Anybody watch Eurovision? :D - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 05-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tablaqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 560
Yes, i know it's a silly show, what can i say, I have a lot of gay friends!

I was really disappointed still though that the UK did so badly, it was actually a fairly good song, a LOT better than Spain or France, those were really embarrassingly bad.

I was pleased that Dima Bilan won though but only because i like him.

Unlike our entry though, he's really a huge star in his own country.

I did get annoyed at Terry Wogan's snarky remarks during Goran Bregovic's performance though, he's not just some Serb they found somewhere, he is a well respected composer and musician, has worked on lots of film soundtracks and has loads of fans around the world (including me, that's why i got annoyed! I wanted to listen to him properly!!!). Oh well...
Tablaqueen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 05-25-2008, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,204
I saw the begining, probably watch the rest on iplayer. I thought our song was a bit crap, he could hardly be heard and it just wasn't entertaining, well his ill-fitting suit was .
Fona is offline  
#3 Old 05-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
I saw it! I have to say i only watch it for Terry Wogans entertaining comments, the music is too poor to listen to. Our entry was utter rubbish i'm surprised it did as well as it did.
vheogl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,204
Yeah, I love his comments about the other entries. Did we get more points last year for flying the flag? That song was great!
Fona is offline  
#5 Old 05-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Vegan Police Officer
 
Diana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

Yes, i know it's a silly show, what can i say, I have a lot of gay friends!



What does that mean, exactly???



(There's already a thread somewhere on the Eurovision contest.)
Diana is offline  
#6 Old 05-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
I was a bit bummed Russia won, I wonder if any country outside the Eastern block will win from now on? I thought France's entry was hilarious.



Thought Terry Wogan was a bit daft for comparing Plyushchenko to Michael Flatley though! The former is only the most famous ice skater in the world after all
thalestral is offline  
#7 Old 05-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Ex-*****
 
Indian Summer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 5,391
We watched it! Tablequeen, how dare you say Spain's contribution was bad?! It was my favourite, and we even called in to vote for it! France's contribution was cool too. Nothing embarrassing about it whatsoever.



That Russia won is a testament to the evils of block voting and the bad taste in music prevalent in certain parts of Europe. I did like the ice skater/dancer though, that was the only mitigating feature of that entry.



I thought the commentary by Terry Wogan was pretty funny. (Except sometimes his jokes were just too British to understand for a recent immigrant like myself.)

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Indian Summer is offline  
#8 Old 05-25-2008, 11:34 AM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Spain was awesome! I think I liked them more because they caused distress to ol' Terry, who kept complaining that it not really a music contest anymore. My favorite though = the Latvian pirates, though I missed some of their performance.



I though Greece was going to sneak out a win. Hot girl, hot dancers, catchy tune...how can that lose to a pseudo-artistic ice skater, a kneeling violinist and a drama queen ripping his shirt off. Blech.



All in all, I think it's pretty good, harmless fun.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#9 Old 05-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tablaqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

I was a bit bummed Russia won, I wonder if any country outside the Eastern block will win from now on? I thought France's entry was hilarious.



Thought Terry Wogan was a bit daft for comparing Plyushchenko to Michael Flatley though! The former is only the most famous ice skater in the world after all

Yes, that was a bit silly that he didn't even mention that it WAS Plyushenko!

I like Dima Bilan (partly because I love the fact he's a gay Caucasian boy who has done incredibly well in a country where homophobia reigns supreme and people from the Caucasus are called 'black arses', hee hee), so I'm glad he won for that reason alone, really.

I do think Terry Wogan is generally quite amusing but i was upset about the way he talked about Goran Bregovic though, because it's not like he's just some Serb they pulled out of a hat, he's an internationally known composer and musician, well respected and very talented, and he wasn't one of the entrants, after all, but just performing.

Oh yeah and a friend of mine just reminded me, Bosnia's effort was dreadful too.
Tablaqueen is offline  
#10 Old 05-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

Yes, that was a bit silly that he didn't even mention that it WAS Plyushenko!

I like Dima Bilan (partly because I love the fact he's a gay Caucasian boy who has done incredibly well in a country where homophobia reigns supreme and people from the Caucasus are called 'black arses', hee hee), so I'm glad he won for that reason alone, really.

I do think Terry Wogan is generally quite amusing but i was upset about the way he talked about Goran Bregovic though, because it's not like he's just some Serb they pulled out of a hat, he's an internationally known composer and musician, well respected and very talented, and he wasn't one of the entrants, after all, but just performing.

Oh yeah and a friend of mine just reminded me, Bosnia's effort was dreadful too.



Bosnia was my favorite entry! I was actually just about to look it up so i could download it. But then again my musical taste can be pretty poor at times. The Latvian pirates were way up there too. Oh and Bjorn from Sweden needs an extra special mention for his entertaining reading of the swedish voting.
vheogl is offline  
#11 Old 05-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Ex-*****
 
Indian Summer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Oh and Bjorn from Sweden needs an extra special mention for his entertaining reading of the swedish voting.


I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Indian Summer is offline  
#12 Old 05-25-2008, 03:04 PM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Iiiiiiiceeeeland.



What a goober.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#13 Old 05-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
go_vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 207
I didn't watch it, never been a fan really.

However it really is now a politcal vote scam, even if we had Shirley Bassey as the UK singer we would still come last.



They were discussing Eurovision on the radio yesterday and saying that the UK should pull out and I agreed, becuase we pump a lot of money into it apparently and it's obvious that the votes are political. Even if the tv companies say that on average 16million people + watch it in the Uk!!!!!



