East Coast Hurricane - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

Who is in the target zone?
Do we have people in the DC area that might need help if things actually get bad

Post here, I have a big truck, a chainsaw and despite public opinion, a big heart, if I can help, I will.

lets look out for each other when needed, we can argue when times are good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Ankle Biter

I'm just southwest of Richmond, VA. We're supposed to get wind and rain here. I'm hoping that all my trees stay upright.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I live outside DC. We're set up with food, books, cards and beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

Im in Davidsonville MD. Just outside DC. As with most storms, I will be out helping people.
The hurricane that we had back in 2000 I think, I drove a generator to some people 30 miles away while the wind was blowing at close to 100 mph. We had to stop and cut trees out of the roadways 3 times to get there.

Not sure if I enjoy the thrill of the challenge or the helping people more..
It comes back to you though, during the ice storms a few years back I was at the end of my driveway cutting up a tree that had fallen and taken out my lines and blocked me in. Some guys stopped and helped. it goes both ways. You give, and somehow someone will come back and return sooner or later
#5 Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

oh, and I have the camping trailer filled with fresh water, 2 deep cycle batteries full charged, 60lbs of propane, and the fridge is on and cooling just in case. I can live in it for almost a month if needed. and I can take hot showers.
#6 Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I'm just southwest of Richmond, VA. We're supposed to get wind and rain here. I'm hoping that all my trees stay upright.

This is my hope, as well. We have some REALLY tall pine trees directly near our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

I live outside DC. We're set up with food, books, cards and beer

I just came back from the grocery store...bought WAY more snacks than I normally would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Im in Davidsonville MD. Just outside DC. As with most storms, I will be out helping people.
The hurricane that we had back in 2000 I think, I drove a generator to some people 30 miles away while the wind was blowing at close to 100 mph. We had to stop and cut trees out of the roadways 3 times to get there.

Not sure if I enjoy the thrill of the challenge or the helping people more..
It comes back to you though, during the ice storms a few years back I was at the end of my driveway cutting up a tree that had fallen and taken out my lines and blocked me in. Some guys stopped and helped. it goes both ways. You give, and somehow someone will come back and return sooner or later

I agree. We had a tree fall across our driveway last year...the neighbors, who we don't normally see except to wave to on our way to and from work, (or when we are shoveling our cars out from a foot and half of snow in the winter) came out in full force and helped us clear it out. Got the job done in a few hours. Would have taken us days to do it ourselves. I think it's great that you help out when you can.
#7 Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

We are right outside the poconos in PA, we only live a block from a river that ALWAYS floods so we have the sandbags ready..... ugh. I just hope a tree doesnt fall on my car. We got supplies and are ready.... my parents are in NY and they are expecting to get it worse

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#8 Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Very thoughtful, Fatman.
#9 Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Ankle Biter

It's getting pretty rough. There are many trees down around Richmond and you're lucky if you have power.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#10 Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

It's getting pretty rough. There are many trees down around Richmond and you're lucky if you have power.

Reckon the fire in the Great Dismal Swamp is out yet?
#11 Old 08-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Reckon the fire in the Great Dismal Swamp is out yet?

It's pretty likely, although they're supposed to make an official visit tomorrow to make sure.

#12 Old 08-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama884 View Post

We are right outside the poconos in PA, we only live a block from a river that ALWAYS floods so we have the sandbags ready..... ugh. I just hope a tree doesnt fall on my car. We got supplies and are ready.... my parents are in NY and they are expecting to get it worse

I am in NY as well...we always get water in our basement, usually just seepage, though. But during storms like this it is possible to get an inch or two. It's not fixed up real nice or anything, but we did a little work down there so my son could stay down there, comfortably, with his two cats (he moved back home when he lost his job). I hope we don't get too much water. Hope things don't get too bad for you either!
#13 Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Wind is picking up here pretty good now.
Rain has been hard for the last hour or so.
According to forcasts, the storm is lined up for a run right up the Chesapeake Bay, this will put it passing over me directly at somewhere between 11pm and 2 am depending on speed.

Looking forward to a fun ride.
#14 Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I am in NY as well...we always get water in our basement, usually just seepage, though. But during storms like this it is possible to get an inch or two. It's not fixed up real nice or anything, but we did a little work down there so my son could stay down there, comfortably, with his two cats (he moved back home when he lost his job). I hope we don't get too much water. Hope things don't get too bad for you either!

Thanks you too!! My parents never had issues with flooding thankfully so for me this is new. Good thing my neighbors have are pros at this!!! I think we will be ok, we are expected to get hit around 2am. Its been dismal all day, on and off thunderstorms and now its practically pitch black out, wind is also picking up but only a little. Its eerie and calm almost.

#15 Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

It's been raining here for a while, but now it's really starting to pick up. The winds aren't too bad yet...
#16 Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama884 View Post

Thanks you too!! My parents never had issues with flooding thankfully so for me this is new. Good thing my neighbors have are pros at this!!! I think we will be ok, we are expected to get hit around 2am. Its been dismal all day, on and off thunderstorms and now its practically pitch black out, wind is also picking up but only a little. Its eerie and calm almost.

