Vegan Ice Cream - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 AM

My local Holland & Barratt just started selling swedish glace icecream vanilla, chocolate, raspberry & blueberry. I've tried the vanilla & chocolate which are really good, anyone tried the others?

They have toffutti also but not keen on them is there any other good brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 AM

I tried rice dream a while ago and it tastes like normal icecream, evan my parents said so and there both devoted omnis

swedish glace is really good though and you can get it at most supermarkets.

Not so keen on toffuti, it always had ice crystals in and had a weird aftertaste to me
#3 Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I really like Booja-Booja ice cream. It comes in 4 flavours (vanilla, chocolate, ginger and maple pecan), and it is great: texture, creaminess and lots of flavour.

I also like that they only use a few ingredients: the base of all their ice creams consists of cashew nuts, water and agave nectar. I warmly recommend them. The maple pecan flavour is to die for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-28-2009, 11:46 AM

not seen rice dream or booja booja where i live can u get them in uk? maple pecan & ginger sound really good
#5 Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Beginner

[QUOTE=mazikeen]Personally, I really like Booja-Booja ice cream. It comes in 4 flavours (vanilla, chocolate, ginger and maple pecan) [QUOTE]

They also do a coconut flavour which is VERY nice.
#6 Old 05-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Booja Booja ice cream is great but VERY expensive. They don't sell in chains but a local wholefood shop with freezer section may have it, you can also order it from goodness direct i believe.

Swedish Glace Vanilla or blueberry are my favorites!
#7 Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 PM

I'm gonna get the blueberry one after i've finished the chocolate one i'll have to have a look about for booja booja ones, sound good!
#8 Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

i like the raspberry ok, but i can make my own raspberry ripple by microwaving frozen raspberries and sugar, and tipping it on the vanilla, which is much nicer.
#9 Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM

We tried the maple pecan Booja Booja and it was quite yummy, and *very* rich (and also *very* expensive...about 6 quid a tub, I think).

Honestly, I dig the vanilla Swedish Glace. I have no doubt I could eat a whole tub by my own self. Now if I could just find vegan jimmies.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 05-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

jimmies? is this anything like jammies? or jimmy riddles?
#11 Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

jimmies? is this anything like jammies? or jimmy riddles?

She means hundreds and thousands. I had to look on wikipedia to figure this one out!

Quote:
They also do a coconut flavour which is VERY nice.

Yup! Forgot about that one.

Booja Booja ice cream and truffles are not sold in supermarkets, only at health food shops and online vegan stores. A bit on the expensive side, admittedly, but totally worth it.
#12 Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

She means hundreds and thousands. I had to look on wikipedia to figure this one out!

ooooh! sprinkles! i miss those. and silver balls. and jelly diamonds. and miget jems. actually, i miss being 6.
#13 Old 05-29-2009, 03:11 AM

Heh. Yeah...I should've said sprinkles. They're not the same as hundreds and thousands though, at least not the Supercook ones I've seen around here. I found something called sugar strands that looked similar, but there was something non vegan in them. (carmine, I think).

I think the name is used in a variety of products. I was trying to find what I'm talking about on Google: http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...num=4&ct=title

The little ball/spherical ones are *not* Jimmies, only the long ones on the right.

Honestly, I thought Jimmies was some UK thing, until we moved here. It's a New England word in the States, which often means it's imported from the motherland.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#14 Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Tesco up here sell Swedish Glace cornettos in their 'health food shop' - about £5.50 for a box of 6 which I guess isn't too bad - they are really nice though, so they dont last long
#15 Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM

chocolate one is really yummy! the blueberry one tastes a bit wierd though! tastes a bit like dough =/

wish i had some today, its so nice
#16 Old 05-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I've tried a really nice vegan chocolate ice cream from Morrisons - sorry, can't remember the brand but it was very yummy - next to all the dairy ice creams. ....and I don't usually like chocolate ice cream!
#17 Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

IamJen, Askeys ice cream sprinkles are (I think) vegan. They use annato rather than carmine for their red colouring.

They sell them in my local Tesco's x
#18 Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'm not a Tescoite, but I will hunt around for them online. Vanilla ice cream with sprinkles = one of the best things in the whole wide world.

#19 Old 05-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the Swedish Glace vanilla with a spoon or 2 instant coffee granules. Weird, but Oh so good with some decaf fairtrade coffee crunch on top of yummy vanilla.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#20 Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 AM

My omni parents are pretty much switching over to my glace in preference to their Mackies icecream. 1-0 to me (and glace!)

Vanilla is my favourite. Raspberry is pretty nice, but blueberry tasted odd to me. Haven't tried the chocolate one. Bought Booja Booja's chocolate one instead but really didn't like it...

Tofutti's mango/passionfruit one tastes bizarre too...not a fan. Love their rock n roll cones though. Need to look out for the glace ones!
#21 Old 05-31-2009, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I vote for B Nice. The chocolate and strawberry ones taste like "normal" ice cream, although I remember the vanilla one tasting a bit rice-y when I tried it. Not in a bad way, but wouldn't fool any omnis. The others would though .
#22 Old 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I love b'nice! It doesnt seem to cope if I buy it in a health food shop then cart it home and refreeze though, just tastes like ice. so i only eat it at vegan fayres haha.

The mango tofutti is kinda gross, it smells like mango but tastes like nothing! I had to chop up real mango and put it in it to get the taste. I found the chocolate tofutti ok until it started melting and all seperated argh

The best thing ever though is ben and jerrys Jamaican me crazy. Pineapple sorbet! Mmm. Im a sorbet person rather than ice cream

Random fact: when i was little i used to call 100s and 1000s "po pats". dont ask why cause i dont have a clue haha. my dad still does though!
#23 Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 AM

Not seen the bnice ones near me, but i,ve so far tried the swedish glace vanilla & chocolate, both r really nice (going to try raspberry one next) and have tried the tofutti mango but not that keen on that one! anyone tried the tofutti corneto as they have them in my local holland & barratt?
#24 Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Banned

I've been enjoying Swedish Glace vanilla with sliced fresh strawberries topped with chocolate sauce during these past few warm evenings...
#25 Old 06-01-2009, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

My local health store sells a nice rice ice cream called B-Nice. i'm particularly partial to the strawberry flavour.
#26 Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I seem to remember talking to the man at the vegan fayre in london that any wholefood shop that stocks beanies products should be able to get Bnice ice cream for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page