Martin Luther King Jr. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Tomorrow in the U.S./ or today, depending on when and if you read this
If you are off, remember to take some time to silently thank MLK for all he did and all he gave of himself to do it.

How sad that he did not live to see his Dream realized to the exent that it now is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

But there is evidence that black people are still judged by their skin color and not by the content of their character.

Sorry to be such a downer, but it's true.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

We have 364 days to work really hard at moving toward a less racist society. One day a year we should be able to look back and say "We've come a long way!"

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Whether it's about celebration of past success or about motivation for future change, MLK played an important role in American history and his memory deserves recognition. I'll be going to an MLK parade today.
#5 Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

We have one of the largest MLK Day parades here in Dallas and I've never been able to see it because I always have to work. One of these years I need to arrange to take the day off and go see it.

For today I am honoring MLK Jr with my FB status.

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." - Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)
#6 Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Whether it's about celebration of past success or about motivation for future change, MLK played an important role in American history and his memory deserves recognition. I'll be going to an MLK parade today.

See, I knew that sooner or later we could find common ground.
#7 Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Banned

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in periods of moral crisis, reserve their neutrality"
#8 Old 01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huruma View Post

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in periods of moral crisis, reserve their neutrality"

Wow, really?

The reality is we have come a long way. We still have a long way to go, too. That's not me being neutral. That's me noticing and reacting to reality.
#9 Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

Wow, really?

The reality is we have come a long way. We still have a long way to go, too. That's not me being neutral. That's me noticing and reacting to reality.

dont want to piss you off too much, but I dont think as of right now there is a reserved spot in hell for you. Sorry.

Me on the other hand?? Ive done some pretty wrongful stuff in my day.
#10 Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

For one day let's just reflect on how far we've come. We have the rest of the year to beat ourselves up about how much there's still left to do.

I heard someone make that point today on NPR and I agree with it 100%.
#11 Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

Wow, really?

I don't know what you think I was replying to but I was just posting one of my favorite quotes by him, lol. I have no idea what's been going on in this thread.
#12 Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

dont want to piss you off too much, but I dont think as of right now there is a reserved spot in hell for you. Sorry.

Me on the other hand?? Ive done some pretty wrongful stuff in my day.

I see a lot of your posts lately and I'm reminded of some sound life advice. "Let thy speech be better than silence of be silent."

Hell is make believe, and as much good work as Elaine has done for reducing suffering of various types in the world she'd be about the last person who'd go there even if it existed.

Tam! RUGH!
#13 Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

here's a new youtube tribute for 2011

the following is from the remarks below the video...

Quote:
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
(January 15, 1929 -- April 4, 1968)

The song "Happy Birthday is from the 1980 LP "Hotter Than July."

Stevie Wonder wrote this song in protest of the refusal to recognize Dr. King's birthday as a national holiday. In 1983 Ronald Reagan signed the law declaring the recognition of Dr. King's birthday as a holiday.

Please see below for a timeline of this process.

Did you know that Dr. Kings birth name was Michael King Jr.? After traveling to Europe Dr. Kings father changed his name, & the name of his Son to honor "Martin Luther" the former catholic priest who abandoned his faith to oppose injustices within the religion.

Timeline To Dr. King's Birthday Becoming A National Holiday. This Fight Took Over 15 Years, & The Involvement Of Millions Of Citizens To Be Won:

April 8, 1968
Rep John Conyers (D-GA) & Shirley Chisholm (D-NY) introduce legislation to recognize Dr. King's birthday as a national holiday. This bill soon dies.

April 1971
Activists introduce petitions with 3 million signatures supporting a "Dr. King" holiday to Congress, but no action is taken by the Congressmen to introduce official legislation.

IL State Legislator Harold Washington (D-IL) sponsors a state bill to recognize a Dr. King holiday which is later signed into law. Mr. Washington would later become the first black mayor of Chicago serving from 1983 - 1987. Sadly, Mayor Washington died under suspicious circumstances while drinking a cup of coffee in his city hall office. The leftover coffee was never tested. Mayor Washington met strong opposition from certain members of the Chicago City Council led by Alderman Edward "Fast Eddie" Vrdolyak. Ironically, Mr. Vrdolyak is scheduled to report to a federal prision on 1/19/11 after almost certainly receiving favorable treatment in his initial sentence of "probation" for various crimes.

Mrs. Coretta Scott King testifies before a senate judiciary committee to lobby for a national holiday for her late husband. Rep Conyers (D-GA) once again introduces legislation to recognize Dr. King's birthday as a national holiday. In November of 1980 the bill is once again defeated.

Stevie Wonder releases "Happy Birthday" a song honoring Dr. Kings legacy & serves as a rallying call for citizens to support a national holiday honoring Dr. King. Mr. Wonfder had long been a supporter of this cause.

Mrs. King & Mr. Wonder introduce petitions with the signatures of 6 million people in support of a Dr. King holiday to house speaker Phillip "Tip" O'Neil (D-MA) & Congresswoman Katie Hall (D-IN) a long time supporter of a Dr. King holiday. Great strides are made, & the process to recognize Dr. King begins to take shape.

The bill passes congress, A compromise moving the holiday from Jan. 15, Dr. King's actual birthday, which was considered too close to Christmas and New Year's, to the third Monday in January helped overcome opposition to the law. Ronald Reagan (who had previously opposed said bill) signs the bill into law on the Rose Garden of the White House. Mrs. King & Congresswoman Hall stands behind President Reagan as he signs the bill.

The first official Dr. King holiday is observed for the first time on January 20, 1986, it is called Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

Please let's try to keep Dr. Kings dream alive. The fight isn't over yet. Injustices solely because of race, social class, religion, & creed still continuie today. If left unchecked, we will only move backwards instead of forward.

Gold Bless You All, & PLEASE, Keep The Dream Alive!

"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation...want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.... Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

- Frederick Douglass, 1857

RIP Dr. King!

my favorite:
Quote:
That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.

carpe vegiem
#14 Old 01-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I see a lot of your posts lately and I'm reminded of some sound life advice. "Let thy speech be better than silence of be silent."

Hell is make believe, and as much good work as Elaine has done for reducing suffering of various types in the world she'd be about the last person who'd go there even if it existed.

read what I wrote again. I have a feeling other than the Hell is make believe part, we are saying the same thing about Elaines chance of going their based on the same reasons.

by the way, Dionysius?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page