Like I added before, with the newest forcast the eye is coming up the bay and going directly over my house. If these storms are new for you, dont worry. Most of the homes on the east coast are actually built to stand through a storm like this. (only 85mph wind right now) Just kick back and enjoy. You will be just fine.
#17 Old 08-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

It's been raining here for a while, but now it's really starting to pick up. The winds aren't too bad yet...

we just went through a period of higher wind, hit a 48 on my gauge, but it has slacked off again.
#18 Old 08-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Whooo Hooo, just registered a gust at 51 mph,, its coming
#19 Old 08-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in central NC. My power was out for a few hours today, but we didn't get very much rain at all. I drove ten minutes to the store, and they still had power there. Unlucky I suppose.

I still remember getting hit by Hurricane Fran in 1996. I was about seven years old. It came at night and it was so, so loud, but I remember how strange it was when the eye passed over and it was quiet. We lost a few trees in our yard, but nothing too major.
#20 Old 08-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Like I added before, with the newest forcast the eye is coming up the bay and going directly over my house. If these storms are new for you, dont worry. Most of the homes on the east coast are actually built to stand through a storm like this. (only 85mph wind right now) Just kick back and enjoy. You will be just fine.

thanks! I am mostly concerned about the river flooding, I can see it from my house, earlier this spring it reached our yard just because the SNOW melted LOL.

#21 Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

Gusting over 60 mph now.. pine trees are swaying a good deal...
#22 Old 08-28-2011, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Looks like we are going to come out of this unscathed. It's not over yet but we have gone from expected winds of 60-70 mph to 30-40. So far, no downed trees and we still have power. I don't want to be too optimistic since we still have another 2-3 hours to go...but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
#23 Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok woke up to minimal damage (the norm that would be expected after a rainstorm) but its getting worse the upstairs windows are rattling and the gusts are about 40mph, supposed to get up to 60. Compared to what others got this is NOTHING. My kids are scared. So far we lost tv and internet but the lights are still on! Hope everyone else is ok.

#24 Old 08-28-2011, 06:49 AM

It's over NYC now. I live in southern NH and the rain is getting progressively heavier and the winds are picking up as well. The worst of it will come this evening and taper off into tomorrow. I suspect the damage will be minimal, save for some down trees or power outages. Either way, my boss told us all to use our discretion when it comes to going to work in the a.m.
#25 Old 08-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

My house is located on a creek in jersey that connects to the del river AKA floodzone.
Our house is destroyed (no surprise, it was def. expected) What really sucks is that it flooded a few months ago and it just got fixed. My parents had to pay
$9,000 out of pocket because flood insurance sucked. Now the whole fiasco is on repeat. so stressed out.
what pisses me off? i worked all summer to save money up like when i see people doubting their child's ability to eat before their 8 am classes...and knowing i wasted my summer away having to be clocked in @ work at 6 am working fourty hours a week and now its going to be gone because i have to live in a hotel...... ugh depressing, but it could be worse..
#26 Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

My house is located on a creek in jersey that connects to the del river AKA floodzone.
Our house is destroyed (no surprise, it was def. expected) What really sucks is that it flooded a few months ago and it just got fixed. My parents had to pay
$9,000 out of pocket because flood insurance sucked. Now the whole fiasco is on repeat. so stressed out.
what pisses me off? i worked all summer to save money up like when i see people doubting their child's ability to eat before their 8 am classes...and knowing i wasted my summer away having to be clocked in @ work at 6 am working fourty hours a week and now its going to be gone because i have to live in a hotel...... ugh depressing, but it could be worse..

I am so sorry to hear this, Jessickah. That is just terrible.
#27 Old 08-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Winds are kicking up pretty good again!
#28 Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Banned

no my family members all live in PA.
i work and go to community in new jersey.
too much of a hassle, oh well. what can ya do.
#29 Old 08-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry about the property destruction, Jessickah.

I live on the upper Hudson river in upstate New York (well, about a quarter to a half mile away from the shore). I work near it too. We got LOTS of rain on Sunday, and I've never seen the river this high, but there was no wind to speak of. I did a kludge repair on my sump pump's control float a little bit ago (with a twist-closer from a breadbag, believe it or not!) and the thing was pumping water like a champion, even though it's been in the cellar at least since I bought the place in 1987. Fortunately, my area didn't lose power.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#30 Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I'm sorry about the property destruction, Jessickah.

I live on the upper Hudson river in upstate New York (well, about a quarter to a half mile away from the shore). I work near it too. We got LOTS of rain on Sunday, and I've never seen the river this high, but there was no wind to speak of. I did a kludge repair on my sump pump's control float a little bit ago (with a twist-closer from a breadbag, believe it or not!) and the thing was pumping water like a champion, even though it's been in the cellar at least since I bought the place in 1987. Fortunately, my area didn't lose power.

My family lives in organge/dutchess county and they got horrible flooding They didnt lose power though....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page