Anyone awake? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

If so, any suggestions as for what to buy when I go Sainsbury's later? Obviously it's a bank holiday so most shops will probably be closed and I don't feel like going to loads of others anyway (though I'll get my soya milk from Tesco if it's open since the Sainsbury's one at the same price aint got calcium and vitamins added).

I feel like actually treating my body properly and doing some proper cooking, but I'm also up for healthy raw food suggestions

EDIT: I wanna do some proper shopping for stuff that I can use for different meals, so meal suggestions would be good too. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2008, 02:34 AM

Rice, bean, fruit, veg...

Are you thinking of Sainsbury-specific products, or just food in general?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 05-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Rice, bean, fruit, veg...

Are you thinking of Sainsbury-specific products, or just food in general?

In general
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 AM

Ah well, let's see then (it's a slow morning here). The things most always in our pantry:

Dried lentils, red and green

Dried chickpeas

Dried black beans

an assortment of other dried stuff...yellow peas, adzuki beans, mung beans, flageolet beans (though I think these are kinda gross)

Brown rice

pudding/sushi/short grain rice

whole grain or spelt spaghetti

other whole grain pasta

whole wheat macaroni

whole grain couscous

pita bread

other "sandwich" bread (right now, it's Vogel's soya and linseed loaf...yum)

variety of nuts/seeds, almonds are always in there

raisins

canned tomatoes

peanut butter

canned corn

sundried tomatoes

seasalt

spices (used frequently are rosemary, garlic, basil, oregano, marjoram, red chilies, cinnamon, nutmeg)

apples

avocados

pears

strawberries

mango

banana

carrots

large leaf lettuce

little gem lettuce

courgettes/zucchini

aubergine

cherry tomatoes

broccoli

red and yellow peppers

red cabbage

red onion

potatoes

condiments: ketchup, salsa, BBQ sauce, mustard, soya sauce, liquid aminos

Tofu (TofuPot if it comes with the veg delivery, or TaiFun, if I buy it at the store)

black olives

SojaSun soya yogurt

Sojade soya milk

hummus

Frequent visitors:

Udon noodles, cream Sheese, cauliflower, blueberries, Sainsbury/Somerfield pizza crust mix, Swedish Glace, frozen peas, LM sausages, orange juice, clementines (when we can find them), Oatly, Alpro yogurts, spinach, frozen spinach, kale, apple-mango juice (oh my sweet Moses, this stuff is good), Pure spread, no-sugar strawberry jam

Okay, that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I'm trying to visualize what's in our kitchen cupboards.

Things I like from Sainsburys in particular: pizza crust mix, a nice vegan chocolate bar, yummy organic hummus, vegan bagels (in the bakery), purple/black grapes, some vegan tortillas, and for some reason, they seem to have the best peppers. A whole bunch of their personal care items are vegan too!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ah well, let's see then (it's a slow morning here). The things most always in our pantry:

Dried lentils, red and green

Dried chickpeas

Dried black beans

an assortment of other dried stuff...yellow peas, adzuki beans, mung beans, flageolet beans (though I think these are kinda gross)

Brown rice

pudding/sushi/short grain rice

whole grain or spelt spaghetti

other whole grain pasta

whole wheat macaroni

whole grain couscous

pita bread

other "sandwich" bread (right now, it's Vogel's soya and linseed loaf...yum)

variety of nuts/seeds, almonds are always in there

raisins

canned tomatoes

peanut butter

canned corn

sundried tomatoes

seasalt

spices (used frequently are rosemary, garlic, basil, oregano, marjoram, red chilies, cinnamon, nutmeg)

apples

avocados

pears

strawberries

mango

banana

carrots

large leaf lettuce

little gem lettuce

courgettes/zucchini

aubergine

cherry tomatoes

broccoli

red and yellow peppers

red cabbage

red onion

potatoes

condiments: ketchup, salsa, BBQ sauce, mustard, soya sauce, liquid aminos

Tofu (TofuPot if it comes with the veg delivery, or TaiFun, if I buy it at the store)

black olives

SojaSun soya yogurt

Sojade soya milk

hummus

Frequent visitors:

Udon noodles, cream Sheese, cauliflower, blueberries, Sainsbury/Somerfield pizza crust mix, Swedish Glace, frozen peas, LM sausages, orange juice, clementines (when we can find them), Oatly, Alpro yogurts, spinach, frozen spinach, kale, apple-mango juice (oh my sweet Moses, this stuff is good), Pure spread, no-sugar strawberry jam

Okay, that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I'm trying to visualize what's in our kitchen cupboards.

Things I like from Sainsburys in particular: pizza crust mix, a nice vegan chocolate bar, yummy organic hummus, vegan bagels (in the bakery), purple/black grapes, some vegan tortillas, and for some reason, they seem to have the best peppers. A whole bunch of their personal care items are vegan too!

Well it costed a lot but I got (along with a trolley cus it was too much to carry - I'll return it eventually): Vegetable burgers, bread, bread rolls, ketchup, oranges, apples, kiwi fruits, mixed frozen veg, frozen green beans, onion rings, LM sausages, tinned beans, tinned vegetable soup, tinned spaghetti, tinned chopped tomatoes, instant mash mix, yoghurts, tin foil, tofu though I don't know how to use it, turmeric, Pure (sunflower), crisps, blackberry jam, rice pops (cheapo rice crispies I guess), and I can't think what else (already got pasta and rice and Scheese in). I meant to go Tesco for the soya milk but forgot.
#6 Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM

Sounds like a good haul. What kind of tofu did you get? Maybe you can get some ideas in the Recipes Forum.

