Need to unload a pile of veggie cookbooks - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-02-2008, 04:58 AM
Banned

Over the years I have collected a large amount of diverse vegetarian cookbooks from various different sources. They were fun to flip through and I now have many recipes I use from them but most of them just sit on the shelf, unread. This seems to be a waste so I've decided to get rid of most of them and just keep the few I use all of the time.

Any idea of what to do with them? Happy to donate to a worthy cause or any other idea, especially if someone wants to pay postage. Just giving away to my local charity shop seems a bit of a waste...

I'll post a list of them later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Freecycle?
#3 Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I bet there would be lots of people willing to pay postage on some cookbooks. I know I would! If you have anything unique, sometimes it's a good idea to give them to your local library if they don't have anything. That way some new vegetarian can get some help. That's very nice of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentil Burger View Post

Freecycle?

Yeah, I've already freecycled a load of other books. For some reason, I'd rather give the veggie books to a 'good home'
#5 Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I bet there would be lots of people willing to pay postage on some cookbooks. I know I would! If you have anything unique, sometimes it's a good idea to give them to your local library if they don't have anything. That way some new vegetarian can get some help. That's very nice of you.

How about this: I'll post the list of books and people can PM me with requests and then send me postage in the form of Amazon gift certificates or something. How much does it cost to mail a book in the UK these days?
#6 Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea about costs but I'd be interested in paying for some of your books! Let us know what they are pls

I think you'd have to weigh the parcels before sending them, perhaps take the heaviest and ask for it to be weighed at your local post office?
#7 Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I am a huge collector of veggie cookbooks especially older ones! I'd happily pay postage or more for books depending on what they are. If you could post a list that would be great
#8 Old 07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

How about this: I'll post the list of books and people can PM me with requests and then send me postage in the form of Amazon gift certificates or something. How much does it cost to mail a book in the UK these days?

That sounds like a lovely idea I have no idea how much it costs to mail a book in the UK but I'd guess that to send it to the US it would be pricey. What a great idea!
#9 Old 07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

Wow I just counted 40+ books to hand out! Give me some time to type out the list

Shipping info is here: http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...diaId=51000711

Ok looks like £4.20 for 2kg which would be one big hardback book or two soft covers. Plus you gotta pay for the envelope. So this looks like it'd be about a fiver for 1 big book or a fiver for 2 maybe 3 books. If you want more books I'm sure shipping would be much cheaper. Make me a dea!l
#10 Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Wow I just counted 40+ books to hand out! Give me some time to type out the list

Shipping info is here: http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...diaId=51000711

Ok looks like £4.20 for 2kg which would be one big hardback book or two soft covers. Plus you gotta pay for the envelope. So this looks like it'd be about a fiver for 1 big book or a fiver for 2 maybe 3 books. If you want more books I'm sure shipping would be much cheaper. Make me a dea!l

I'd also be interested in helping you get rid of some of those cookbooks! . I think the postage seems fair.
#11 Old 07-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Banned

Below is a start on the list of books. I list out pertinent information and what the weight of the book is according to my old kitchen scale. Any order that fits in under the Post Office 2kg would still be in that price. So if one book looks good and only weighs 500gm you may as well select another 1500gm of books to go in that order for free.

Im not getting any money from this exercise, I just want the books to go to a good home. My young nephew will be doing the packaging and Post Office trips as way to earn some pocket money for summer. If you have a better, more economical idea for shipping then please let me know. Post office is just what popped into my head.

Itll be first come, first served. Once a book has been ordered, then Ill try and take it off the list as soon as I can.

The books come as is. Most are as new, but several will show signs of use, perhaps with a post-it of other recipes or even corrections written in not to mention the odd spill

The easiest way I can think of for payment is in Amazon gift certificates.

Ordering process is as follows:

1) PM me the books you want and order combination with the postage you think works.

2) Wait for my response as to if the books are still available.

3) When told, email me an Amazon gift certificate with the amount agreed with your veggie boards userid noted

Again, if anyone has any better ideas give me a shout.

