Witch Sticks - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
The Lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 986
I bought a Witch Stick for my plooks last night and noticed that one of the ingredients is myristyl lactate which may or may not be animal based.



The full ingredients are:



Active Ingredient: Alcoholic Witch Hazel Extract 15.88%w/w. Also contains: Ethanol, propylene glycol, disodium edetate, glycerol, myristyl lactate, lauric acid diethanolamide, with hazel essence, sodium stearate, cetyl alcohol, purified water, FD&C blue no. 1.



Have I made a boo boo?





On a side note, googling witch stick vegan gives you this: http://www.landoverbaptist.org/sermons/vegans.html
The Lurker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
a what now? plooks? language barrier!!!1111



oh, a witch hazel thingy to splodge on your spots?



erm... their website isn't very helpful on the subject.



you could email them: http://www.witchskincare.com/History.aspx i spect you knew that though.



witch hazel isn't half bad stuff. you could probably plonk it on the plooks without a stick being involved if you wanted (like buy it just in alcohol)?
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#3 Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

On a side note, googling witch stick vegan gives you this: http://www.landoverbaptist.org/sermons/vegans.html

That's been one of my favorite articles for a long time!

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
muchluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
I thought that link could be a joke, but apparently.. not?



EDIT: It is fictional, phew!
muchluv is offline  
#5 Old 03-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Veggie Regular
 
The Lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

a what now? plooks? language barrier!!!1111



oh, a witch hazel thingy to splodge on your spots?



erm... their website isn't very helpful on the subject.



you could email them: http://www.witchskincare.com/History.aspx i spect you knew that though.



witch hazel isn't half bad stuff. you could probably plonk it on the plooks without a stick being involved if you wanted (like buy it just in alcohol)?



lol well interpreted



i've never seen (noticed) witch hazel on its own so i'll keep a look out



my gut reaction is to keep away from anything that says lactic, lactose, lactate though?
The Lurker is offline  
#6 Old 03-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Beginner
 
singing hinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

lol well interpreted



i've never seen (noticed) witch hazel on its own so i'll keep a look out



my gut reaction is to keep away from anything that says lactic, lactose, lactate though?



NeilsYard do a lovely organic one but it's quite pricey at around £8. Some health food shops stock plain distilled no frills at a very low price.
singing hinnie is offline  
#7 Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

lol well interpreted



i've never seen (noticed) witch hazel on its own so i'll keep a look out



my gut reaction is to keep away from anything that says lactic, lactose, lactate though?



thanks! i was gonna phone my scottish mum and ask her what a plook was, but she has this tendancy to laugh down the phone at my random questions, so i used my inititaive and googled instead.



yeah, it is around. hippy healthfood shops and holland and barrett type places carry stuff like that, and boots and superdrug might even have it unfiddled with- if you ask a pharmacist, they tend to know about those sorta things, and if they don't, they have a book they can look it up in.



thats a pretty decent gut reaction. the only issue is that lactic acid can be and very often is vegan (your muscles make it, its a fermenty sugar thing too), and its a shame to miss out on good stuff like pickles that often have it in there. labels should be better. maybe if we annoy the people making and selling things enough, they'll make the labels clearer to stop the earache from our phonecalls. even if they don't, its pretty good fun to torment them if you're a bit short of something to do for 10 minutes of a boring afternoon at work, and you've already broken the stapler and messed up the settings on someone elses computer, etc.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#8 Old 03-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ParrotGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 845
School has blocked that link. reason: tasteless...
ParrotGirl is offline  
#9 Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sheep View Post

School has blocked that link. reason: tasteless...



your school is daft. if you've ever tasted witchhazel, its pretty foul.



disclaimer: please nobody go licking witch sticks then come running crying to/pointing fingers at me about it.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#10 Old 03-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ParrotGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

your school is daft. if you've ever tasted witchhazel, its pretty foul.



disclaimer: please nobody go licking witch sticks then come running crying to/pointing fingers at me about it.



ParrotGirl is offline  
#11 Old 03-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
So:



Witch stick lick = no



Plook plonking = yes



??



Brandon is offline  
#12 Old 03-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

So:



Witch stick lick = no



Plook plonking = yes



??






and no picking the plooks after you've plonked the gloop from the stick on them.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#13 Old 03-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Brandon is offline  
#14 Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
i tell you what... i'd die a happy woman if the lurker recorded himself saying "just so ya know, you should nae pick ya plooks, jus' gi-em a wee dab wid' ya gloop from the wee witch stick (and dunnae lick ya witch stick either)". and posted it online.



jeneticallymodified is offline  
#15 Old 03-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i tell you what... i'd die a happy woman if the lurker recorded himself saying "just so ya know, you should nae pick ya plooks, jus' gi-em a wee dab wid' ya gloop from the wee witch stick (and dunnae lick ya witch stick either)". and posted it online.






+1



Brandon is offline  
#16 Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

+1






you'd die a happy woman too?
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#17 Old 03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

you'd die a happy woman too?



Perhaps.
Brandon is offline  
#18 Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular
 
The Lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 986
I don't want to be responsible for anyones death - man, woman or hermaphrodite!
The Lurker is offline  
#19 Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
awwwwwwwww.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#20 Old 03-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Brandon is offline  
#21 Old 03-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
The Lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 986
mwwaaahhaaaaahaaaaa!!!
The Lurker is offline  
#22 Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
yblad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 260
Why not just buy yourself a bottle of distilled witchhazel? Works better, is cheaper, and none of this worrying what's in it just dab it on with a piece of cotton wool, and rinse it off say 10 mins later.
yblad is offline  
#23 Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular
 
The Lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by yblad View Post

Why not just buy yourself a bottle of distilled witchhazel? Works better, is cheaper, and none of this worrying what's in it just dab it on with a piece of cotton wool, and rinse it off say 10 mins later.



yeah I'll keep a look out for that - I've never noticed it before but then I've never really looked for it.



(I have lovely skin by the way - it's only the odd blemish I'm talking about )
The Lurker is offline  
#24 Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
i bet your skin is like a babies bottom. lucky sod.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#25 Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
The Lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 986
It puts the lotion on the skin . . .
The Lurker is offline  
#26 Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#27 Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Beginner
 
Alex =)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 190
Have you ever thought that maybe products like these should be labbled suitable for veggies as well? But then again people are stupid...I remember once I refused to use some soap because it had sodium tallowate in it, she said you're not going to eat it...

For a forum full of hippies, this place sure does repress my freedom of speech.
Alex =) is offline  
#28 Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =) View Post

Have you ever thought that maybe products like these should be labbled suitable for veggies as well? But then again people are stupid...I remember once I refused to use some soap because it had sodium tallowate in it, she said you're not going to eat it...



some are. its just about whether the company can be bothered to get their stuff certified, cos its not compulsary. if it was then so should all sorts of other 'suitable fors' be and the packaging would be covered in it.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off