometimes it really is the choice between one's health/wellbeing and using an animal product.

In the US at least, I found that I had to write/call to find out about ingredients. Walgreens used non-animal stearic acid in their own brand products last time I contacted them, but that was maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

No thanks.

Do research, find alternatives todo. I'm in Canada, but I'm sure you can find alternatives in the US.

As for myself , I just ended up giving up ibuprofen. Migraines put me out of commission, but I'm not going to use gelatin capsules, etc. I go lay down and tough it out.

Fat man's suggestion is too often used. " I'm too lazy/misinformed to find alternatives to protein othe than meat, guess I'll just consume animal flesh to sustain myself. After all, got to take care of myself first."

Wow huge surprise, you dont agree with me.
in the U.S, all medications HAVE TO GO through animal testing before being released. for medications here there are no options other than maybe finding a witch doctor to swing a chicken around his head while throwing bald eagle bone dust at you..

As far as just going and laying down and toughing it out? If one works, that is not always an option. One day you will understand this.
#8 Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Banned

If you are really looking for back to nature, find a white willow, strip off some of the bark and chew on it for awhile. Its what the Indians used for pain and its also the basis of todays aspirin
#9 Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Pah. It may not have been the case for you, but sometimes it really is the choice between one's health/wellbeing and using an animal product.

In the US at least, I found that I had to write/call to find out about ingredients. Walgreens used non-animal stearic acid in their own brand products last time I contacted them, but that was maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

As stated, all medication in the US is required by law to be animal tested, so there's no avoiding that if you use ANY medication. But avoiding things with animal ingredients really isn't that hard. Just read the ingredients lists, avoid the obvious like gelatin, and maybe email the company to ask about questionable ingredients.

I use the Target generic equivalent to Advil, which is gelatin free, but I don't think I ever asked about some of the other stuff in the ingredients that I can't pronounce. But I usually don't - I'm more of a "big picture" kind of person when it comes to stuff like this, as I'm sure I would drive myself nuts and end up giving up if I tried to be a perfectionist.

--Fromper
#10 Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 PM

I don't think it's easy in most cases to take medications but avoid animal ingredients. Stuff like stearic acid/misc. stearates are in loads and loads of OTC meds. You can sometimes find out about ingredients sources from the companies involved, which can be a lengthy process, and isn't always successful. Once you start talking about prescription meds, which generally offer few brand choices, then you have even more difficulty.

I just really feel strongly that avoiding trace ingredients to an extent that it damages a veg*n's physical or mental health is shooting oneself in the foot.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in