Still more meetup fun...Alton Towers, 8th of September (not the 9th) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 AM

I think that a couple of gals are joining me on my first UK theme park visit (I hope...ladies?). Anyway, if there's anyone else who'd like to come, the more the merrier. Fun fun fun!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Bof
Banned

Why do UK comedy shows take the piss out of Alton Towers, as though it's overrated?

I seem to recall Vicky Pollard saying it was 'rubbash.'
#3 Old 08-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

I'm not a fan of Alton Towers. Its a lovely grounds and if you want to wander around the gardens and enjoy that aspect then its a great day out. However, there aren't actually that many rides so the queues for the rides can be horrendous. I don't like standing in a queue for 45 minutes for a 30 second thrill ride. But if you go early and run towards the big rides and then enjoy the park it can be OK.

But I'd rather do Blackpool any time. Lots of rides in a small area, some of the coasters are really cool old wooden things and there is a great hokey charm about the place.

But Alton Towers has the best coaster in the UK right now; ride it twice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Z77jidZTw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 AM

I saw an ad for that coaster on TV the other day! Blackpool's on my list too, but I'm sure it won't be until 2009.

I'm hoping that the queues will be down a bit, at least, since it's a Monday, after all the kiddies have to be back in school.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I've just been, on 23rd of July! I enjoyed it... something different. If you go, you have to go on 'Oblivion'...... eeek!
#6 Old 08-19-2008, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

I've just been, on 23rd of July! I enjoyed it... something different. If you go, you have to go on 'Oblivion'...... eeek!

I really don't see what's so scary about it. It's one drop. It's a bit crap, to be perfectly honest.

Nemesis is where it's at!
#7 Old 08-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't do Mondays, especially not in September, unfortunately. I am not allowed to take any leave in Sept or Oct normally because that's when the students come rolling in.
#8 Old 08-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I went last year on october 5th or some date like that.it was empty.

when i got to the big screen that had queue times and it was all "0 minutes" i was so happy haha.

but the monorailthingy was broken so had to walk between rides argh! going again soon (if my lift is willing to er.. give me a lift) but I doubt itll be that early on in sept
#9 Old 08-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm probably still in, I have a few buy 1 get 1 free tickets aswell. Who else is going jen?
#10 Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I really don't see what's so scary about it. It's one drop. It's a bit crap, to be perfectly honest.

Nemesis is where it's at!

I didn't think Nemesis was scarey at all.... i wasn't impressed! There was nothing different about it. Oblivion is a completely vertical drop, face down, into a black hole. And you can see for miles up there!

I actually preferred Air to Nemesis.
#11 Old 08-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

I'm probably still in, I have a few buy 1 get 1 free tickets aswell. Who else is going jen?

I think it's us and kat.

<<<looks around for kat. :P

#12 Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 AM

9th of Sept is a Tuesday - its stuck in my head as its the day my kids go back to school!
#13 Old 08-24-2008, 05:06 AM

Sorry, it's the 8th of September. I'll change the title. Der.

#14 Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 AM

will give it a miss then as would have to bring all 3 kids with me! and i have to admit to being a bit of coward when it comes to scary rides anway! think I may have some buy one get one free vouchers somewhere - will try and dig them out for you guys if you need them?
#15 Old 08-24-2008, 02:36 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

Sorry still here. My head is not with it today as I had a long day yesterday (being a bridesmaid) Will have to have a think about the 8th and see if I have the time/ money to go.
#16 Old 08-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't do the 8th now I have to goto a course in Cambridge. Any chance of a change on date? Or am i asking too much there?
#17 Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 AM

Oh poo. I'm going on that date because I have a couple of tickets (from the Sun offer) that are only could on that date.

#18 Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Oh poo. I'm going on that date because I have a couple of tickets (from the Sun offer) that are only could on that date.

I'm sorry I have a few buy one get one free tickets if that's any help. I don't really know what else to suggest i don't really have a choice to get out of it. If kats still up for going that's cool I'll just sit this one out.
#19 Old 08-29-2008, 03:07 PM

I'm pretty stuck to the date anyway, regardless, because of asking for the day off from work. I'm sure I could do it, but it's a bit late to ask to switch. I love roller coasters though, so we can make a date for another time.

#20 Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

Hi sorry I haven't been on here much! Things have been quite hectic for me these last few weeks. I think I'm going to have miss out on the 8th. Seems to have come around quicker than I was expecting!
#21 Old 09-06-2008, 10:58 AM

Ah well. It seems I'm not having much meetup luck these days.

#22 Old 09-14-2008, 02:23 AM

Did you go ahead with it?

I'd be up for a future jaunt as I haven't been there for a long time. Other theme parks etc too. It'd be nice to meet some fellow veggies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page