Feasts From the Place Below - Bill Sewell

Very lacto-ovo book of recipes laid out over the course of seasons by the chef in charge of The Place Below restaurant in London. Very imaginative focusing on traditional and seasonal foods of Britain. 600gm

A Vegan Taste of France - Linda Majziki

Vegan versions of classic French dishes, from simple light meals to hearty rural dishes, this book brings home the flavours of France for vegans everywhere . 300gm

Vegetarian Food For Friends - Lyn Weller

UKs vegetarian society excellent show off to your friends cookbook of actually very easy to prepare dishes. Lots of photos, tips and vegan options, this is the book to show off to your omni friends 500gm

World Food Café - Chris & Carolyn Caldicott

Travel around the culinary world with the chefs owners of the famous restaurant in Londons west end. This mostly vegan cookbook lets you sample the flavours of exotic places in an easy to follow way with ingredients that are not too hard to find. If youre bored of the same old same old, this is the book for you 700gm

Chez Panisse: Vegetables - Alice Waters

This is a serious chefs hardback book of how to prepare vegetables. Its an encyclopaedia of natural ways to prepare vegetables in the most flavourful and nutritious way. A great gift for chef students or serious chefs - 1200gm

Leiths Vegetarian Bible - Polly Tyler

This is another serious chefs hardback book. If you are thinking of opening up a gourmet vegetarian restaurant or want to push your boundaries of vegetarian cooking then this is the book for you. 500 pages of exquisite recipes for the accomplished chef. 1400gm

Linda McCartneys Summer Kitchen

100 light and easy vegetarian meals focusing on quick and easy to prepare with ingredient readily available. Nothing too hard and everything comes out just like it says in the book. A great book for beginners 400gm

Cooking with Peta

One of my all time favourite cookbooks. This 1997 book is absolutely one of the best vegan cookbooks for beginners. Simple and tasty recipes using non-exotic ingredients that seem to come out perfect every time. Baking muffins, light meals and a few surprises for your omni friends. 400gm

Good Time Eatin in Cajun Country by Donna Simon

Cajun and Creole recipes for vegans: its all here: jambalaya, corn bread, dirty rice, cabbage rolls, you get the picture. Very easy recipes that are easily adaptable to family favourite recipes 300gm

World of the East Vegetarian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey

Everyone bow down to the great Madhur Jaffrey! This huge tome of recipes from India, Japan, China, Korea, Indonesia and the rest will keep the novice and expert vegetarian chef busy and intrigued for months if not years. 460 pages! 1000gm

Entertaining with Cranks by Kay Canter, Daphne Swan

One for the collectors! This 1985 hardback shows you the state of the vegetarian cooking of the day by the masters of that time. 900gm

Dakshin - Vegetarian Cuisine from South India - Chandra Padmanabhan

Tired of your local curry house or jars of Pataks spice pastes? Want to create truly authentic Indian meals at home? I actually bought this cookbook in Kerala, southern India and brought it home with me. For those with access to proper Indian spice shops, this cookbook will blow your mind with the most amazing flavours of India you can experience without being there. 500gm

Vegetarian Cookbook - Paul Gayler

Popular chef at the Lanesborough Hotel in London, shows off his culinary skills in this large, colourful, easy to follow Dorling Kindersley cookbook. Great for the amateur chef looking to expand their talents. 1200gm

National Trust Vegetarian Recipes - Sarah Edington

Travel through National Trust properties getting a few sample vegetarian recipes from each café or local specialty. Very traditional recipes in a tea and crumpets kind of way, this hardback is a great gift. 800gm

Easy Vegan Cooking by Leah Lenenman

Just exactly what it says no the tin. 350 simple vegan recipes to end that what do I have for dinner tonight misery. Most recipes have 10 ingredients or less. Lots for those cooking for one, as well. 500gm

The Millenium Cookbook by Eric Tucker and John Westerdahl

This was THE vegan cookbook for the serious chef in the 1990s and still leads the way with some of the most innovative and tasty cuisine ever. I used to eat at this restaurant in San Francisco and enjoyed creating some of the meals at home. But take note: this is for the serious chef with serious amounts of free time to create simply amazing meals 1100gm

