How can I get enough money to do this important thing? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I want to become Prime Minister, but I don't want to get companies to help me if they're either cruel or are going to decide the policies for me (as seems to happen with the "Big 3" political parties)... so how can I make enough money to advertise enough to have a fair chance of winning the next election? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Become a pirate. I've always wanted to be a pirate.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 04-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Become a pirate. I've always wanted to be a pirate.

Thanks for your very serious and helpful reply

Here's mine: http://www.venganza.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'd vote for a pirate. And, as things go, there are more pirates* today than prime ministers so you definitely have a better chance of being the former than the latter. Although, of course, to be both would be a coup to be remembered.

*A member of the crew of a ship that does not possess a commission from a sovereign nation. A ship or a member of the crew of a ship that is not registered (commissioned) with any sovereign nation. More of them out there than you'd think.

ETA: That's not even taking into account software, music, video and game piracy! Just piracy on the high seas.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 04-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I'd vote for a pirate. And, as things go, there are more pirates* today than prime ministers so you definitely have a better chance of being the former than the latter. Although, of course, to be both would be a coup to be remembered.

*A member of the crew of a ship that does not possess a commission from a sovereign nation. A ship or a member of the crew of a ship that is not registered (commissioned) with any sovereign nation. More of them out there than you'd think.

ETA: That's not even taking into account software, music, video and game piracy! Just piracy on the high seas.

If I can afford to advertise as much as the Big Three parties, then I'll have just as good a chance (if not better) of being elected as them.
#6 Old 05-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

I want to become Prime Minister, but I don't want to get companies to help me if they're either cruel or are going to decide the policies for me (as seems to happen with the "Big 3" political parties)... so how can I make enough money to advertise enough to have a fair chance of winning the next election? Any ideas?

You raise money by the subscriptions and donations of party members and supporters, as all the other parties do. And/or by approaching ethically sound companies for donations.
#7 Old 05-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If I can afford to advertise as much as the Big Three parties, then I'll have just as good a chance (if not better) of being elected as them.

No you won't.
#8 Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentil Burger View Post

No you won't.

Yes I will.
#9 Old 05-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes I will.

Oh no you won't.

Seriously... do you think money is the only thing governing your chances of getting elected? Then there's the minor detail that we don't actually elect prime ministers in this country... we elect MPs. To become Prime Minister, you have to be able to command a parliamentary majority and be invited to form a government by the monarch.
#10 Old 05-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

To become Prime Minister, you have to be able to command a parliamentary majority and be invited to form a government by the monarch.

You have butterflies inviting people to form governments in your country?
#11 Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh no you won't.

Seriously... do you think money is the only thing governing your chances of getting elected? Then there's the minor detail that we don't actually elect prime ministers in this country... we elect MPs. To become Prime Minister, you have to be able to command a parliamentary majority and be invited to form a government by the monarch.

woo pantomime!

Oh yes I will

No, I don't think money is the only thing governing my chances of getting elected. But it certainly helps - it allows for more publicity so more chance of voters. Of course it's important to have a decent set of policies too.

We may not in legal terms elect a Prime Minister but we elect a political party based on what the leader of that party is telling us - then when the party wins, that leader is usually the Prime Minister.

I can't remember who off the top of my head but I'm sure there was one Prime Minister who didn't have a parliamentary majority... this did make it difficult for some laws to get through, but it would be counter-productive to the other parties if they kept blocking laws for no reason other than they didn't like the main party. In addition, some people already want to be part of my political party and I intend to get more people. The invitation to become a government is basically just procedure now, as many years ago the rights of parliament over the moarch were asserted. If a certain party is voted for by enough of the population, they will become the new government. Theoretically the Queen could use her royal prerogative to prevent those elected from becoming a new government, but that's highly unlikely. It's like the right to refuse Royal Assent to a law (making it unenforcable) - the right has never been formally removed, but it's now seen as simply a procedure and hasn't been used for a long, long time.
#12 Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We may not in legal terms elect a Prime Minister but we elect a political party based on what the leader of that party is telling us - then when the party wins, that leader is usually the Prime Minister.

I know. But my point is, you haven't got a party. You're talking about becoming PM - without a party, it can't be done.

Quote:
I can't remember who off the top of my head but I'm sure there was one Prime Minister who didn't have a parliamentary majority...

That's always a possibility. In a hung parliament, no single party commands a majority. Traditionally, two parties form a coalition government, and the leader of the larger party becomes PM, granting cabinet seats to members of the smaller party. However, if no two parties can reach agreement, then one of two things take place - the leader of the larger party will be invited to form a minority government, or parliament will be dissolved and another election held.
#13 Old 05-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

How many parliamentary candidates do you expect to have standing in the next General Election?
#14 Old 05-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know. But my point is, you haven't got a party. You're talking about becoming PM - without a party, it can't be done...

I'm going to have a party formed though.
#15 Old 05-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm going to have a party formed though.

Which brings us back to your earlier assertion:

Quote:

Money alone does not determine your chance of becoming elected. Many political parties have fielded candidates across the entire country with zero electoral success. What leads you to believe that your attempt will be any different?
#16 Old 05-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The Labour Party was formed in 1893 and didn't win a General Election until 1945. The Liberals haven't won one since 1916. No other party outside of the "Big Three" has ever come close, despite the abundance of fringe parties currently and in the past. Why then, do you consider that you have "just as good a chance (if not better) of being elected", when you don't even have a party; you have no members; and only a rough draft of a partial manifesto with no clear indication of how you'd implement your policies?