However you just have to remind yourself there are more important issues in the world lol.
go_vegan is offline  
#14 Old 05-26-2008, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular
 
LionSpirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

What does that mean, exactly???



(There's already a thread somewhere on the Eurovision contest.)



It means, I presume: 1. A lot of camp gay friends and 2. that only girls and camp gay men watch Eurovision
LionSpirit is offline  
#15 Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
I don't know that the UK should pull out but we definitely should stop contributing money (public money?) towards it. I'd watch it just as happily even if we had to qualify and didn't make it... perhaps more happily!
thalestral is offline  
#16 Old 05-26-2008, 06:45 AM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Do you know how public money is contributed? Does the government sponsor the auditions or something?



Also, if it were not an obscenely large amount of money, it may be worth it, just because of the joy of the event. If 16 million people watched it in the UK, there must be some fans.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#17 Old 05-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
The BBC is the one that puts funding towards the contest, that money of course coming from the public via the license fee



The contribution is reportedly £173,000 to enter and broadcast the live final.
thalestral is offline  
#18 Old 05-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Pirate Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London
Posts: 2,950
£173,000 isnt that bad. I was expecting it to be like a million haha. and i wouldve thought itd be the licence fee too



maybe they could do it as pay per view to get money or something
Pirate Ferret is offline  
#19 Old 05-27-2008, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,211
Our entry was bland, but done well. It certainly didn't deserve to be bottom.



Spain's entry, on the other hand, I actually liked. To me, that's whateurovisionshould be about: Crap music.
Loki is offline  
#20 Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
*Star*Lass*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,360
I didn't like our entry, and thought it deserved to be near the bottom.



My fave was Iceland! and i also liked Turkey. Russia was ok, but wasn't it written by Timbaland? Bit of an advantage there.



I'm tempted to say i hope we drop out altogether. But, it wouldn't be the same without the UK there. I'd still watch it i guess..... watch it every year! Eeek!
*Star*Lass* is offline  
#21 Old 05-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,160
I watched for the first time last year when I didn't know about the Eastern bloc votes and just how political it was. It really annoyed me that the result is zilch to do with talent and all to do with politics, so I swore never to watch it again. I did watch X Factor though and Andy Abrahams was always bland and uninspiring. I'm not surprised we didn't do well.
Earthling is offline  
#22 Old 05-28-2008, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tablaqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 560
I was amazed to hear it mentioned on CBC radio from Canada last night (I still listen to the CBC sometimes on the Internet). When I was living in Canada, it never got a mention there at all - I only knew about it because of my European penpals!
Tablaqueen is offline  
#23 Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
[youtube]Z28STzFIFBU[/youtube]



thalestral is offline  
#24 Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Newbie
 
richb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

I watched for the first time last year when I didn't know about the Eastern bloc votes and just how political it was. It really annoyed me that the result is zilch to do with talent and all to do with politics, so I swore never to watch it again. I did watch X Factor though and Andy Abrahams was always bland and uninspiring. I'm not surprised we didn't do well.



The Eurovision has been completely political for years, everyone always votes for their mates, there was even an article in the Mirror online this week claiming that everyone hates us because we came last in the Eurovision.



The thing is it gets taken quite seriously in some parts of Europe, when I was with my ex, her mother came over from Cyprus and couldn't understand why we wouldn't take it seriously and thought it was naff.
richb is offline  
#25 Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 PM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
As Terry said, "thank Heaven for Ireland"



I commented to IS that I find the whole Balkan bloc-voting thing quite funny, giving the area's proclivity to ethnic uber-pride.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#26 Old 05-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tablaqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 560
Was reading pop***** today (really silly email gossip thing but it's amusing!).

I laughed out loud at their advice for gays visiting Eurovision next year in Moscow (since there can be no doubt that a large proportion of Eurovision fans ARE gay men and NOT just camp ones, i might add...and Moscow's darn dangerous for gays):

This was their bit of advice:

Amusing thing to remember

If you are getting beaten up by Russia's

especially violent elite gay-bashing force

they have their organisation name on the

back of their uniforms. If you catch sight

of it in the mirror it spells “HOMO”.

It's TRUE!!! The riot police are called the OMON, which in Cyrillic of course is ОМОН (stands for отряд милиции особого назначения, of course!). Hee hee! I giggled out loud when I read that...
Tablaqueen is offline  
#27 Old 06-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Newbie
 
beanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 39
Eurovision is my favorite time of the year! =D i love the colourful / camp / cheesyness / flamboyant nature of it all! Us Aussie's love it here, a few of the Uni's, bars and nightclubs were even holding massive parties broadcasting it live.



Russia? I was in fits of uncontrolable laughter when he ripped of his shirt. The iceskater guy was ridiculously annoying. I wanted to swat him one.

Greece had a great entry (My familia resides from Greece, thus much respect towards the mother country..haha)

Spain was the worst. *cringe* worst performance i've ever seen. Did you see his hairdoo? lol

But Israel was my fave, so should of won!
beanie is offline  
#28 Old 06-01-2008, 03:34 PM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one who snorted with the drama of the ripped shirt and the psuedo-artistic ice "skater".



<<loved every minute.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#29 Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tablaqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 560
Now Wogan's saying the Eastern bloc countries didn't vote because our guy was black...! Having lived in 4 of them, I can confirm that racism is widespread and not much is done about it, (believe me, if you are black you do NOT want to go to Russia or Poland on holiday...), but hey, it's not only the eastern countries that didn't vote for us! oh well...
Tablaqueen is offline  
#30 Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Lentil Burger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 857
I was forced to watch it by a "friend". Wogan was painful.
Lentil Burger is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off