candy sticks? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-19-2008, 11:08 AM

anyone know if they are vegan (im on about those little white ones and they come in small boxes with picss on like marvel superheroes etc)

xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

You're gonna need to be a LOT more specific.... I have no idea what you're talking about.

you could always read the label?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 07-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

The only ones I can think of are the ones that come with Fun Dip...the fun dip itself is vegan, I think, but the white candy sticks are not. But I doubt this is what you are talking about, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

those fake cigarette things?
#5 Old 07-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Banned

i know what they are!

they used to be labelled as candy cigarettes, and have a little bit of red colouring on one end, and a little collectable card inside- but somewhere along the line i'm assuming somebody thought maybe that it wasn't such a great plan to call them that any more.

me and my little bro used to faux-smoke/chew on them whenever we had pocket money, in the 80's, much to my mums distain.

i have no idea whats in them though. i'll go root about on the 'net.
#6 Old 07-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I can see those things either containing all kinds of nasty,

OR very minimal ingredients. either way. haha
#7 Old 07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

they apparently contain gelatine (these ones do, at least) so i'd go with a no- you could check the label incase yours don't though.

http://www.sweetieworld.co.uk/retro_.../candy_sticks/
#8 Old 07-19-2008, 06:28 PM

Why is this in the UK forum? I'm in the US and I know what the OP is talking about, I used to eat them when I was really little.
#9 Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Why is this in the UK forum? I'm in the US and I know what the OP is talking about, I used to eat them when I was really little.

the OP is in the UK.

i'm thinking that as a lot of other contectionary has big variations from place to place (ingredients, names, etc- think skittles and starbust, for a start), and she's talking about the ingredients for a product she buys in the UK, she thought it made sense to ask people from the same location.

if she's not been to the US and bought candysticks there, she'd have no idea whether or not they even exist there, let alone have the same name or ingredients.

but i don't think this being in the UK forum disqualifies non-UK-ers from commenting. i see some other non UK Vbers posts here.
#10 Old 07-19-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

the OP is in the UK.

I totally wasn't even thinking that ingredients are different in different countires. I was just thinking "why isn't this in the food or a veg*n section"

#11 Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, fake cigarettes?! I used to LOVE those. Why didn't the OP just say candy cigarettes? You guys are good.
#12 Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 AM

thanks for all the responses, yeah i was on about the faux cigarette things (didnt know they were/are called candy cigarettes kinda explains why kids used to pretend to be smoking whne they ate them ha), and i posted in uk because of difference in confectionary ingredients...i was kinda hoping they would be vegan but it seems animals get shoved into anything and everything.
#13 Old 07-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixks3 View Post

i was kinda hoping they would be vegan but it seems animals get shoved into anything and everything.

Yeah, it's very annoying!
#14 Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:

me and my little bro used to faux-smoke/chew on them whenever we had pocket money, in the 80's, much to my mums distain.

where i live , they stopped making them years ago cuz the government wanted to avoid promoting smoking to children.
#15 Old 07-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

where i live , they stopped making them years ago cuz the government wanted to avoid promoting smoking to children.

in the uk they just took the red bit off the end and relabelled them sticks.

i dunno... we used to protend smoke all sorts of stuff... pencils, cadburys chocolate fingers, straws from juice packs, etc.

i remember trying to persuade some kid in the park that sherbet dip powder was cocaine when i was 9 too. maybe i was just a bit of an over-imaginative ghetto kid.
#16 Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:

in the uk they just took the red bit off the end and relabelled them sticks. :

i thought i had never noticed a red bit on them
#17 Old 07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixks3 View Post

i thought i had never noticed a red bit on them

i'm nearly 30. if you're not, you probably missed it (along with bright pink legwarmers, fingermouse, and having a BBC Micro Acorn computer with the biggest floppy disc you've ever seen, and the processing power and speed of a snail on sedatives, in your classroom at school).
#18 Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:

i remember trying to persuade some kid in the park that sherbet dip powder was cocaine when i was 9 too. maybe i was just a bit of an over-imaginative ghetto kid.

ha ha, thats hard core jen !! you mustve grown up on the jasmine allen estate
#19 Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:

i'm nearly 30. if you're not, you probably missed it (along with bright pink legwarmers, fingermouse, and having a BBC Micro Acorn computer with the biggest floppy disc you've ever seen, and the processing power and speed of a snail on sedatives, in your classroom at school).

haha i'm only 18, but i remember acorns, they were hilarious, and if you pressed f4 or something the used to talk. fun times in year 5.

(sorry this has nothing to do with anything!)
#20 Old 07-23-2008, 02:02 PM

im 19 and havnt heard of half those things haha, maybe i was just too much of daydreamer kid to realize anythin going on around me in the world

xxx
#21 Old 07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I miss those HUGE floppy Discs! I remember the old Acorns with the floppy drive in the over sized keyboard. Used to have fun games on them with rabbits and the alphabet. Hmmm i wonder if i could get one on ebay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page