Vegan meal for £2.50 per person for ten people? (Also chance to encourage veganism) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

(It's in the U.K. bit so I don't get confused about the ingredients due to the different names for stuff).

O.K. basically at the place I now live, they have a "healthy" eating class every so often. I've suggested one week where the food is all vegan but I have no idea what to cook. It has to be "healthy" (not too much fat or sugar) and made pretty much from scratch, though tins can be used.

Does anyone have any recipes? They need to be appealing to meat-eaters (so no salads etc.) but tis fine to use tofu or weird-named stuff cus not many people who live here (it's sort of similar to a hostel) have heard of that stuff so don't have negative ideas of it in their minds (eg. "eww, tofu is horrible vegan stuff" or "soya milk tastes disgusting"). Also need list of all utensils etc. that will be needed (EVERYTHING that will be needed). Tesco and a small Co-op are the only supermarkets nearby, plus a small health food shop.

Would also be helpful if you could provide the rough prices of the ingredients. The total cost for all ingredients needs to be no more than £25 (not a penny extra). If it can be done for a total of a tenner instead then even better.

So any ideas? If you could add them before this Friday then that would be brill. Thanks peoples! (P.S. There's at least one guy here who doesn't like spicy food)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Lentil Dahl with basmatti rice, can easily make this on mass for very little money. Plus you can spice it up a bit with some extras like popadoms of home made chutney or something.

Rice is what a £1 a bag? Red Lentils under a £1 a bag, and a jar of vegan curry paste. An onion and some garlic.

Bean farmers pie, kind of like shepherds pie.

Couple of tins of kidney beans, couple of tins of chick peas, couple of carrots, an onion, some garlic, mixed herbs, some potatoes, tomato paste.

Risotto with baked tofu, or with salad.

Risotto rice, onion, garlic, mixed vegetables (peppers, red onion, leaks, mushrooms, baby corn whatever you feel like, Rocket or spinach) firm tofu and tamarri/soy sauce. Pine nuts to toast and top with.

Salad leaves and tomato

Those are a few of my on mass suggestions that shouldn't cost too much to produce.

How about making a vegan cheese cake though with the tofu and cream cheese that could be a bit pricy and possibly time consuming. How about making pancakes and serving with melted vegan chocolate and fresh strawberries or making a vegan chocolate cake? Or flapjacks. I Suggest making some kind of desert just because when people think vegan they never think we eat anything remotely sweet or interesting.

Flapjacks would be cheap, as would chocolate cake, cocoa, flower, sugar, marg, water, and you're there, simple.

If you want any more info let me know.
#3 Old 07-02-2008, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Lentil Dahl with basmatti rice, can easily make this on mass for very little money. Plus you can spice it up a bit with some extras like popadoms of home made chutney or something.

Rice is what a £1 a bag? Red Lentils under a £1 a bag, and a jar of vegan curry paste. An onion and some garlic.

Bean farmers pie, kind of like shepherds pie.

Couple of tins of kidney beans, couple of tins of chick peas, couple of carrots, an onion, some garlic, mixed herbs, some potatoes, tomato paste.

Risotto with baked tofu, or with salad.

Risotto rice, onion, garlic, mixed vegetables (peppers, red onion, leaks, mushrooms, baby corn whatever you feel like, Rocket or spinach) firm tofu and tamarri/soy sauce. Pine nuts to toast and top with.

Salad leaves and tomato

Those are a few of my on mass suggestions that shouldn't cost too much to produce.

How about making a vegan cheese cake though with the tofu and cream cheese that could be a bit pricy and possibly time consuming. How about making pancakes and serving with melted vegan chocolate and fresh strawberries or making a vegan chocolate cake? Or flapjacks. I Suggest making some kind of desert just because when people think vegan they never think we eat anything remotely sweet or interesting.

Flapjacks would be cheap, as would chocolate cake, cocoa, flower, sugar, marg, water, and you're there, simple.

If you want any more info let me know.

Thanks, most seem good though it can't be too expensive (due to max. budget of £25 from the people running the initiative) and depends what you mean by time-consuming (some of the people who live here are 16 or not much older so I'm not sure how easily they'd get bored). Oh and people here made a thing with lentils last night but nobody like the lentils.

But anyway, do you buy any chance have the full recipes of Bean farmers pie, Risotto with baked tofu (nobody here is likely to eat the salad I reckon), and one or more of the sweet suggestions if they're "healthy" (low fat and low sugar), with the amounts needed and what needs to be done to the ingredients (eg. sliced, chopped, diced, etc.)? If it's a recipe for one person I'll just times all the weights and numbers of ingredients by ten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe this brochure published by the Vegan Society is helpful too:

Vegan Catering For All

general info, also on marketing vegan dishes (which in a way is your intent too I guess), and some recipes

There are also countless recipes online and quite a few on VB.

Regarding prices of ingredients, Id say check the prices of some staples (rice and other grains, beans/legumes, seasonal vegetables) at your local grocery discounter or market beforehand (if there are any ethnic grocery stores in your neighbourhood, they often sell rice/legumes in larger quantity bags at reasonable prices, not sure if this is the same in England though), so that you can calculate the total cost roughly before deciding for a particular recipe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page