Foie gras back on the menu in York‏ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 PM

The Churchill Hotel York have recently placed foie gras on their menu depsite heavy local opposition from both York Action For Animals members and supporters of the anti foie gras movement.

Please urgently contact The Churchill hotel and ask politly that they remove foie gras from their menu.

Their website and contact details are

http://www.churchillhotel.com/

The Churchill Hotel

65 Bootham

York

YO30 7DQ

Tel 01904 644456

Fax 01904 663322

Email [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 AM
ian

I am new to this forum so apologies if I'm repeating what's been said before. I am extremely annoyed about the prevalence of foie gras. I am currently trying to book a good restaurant without foie gras on the menu and it's amazing how, if you type the restaurant name and "foie gras" into Google, nearly always do you get a response confirming that foie gras is served there. This is usually evidenced by the fact that some moron is extolling the virtue of it.

Not only is there apathy; it's worse than that. There is still active enthusiasm for this "delicacy", especially of course in "up market" restaurants with French cuisine. If the restaurant has a Michelin star its pretty certain to serve "foie gras".

I do have one strategy which I wonder if anyone else has exploited? If I find a restaurant has foie gras on the menu I book for 6 people and then cancel at the last minute saying that I am doing so because I've just discovered they serve foie gras. At best it will cost them money, at worst it's a waste of time but it makes me feel better. The trouble is, so long as there is demand it will be met by someone and banning the "production" is not the answer in my view as it will simply move to it to even worse places. There must be two parallel strategies: banning the sale of it and education.
#3 Old 01-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian View Post

I do have one strategy which I wonder if anyone else has exploited? If I find a restaurant has foie gras on the menu I book for 6 people and then cancel at the last minute saying that I am doing so because I've just discovered they serve foie gras. At best it will cost them money, at worst it's a waste of time but it makes me feel better.

I guess that would get the message across but it seems a little... vindictive? Of course the treatment of the animals is MUCH worse but I don't think I'd be comfortable doing something like that. You might end up hurting people who have no control over whether foie gras is served or not, like the waiter/ress who was looking forward to tips from a party of six, or somebody who was refused a table because they were fully booked. You can say "serves them right" but I've worked as a waitress and served meat to people... everyone needs to pay their bills.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you talked about demand. People will pay a lot of money for foie gras and from a business perspective, at restaurants where it sells well it would be foolish to take it off the menu. And even if the animal rights front did succeed and it was banned, that would sort of reinforce the misconception than foie gras is evil but eating ordinary beef, lamb, chicken etc. is okay.

I will definitely e-mail and express my disappointment that this is back on the menu though.

Edit: I've just been to their website and I can't see foie gras on the menu. Have they taken it off again or am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-02-2009, 04:34 PM
ian

[QUOTE=WorzelGummidge]I guess that would get the message across but it seems a little... vindictive? Of course the treatment of the animals is MUCH worse but I don't think I'd be comfortable doing something like that. You might end up hurting people who have no control over whether foie gras is served or not, like the waiter/ress who was looking forward to tips from a party of six, or somebody who was refused a table because they were fully booked. You can say "serves them right" but I've worked as a waitress and served meat to people... everyone needs to pay their bills.

I do see your point but I suppose it's about where lines are drawn. Yes, it "hurts" some people such as those you mention, but likewise, if there is legislation and/or education which one way or another eliminates the "production" then surely that is going to hurt the individuals who make a living out of producing it, their family, the guy who drives the van to take it to market .... etc etc - everyone in the supply chain from the guy who rams the funnel in the animal's throat and force feeds it until it's liver bursts right through to the waiter who hands it to the customer in the restaurant. It is a complex issue but I think that foie gras production is one of the most extreme examples of animal cruelty in the context of the various forms of meat production and that if anyone or everyone in the supply chain has to feel some pain in order to highlight and hence hopefully stop it then so be it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page