Vegan gnocchi? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know where (if) you can buy vegan gnocchi in the UK? I think I've bought some in the past but can't remember where. The only ones I've seen so far are the vacuum-packed ones in Sainsbury's which aren't vegan, I think one of the supermarkets might do some chilled ones that are vegan but I'm not sure.

I got hooked on them again recently on holiday in France and I've also found a really nice recipe which uses them. I'm experimenting with making them myself at the moment, but I'd like the option of something a bit less time-consuming (and to use in the recipe until my home-made ones get a bit better!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never tried gnocci but I thought it was just wheat? *Remembers to check the label next time @ store*
#3 Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

I've never tried gnocci but I thought it was just wheat? *Remembers to check the label next time @ store*

You forgot the potatoes.

Derwenna, IIRC Waitrose have gnocchi in their fridge section, together with their fresh pasta range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

O - taters. My bad. I've never had it, and assumed it was another oddly shaped wheat product.
#5 Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I just checked the Sainsbury site, and they seem to carry another brand of gnocchi apart from their own, called Italfresco. I read the ingredients page, and they appear to be OK. They have "natural flavourings" in them, but they're listed as suitable for vegetarians, and contain no dairy or egg allergy notices.
#6 Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty sure Asdas are vegan. Otherwise I've gone and read the label wrong.
#7 Old 07-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Pretty sure Tesco's are vegan?
#8 Old 07-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Banned

Gnocchi is dead easy to make at home. Its basically just mashed potatoes mixed with flour.

The trick is to get your sauce made and while its simmering, you make the gnocci. Cooking time is like 2 minutes so by the time you mix, knead and cook, its only been 20-30 minutes and dinner is ready. Here are instructions:

Gnocchi ingredients:

500g/1lb 2oz waxy potatoes such as red skins or new potatoes, peeled and diced

200g/7oz plain flour

salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make the gnocchi, boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until tender then drain.

Mash them well - this bit is important because lumps will be noticeable in the gnocchi, so use a potato ricer if you have one, or mash the potatoes thoroughly to as smooth a texture as possible.

Into the potatoes, sprinkle plenty of salt and black pepper and the flour. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, bring together to make a firm dough.

Knead the dough gently for a couple of minutes then roll out into sausages about 1cm (0.5in) thick. Cut the sausages into pieces 2.5cm(1in) long.

Gently cook the gnocchi in a pan of simmering water for a minute or two until they rise to the surface. Scoop them out as they rise, toss with the tomato sauce and rocket leaves and serve.
#9 Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Cheers for the info all, I'll get off my backside and have a look round a supermarket or two
#10 Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Pssst Mr.Falafel- You shouldn't hide this recipe from the rest of the world

Seriously, this is awesome! I've wanted to try and make gnocchi forever. I'm gonna put TnS's cashew cream sauce on it cause that would would be fantasticness. Thanks for the recipe!

Sorry about the invasion
#11 Old 07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I've wanted to try and make gnocchi forever. I'm gonna put TnS's cashew cream sauce on it cause that would would be fantasticness. Thanks for the recipe!

Check out this page on the veganyumyum blog too - a tutorial, some fantastic pictures to make you and another easy peasy (lemon) cashew cream recipe (think I need to go home now, gnocchi time)
#12 Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Another good thing is to put a couple of spoons of hummus onto hot cooked gnocchi--it melts and make an easy creamy and very tasty sauce.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#13 Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh. My. Thanks Quinoa for sharing that awesome find. I always thought it would be too hard to make gnocchi but I'm totally getting what I'll need next time I'm out. I've been told by a few people that making gnocchi is very difficult but I can do this. Fun!
#14 Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I always assumed all gnocchi wasn't vegan, i never thought to check tbh. I think it's time i went and had a look around i used to LOVE this stuff. I made it once a while ago but it did take a while and sometimes as bad as it is to admit, you just can't be bothered to cook.
#15 Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I can not find it without eggs. I've looked- a lot. We even have an allergy store and I've checked their website and they don't carry it.

Of course I'm in the states... not in the UK. I feel so sneaky in this thread lol.
#16 Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Yeah, I can not find it without eggs. I've looked- a lot. We even have an allergy store and I've checked their website and they don't carry it.

Of course I'm in the states... not in the UK. I feel so sneaky in this thread lol.

MODS!!! We have a non-Brit in this thread! Release the hounds!!!
#17 Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

MODS!!! We have a non-Brit in this thread! Release the hounds!!!

Ahhh!

*screams and runs*
#18 Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

The recipe I found was for gnocchi al forno - my veganised version of it is: place gnocchi (uncooked) in an oven-proof dish, cover with white sauce (plus herbs/Parmezano if you like), put a layer of cooked sliced mushrooms on the top and bake for about 15 minutes. Niiice . You could also add vegan bacon bits if you like them.

I'm going to persist with the home-made gnocchi, but I fancy some shop-bought ones for speed and for comparison to see if mine are any good yet! I tried making some more yesterday and found that letting the mashed potato cool down completely before making the dough with them seems to help.
#19 Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Gnocchi is dead easy to make at home. Its basically just mashed potatoes mixed with flour.

The trick is to get your sauce made and while its simmering, you make the gnocci. Cooking time is like 2 minutes so by the time you mix, knead and cook, its only been 20-30 minutes and dinner is ready. Here are instructions:

Gnocchi ingredients:

500g/1lb 2oz waxy potatoes such as red skins or new potatoes, peeled and diced

200g/7oz plain flour

salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make the gnocchi, boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until tender then drain.

Mash them well - this bit is important because lumps will be noticeable in the gnocchi, so use a potato ricer if you have one, or mash the potatoes thoroughly to as smooth a texture as possible.

Into the potatoes, sprinkle plenty of salt and black pepper and the flour. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, bring together to make a firm dough.

Knead the dough gently for a couple of minutes then roll out into sausages about 1cm (0.5in) thick. Cut the sausages into pieces 2.5cm(1in) long.

Gently cook the gnocchi in a pan of simmering water for a minute or two until they rise to the surface. Scoop them out as they rise, toss with the tomato sauce and rocket leaves and serve.

Oooh thats exactly like I recipe I have for gnocchi. I think I'll try making my own next week. I made potato cakes today, which have a similar method and they turned out great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page