It's possible that you didn't forget to go to Tesco to get the soyamilk because you subconciously remembered that they are an evil store. (just saying ) How much cheaper is the milk anyway?

#7 Old 05-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

Well it costed a lot but I got (along with a trolley cus it was too much to carry - I'll return it eventually): Vegetable burgers, bread, bread rolls, ketchup, oranges, apples, kiwi fruits, mixed frozen veg, frozen green beans, onion rings, LM sausages, tinned beans, tinned vegetable soup, tinned spaghetti, tinned chopped tomatoes, instant mash mix, yoghurts, tin foil, tofu though I don't know how to use it, turmeric, Pure (sunflower), crisps, blackberry jam, rice pops (cheapo rice crispies I guess), and I can't think what else (already got pasta and rice and Scheese in). I meant to go Tesco for the soya milk but forgot.

VEGAN INSTANT MASH?! WHERE!!!!!?
#8 Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

VEGAN INSTANT MASH?! WHERE!!!!!?

Sainsbury's. The Sainsbury's Basics version. Doesn't taste very good but adding some salt makes a massive difference. I'me sure Co-op also do one that tastes better but costs more.
#9 Old 05-28-2008, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

Sainsbury's. The Sainsbury's Basics version. Doesn't taste very good but adding some salt makes a massive difference. I'me sure Co-op also do one that tastes better but costs more.

aww I dont live near a sainsburys or a coop. If I ever go past one I'll pop in just for mash! I'd be adding loads of garlic to it I think haha.

I once tried making mash from canned potatoes (was only thing I could find after making my then boyfriend drive around town looking for a 24h shop on a sunday night because I wanted mash that bad, haha. no i wasnt preggers).... NEVER make mash from canned potatoes! Its like mashed salt. gag.
#10 Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM

Is instant mash intrinsically different than mashed potatoes? (stupid American moment)

I mean, I make "mash" in about 20 minutes...wash/peel/cube/boil potatoes, then add some soyamilk, salt and margarine. Bing, bang, boom. (or bish, bash, bosh, if you prefer )

#11 Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Is instant mash intrinsically different than mashed potatoes? (stupid American moment)

I mean, I make "mash" in about 20 minutes...wash/peel/cube/boil potatoes, then add some soyamilk, salt and margarine. Bing, bang, boom. (or bish, bash, bosh, if you prefer )

That's what you call "instant"?

Instant mash takes the time it takes to boil a kettle and add salt/marg etc. Few minutes. You just boil the water (or water and milk or whatever), pour it in a bowl, quickly add the instant mash while stirring with a fork, and add what you want to it.
#12 Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 AM

Now, I didn't say that it was "instant". I just wondered if it tasted differently as well, or if the issue was just one of time/preparation.

#13 Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Americans have instanted mashed potatoes, too.

-runs out of the UK thread-
#14 Old 05-28-2008, 12:14 PM

Heh. Yeah. My mom occasionally had those brown-box instant-spuds or whatever they were called.

#15 Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

Now, I didn't say that it was "instant". I just wondered if it tasted differently as well, or if the issue was just one of time/preparation.

when served with economy baked beans it tastes like the satisfaction of making your own food while drunk, and conjures memories of the love of a harrassed and overworked mother, combined with undertones of wallpaperpaste and margarine. the 'smash' type pebbles are slightly better than the flakes. i used to eat smash dry from the packet on occasion. i don't think its vegan though.
#16 Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I like watching it all foof up. Its magic!!!

Doesnt taste anywhere as good as real mash (Im apparently a weirdo for leaving the skins on) but its easier.

Potatoes are heavy too and take up loads of room which isn't good when you have to walk to the shops and back =( (im not rubbish i have neck and shoulder problems) I never buy them really unless I fancy a jacket potato then its just 1 or 2.

+ no smash isnt vegan its got milk in it! Aunt bessie does mashed potato in frozen discs. thats just weeirrdddd
#17 Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

the foofing up was my favourite bit too.

i can't beleive they put milk in smash. i don't remember it being there when i was a sprog. grrr.

the main problem with instant mash is that if you're not technically minded (or just a rebel and prone to throwing caution to the wind and not using a measuring jug for the water) it can all go horribly wrong and you can end up with a giant mash-mountain, or a bowl of watery slop and no more mash powder to fix it with.

its good for making beanburgers with though. holds stuff together and thickens it up pronto. and if you put ketchup in it you get groovy tangy pink mash too.
#18 Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Ooh..I'm so going to do that with my mashed taters next time, now. (although, mostly just to freak out the man and see what he does with pink food )

I'm going to have to stop by Sainsbury now to get some of this magical "foofy" mash. Heh.

#19 Old 05-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I like instant mash. It's nice and warm and goes well with cups of tea. I get mine from Netto - 16p a box! I don't measure the water, but then I don't make it like the instructions say, I put the potato in a bowl, add margarine and boiling water and stir until it looks right. Instant mash with instant gravy poured over it is good too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page