Vegan Creme eggs? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, i admit it.. i miss creme eggs! I keep seeing them in the shops and thinking, ah i miss those.

Are then any vegan ones anywhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know but when you find out let me know!!!!!!

I used to love sticking my tongue in them and getting all the sugary goodness out! I actually think it's the act of eating it rather than the taste itself that I enjoy so maybe there are dark chocolate eggs out there with dark chocolate fillings?
#3 Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Veganessentials has some vegan goodies...can't say I've tried any, but I'm definitely going to soon.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Karen I'll check them out now!
#5 Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... can't see anything that ticks the box there... it should be easy to produce, surely? A reasonably bitter dark chocolate could really compliment the overly sweet filling... even if it was marzipanny or minty.

I might have a go at making some - I've had some real successes making liquer-filled chocolates, and I've got a smallish egg mould at home
#6 Old 03-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

It's just some kind of fondant-y filling, so the taste shouldn't be too hard to replicate. I think the thickness might be the problem.

ETA: here's a webiste with a non-vegan recipe. Just need to substitute stuffs.
#7 Old 03-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger_Lady View Post

Hmmm... can't see anything that ticks the box there... it should be easy to produce, surely? A reasonably bitter dark chocolate could really compliment the overly sweet filling... even if it was marzipanny or minty.

I might have a go at making some - I've had some real successes making liquer-filled chocolates, and I've got a smallish egg mould at home

Ok Badger_Lady I shall be heading over to Wales again sometime soon to visit the folks so shall come knocking on your door for some chocolatey egg goodness!
#8 Old 03-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh wow, thanks for that recipe! That's much easier than squirting in liquids

You're all invited over for vegan Easter egg-making fun
#9 Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Oooh awesome, thanks for the recipe link!!!
#10 Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger_Lady View Post

Oh wow, thanks for that recipe! That's much easier than squirting in liquids

I was expecting to have to use egg moulds which is just boring and time consuming, this recipe sounds so much easier just dipping it in a few times.
#11 Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Green & Black are owned by Cadbury, I think, so I'm sure they could make some, if they wanted to.

I get the feeling that the perception of vegans is that they like things basic, just bars of chocolate, no frills, which is ridiculous, but I suppose will change with time.

#12 Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I get the feeling that the perception of vegans is that they like things basic, just bars of chocolate, no frills, which is ridiculous, but I suppose will change with time.

i get that feeling too.
#13 Old 03-07-2008, 01:21 PM

I have had vegan creme eggs twice, one at the 2004 Manchester Vegan Festival and last summer at the London Vegan Festival - they tasted *exactly* like dairy creme eggs, the filling was identical (even had the yellow bit), although the chocolate was slightly darker than dairy milk. I'm sure if they'd used a brand like Organica's Couverture then they would have been pretty much indistinguishable from Cadbury's eggs.
#14 Old 03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Veggie View Post

I have had vegan creme eggs twice, one at the 2004 Manchester Vegan Festival and last summer at the London Vegan Festival - they tasted *exactly* like dairy creme eggs, the filling was identical (even had the yellow bit), although the chocolate was slightly darker than dairy milk. I'm sure if they'd used a brand like Organica's Couverture then they would have been pretty much indistinguishable from Cadbury's eggs.

Oh. My. God!

I want!!!
#15 Old 03-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wow sounds awesome!

I'm gonna try to make some when i have time
#16 Old 03-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Animal Aid sell these: http://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/easter.htm

"Handcrafted, chocolate eggs, filled with delicately flavoured cream fondant. (Please note blackcurrant and raspberry are temporarily sold out.)"

I ordered some a while back, they're pretty good! I only had the banana though, they still owe me those blackcurrent and raspberry eggs! [drool]
#17 Old 03-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Animal Aid sell these: http://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/easter.htm

"Handcrafted, chocolate eggs, filled with delicately flavoured cream fondant. (Please note blackcurrant and raspberry are temporarily sold out.)"

I ordered some a while back, they're pretty good! I only had the banana though, they still owe me those blackcurrent and raspberry eggs! [drool]

They should do a kind without flavouring in, then it'd be like real creme eggs.

This thread is making me want creme eggs.
#18 Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project.php?projectID=302

Make a hhuuugeeeeee one! Just replace the cadburys with different chocolate

I could never eat creme eggs, wayyy too sweet for me. let alone a kingsize one *feels a bit sick thinking about it*
#19 Old 03-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project.php?projectID=302

Make a hhuuugeeeeee one! Just replace the cadburys with different chocolate

I could never eat creme eggs, wayyy too sweet for me. let alone a kingsize one *feels a bit sick thinking about it*

OMG!!! Wow.
#20 Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I decided seeing as everything is shut today and it's snowing (again!) i'd try to make some creme eggs. Attached is the half way result. Just need to stick the two sides together when they're properly set.

Only problem was i made a bit too much fondent and i only had big egg moulds so yes GIANT creme eggs. Me and my friends are going to be so sick.
LL
#21 Old 03-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Well done Vheogl, how did they turn out?

I've had a go too, but I couldn't find any egg moulds Was driving all around the city at the weekend, and no-one knew what I was talking about!

So I've gone for the "roll into an egg shape, then dip into the chocolate" option, which is a little rough around the edges. I've done some with confectionery marzipan, too...
#22 Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm still waiting for them to set completely, but so far so good. I did think about the dripping option but i thought it might be a bit messy, plus that recipe seemed to take forever (leaving to set overnight etc).

As for easter egg moulds, lakeland have them (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/easter!9239) amazon did at one point too, and i'm sure a few independent cookshops would have them. The ones i have my mum got before i was born from an offer on the back of a pack of chocolate. Still work well though.
#23 Old 03-24-2008, 03:12 PM

Looks good vheogl!! Bet they taste fab.
#24 Old 03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Looks good vheogl!! Bet they taste fab.

Thanks Jon.

I had one of the little ones just now, not quite cadberrys creme eggs but pretty good. I'm not sure i'm going to brave the big ones just yet. I'll be sick for a week!
#25 Old 03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Woow!

I have 2 easter egg molds on my bed right now haha.

They were from Ebay last year, I made my then-boyfriend a wine gum egg (mmm gelatin. things you do for love, eh?). Cost about £4 and theyre about 3-4 inches high.

I saw in tescos they do a "make your own easter bunny" kit with a mould, it comes with milk chocolate though so fob the chocolate off on an omni/l-o vegetarian then steal the mould back? hehee thats what im doing if i see it in the sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page