What experience and political credentials do you have that you could be the next Prime Minister and lead this country in two years time?
#17 Old 05-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Which brings us back to your earlier assertion:

Money alone does not determine your chance of becoming elected. Many political parties have fielded candidates across the entire country with zero electoral success. What leads you to believe that your attempt will be any different?

Because money is a factor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think people want a Prime Minister who actually cares about making the country better, and who hasn't lied several times already to the public. A number of small parties seem to meet this criteria but don't have the money to advertise enough apparently, so people see mostly adverts from the Big 3 and vote for one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFreddy'sCat View Post

The Labour Party was formed in 1893 and didn't win a General Election until 1945. The Liberals haven't won one since 1916. No other party outside of the "Big Three" has ever come close, despite the abundance of fringe parties currently and in the past. Why then, do you consider that you have "just as good a chance (if not better) of being elected", when you don't even have a party; you have no members; and only a rough draft of a partial manifesto with no clear indication of how you'd implement your policies?

What experience and political credentials do you have that you could be the next Prime Minister and lead this country in two years time?

I will have a party, and will have a manifesto as you describe - it will be on my website once the party has been formed. As will the answer to your last question
#18 Old 05-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you thought of overthrowing the government and monarchy in a (non-violent) military coup?

veg*ns of the world unite!!

Or you could join one of the existing major political parties, rise to the top and do it that way?
#19 Old 05-27-2008, 02:27 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

I will have a party, and will have a manifesto as you describe - it will be on my website once the party has been formed. As will the answer to your last question

Why not take over as leader of an existing party? This one could use a charismatic leader, since the original one is no longer with us.
#20 Old 05-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Why not take over as leader of an existing party? This one could use a charismatic leader, since the original one is no longer with us.

Yay! I'm with Bof on that one!
#21 Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

Yay! I'm with Bof on that one!

Another Screaming Lord Sutch fan? (I met him once).
#22 Old 05-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Another Screaming Lord Sutch fan? (I met him once).

My mate Dave lived near him and got to know him quite well, apparently

Oh, i had another thought! Lion Spirit could have a Lion Party! There was (and possibly still is? I found a website!), a Rhino Party in Canada, after all!!! http://www.rhinoparty.com/
#23 Old 05-27-2008, 05:13 AM

yes, I would be quite happy to vote for the monster raving loony party, but for their postal policy. Apparently they believe that the Royal Mail should be allowed to carry on with their monopoly, which is absolutely insane!

Personally, if we aren't heading towards a deregulated postal system where agency temps stuff your letters in a rubbish bin, or behind a hedge, then this country will go to the dogs.

#24 Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

Have you thought of overthrowing the government and monarchy in a (non-violent) military coup?

veg*ns of the world unite!!

Or you could join one of the existing major political parties, rise to the top and do it that way?

Well I could try overthrowing the government (would there be any point in overthrowing the moarchy?) but too many legal hassles

As for the other suggestion, takes too long. The country needs changing A.S.A.P. and you'll see why in my manifesto in the near future.

Quote:

Over 200 people voted for one of the members? I'm scared now
#25 Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

Over 200 people voted for one of the members? I'm scared now

It was probably more a protest vote against the major parties than for the MRLP
#26 Old 06-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Because money is a factor.

You seem to have missed my point. Plenty of parties have had funding, but zero electoral success. We're tied into a two-party system, and only a change in the voting system or some seismic socio-political change will alter that fundamental fact. It's great that you're motivated and positive, but really, you haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of being elected.
#27 Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You seem to have missed my point. Plenty of parties have had funding, but zero electoral success.

I've sat and watched loads of T.V. previously and seen LOADS of political party ads from the big 3, but hardly any from the other parties. The only ones I remember in fact are Green Party and UKIP. Clearly then, they either had lots of money but didn't really want to win, or they didn't have enough money for enough adverts to lots of people.

Quote:
We're tied into a two-party system, and only a change in the voting system or some seismic socio-political change will alter that fundamental fact. It's great that you're motivated and positive, but really, you haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of being elected.

Wanna bet?
#28 Old 06-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've sat and watched loads of T.V. previously and seen LOADS of political party ads from the big 3, but hardly any from the other parties. The only ones I remember in fact are Green Party and UKIP. Clearly then, they either had lots of money but didn't really want to win, or they didn't have enough money for enough adverts to lots of people.

No offence mate... but all that does is demonstrate how poorly you understand the political system. It doesn't matter how much money you have - party political broadcasting in the UK is based entirely upon the number of candidates fielded by any given party. In terms of available air-time, spending doesn't even enter into it.

Quote:
Wanna bet?

I'd love to.
#29 Old 06-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I love these threads about lion's political aspirations. I admit I dont know much about the UK but I would be surprised if voters there were in a hurry to run right out and vote for someone who has to ask avice on VB about his manifesto and how to raise cash for his party.
#30 Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 AM
Banned

Quote:

You seem to have missed my point. Plenty of parties have had funding, but zero electoral success. We're tied into a two-party system, and only a change in the voting system or some seismic socio-political change will alter that fundamental fact.

I agree with you , Lion Spirit you could achieve more by changing the first past the post system . We are way ahead of you downunder ...we each get two votes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page