Delicious Jamaica! Vegetarian Cuisine by Yvonne McCalla Sobers

All of the classics of Jamaican cuisine for vegetarians. This mostly vegan cookbook also acknowledges the influences of Chinese, African and middle eastern cuisine has made. Simple recipes with amazing results 400gm

The Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak

The one youve heard of, the ground breaking classic. Amazing recipes for not only vegan cheeses but cheezy dishes made without dairy. Lots of different variations of ingredients to make all sorts of amazing things. 400gm

The Voluptuous Vegan by Myra Kornfeld

The perfectly named book of 200+ sinfully delicious recipes for vegans. Spoil your family and your friends with amazing meals. 600gm

More to follow....
#12 Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned

Looks like the VB members will take up your offer . If any are over , you might like to consider your local theosophical society . They all have free libraries .
#13 Old 07-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Banned

And here's the rest...

The Tassjara Bread Book - Edward Espe Brown

25th Anniversary Edition. Another classic! The best bread making book ever. Detailed illustrations of every step of the way to make your own breads, tarts, and other baked goods. 400gm

Vegetarian Express - Rose Elliot

Fast fresh food for energy and vitality throughout the day. Glossy book of excellent speedy recipes for busy vegetarians. 600gm

Vegetarian Thai - Jackum Brown

Large sized book of classic and interesting Thai recipes with great photos. The cool thing about this book is that it shows you how to make your own proper curry pastes from scratch. 700gm

Eva Batts Vegan Cooking

Great book of classic British recipes for vegans. Simple but tasty recipes that are great for beginners or those in a hurry 300gm

Vegetarian Turkish Cooking - Robertson

Over a hunder ovo-lacto recipes based on the fresh tasting cuisine of Turkey along with a detailed description of Turkish cuisine area by area 600gm

The Bean Book - Rose Eliot

Another one for the collectors, this 1988 softback version is the 11th printing of this classic. 262 pages of amazing things to make with beans. Great for beginning chefs and those on a tight budget 300gm

The Really Useful Vegetarian Student Cookbook - Silvana Franco

Over 100 really easy and tasty mostly lacto ovo recipes for the busy and poverty stricken student. From insanely simple to more tasty dishes 200gm

The Single Vegan - Leah Leneman

More than just a recipe book for singles, this book lists out entire weekly menus with ingredients that you can use in recipes throughout the week. Also includes weekly shopping list so you can literally bring the book to the store, buy your ingredients for the week and then follow the recipes each day. Very economical. 300gm

Green World Cookbook, Demuths Restaurant - Rachel Demuth

After having lunch in this restaurant in Bath I just had to buy a copy of the restaurant cookbook. Really amazing dishes from around the world, lavishly photographed and imaginative. 700gm

Super Natural Cookery - Jim Corlett

Another one for the collectors! Turn the page back to 1974 with some seriously hippie illustrations and recipes for simple and tasty lacto ovo dishes with very basic ingredients. Hardback! 600gm

The Brown Rice Cookbook - Craig and Ann Sams

Another one for collectors: Way back in 1980 macrobiotic cooking was the new thing and this book caters to that. 125 pages of amazing things to do with brown rice - this seems to be a proofreaders copy as its notated but still very usable. 200gm

Friends of the Earth Cookbook - Veronica Sekukes

From 1981 - this is just about the most hippie cookbook Ive ever seen, and I mean that in a good way. Everything you need for a hippie commune, from winemaking, bread baking, meals from your garden or plants found in the wild to food preserving and more. 300gm

The Magic Bean - Anna Roberts

Ever wondered what to do with those bags of soya mince, soya chunks, TVP, and soyamix you find at Holland and Barrett? This is a great introduction to cooking with TVP. From 1985, the recipes are simple tasty and the book only weighs 200gm

Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian

150 easy and tasty vegetarian recipes with the weight watchers points all listed out for you 500gm

Vegetarian Cooking Caribbean Style - Annette Norma Weekes

Very well laid out book of classic Caribbean dishes and drinks to recreate those excellent flavours in your own home. 160 pages 500gm

Japanese Cooking Contemporary & Traditional - Miyoko Nishimoto Schinner

Think Japanese food is all about sushi and rice dishes? Think again. This all vegan cookbook is bursting with excellent meal ideas that are actually simple to prepare. The ingredient glossary is worth the price of the book but The Tofu Steak is amazing as well 400gm

Incredibly Delicious: The Vegan Paradigm Cookbook

Huge magazine sized book with 300 pages of simple and tasty recipes for the health conscious. Also a large raw section and pages of resource links and explanations of vegan ideology 900gm

More Soy Cooking: Healthful Renditions of Classic Traditional Meals - Marie Oser

300 pages of vegan versions of meals your mom made but using faux meats. While this is a very American cookbook, British versions of the ingredients listed can be found quite easily 700gm

A Vegan Taste of North Africa - Linda Majzlik

Create your own North African feasts from starters, to salads, to entrees to condiments and drinks with this fascinating book 300gm

A Vegan Taste of Easter Europe - Linda Majzlik

Borscht and boiled cabbage? Try the stuffed pancakes with some shopska in this book and introduce yourself to the glory of the east 300gm

Indian Vegetarian Cookery - Jack Santa Maria

1982s answer to making authentic Indian cuisine available to westerners. 172 pages packed with simple yet exotic dishes from all regions of India 400gm

The Joy of Vegan Cookery - Amanda Grant

A very well laid out cookbook with tasty and easy recipes with clearly laid out steps, cooking times and nutritional information. Great book for beginners. 400gm

Linda McCartney on Tour

Easy and tasty recipes from around the world. Hardback, lots of photos and great inspirational recipes to get you excited about the cuisine from far off regions all in one book. Another good one for the beginners 1100gm
#14 Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Mr. F.

Maybe I should have PMed you but thought these might be a questions several people had...

Would you ship to the US if we were willing to figure prices and such?

And also, are there any of these that just use European cooking terms/measurements (sorry I don't know the correct term)?

I recognise plenty of these because I own them as well, so I know there are some with "American" cooking terms and measurements, just curious which ones I might have to convert, (which isn't hard to do).

You do have a great collection and what a great way to share with fellow veggies!!
#15 Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, what an amazing collection you have! I too am curious about how far you'd be willing to ship. I'd of course be willing to calculate that too but I have no idea how I'd go about doing that. I see so many books that would love to be here at my house
#16 Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

I'm happy to ship anywhere anyone wants to pay for. I just think it may be a bit pricey compared to buying it new locally. But check out the Post Office link earlier in the thread and try to figure out the costs then PM me with what you want.

Most of the cookbooks are very uniform with measurements in standard American measurements but a couple of the older UK books just use weights which are easy for everyone. If you have any questions about specific books ask away.
#17 Old 07-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a flat rate international box that will ship for $37 with 20lbs or less. I haven't been able to find the actual dimensions of this box but if it can hold 3 or 4 cookbooks, that's a pretty good deal. I found the info here. I'm still looking though
#18 Old 07-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

There's a flat rate international box that will ship for $37 with 20lbs or less. I haven't been able to find the actual dimensions of this box but if it can hold 3 or 4 cookbooks, that's a pretty good deal. I found the info here. I'm still looking though

Beachbnny, MrFalafel will be posting the books from the UK, not the US . This is the site you need. Make sure you select "printed paper" instead of "small packet", as printed paper (such as books) is exempt of tax.
#19 Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

Beachbnny, MrFalafel will be posting the books from the UK, not the US . This is the site you need. Make sure you select "printed paper" instead of "small packet", as printed paper (such as books) is exempt of tax.

I thought I had selected from UK to here but I guess I was wrong I'm probably out of this, unfortunately. It looks like it would cost me too much to be worth it. I was really excited too! Good luck Mr.F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page