i didn't find in M&S vegan food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-14-2008, 04:23 AM

hello,i spent the whole morning in M&S looking for soja milk,vegan yoghurts and tofu,but i didn't find anything....can i find them in Tesco or there are some proper shop for this stuff?i live in essex very close to London...because i'm a italian aupair,vegetarian.but i want to be vegan and i don't want be a truble for the family and i want to buy the food for me,but i can't find 'em anywhere...thanks for your time and your help,bye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

You'll find some things in Tesco, certainly - soy and rice milks, and vegan yoghurts and tofu and stuff. I don't know where else would be near you - is there a health food shop? I have no idea about the shops where you live.

Normally the big supermarkets do things, but I don't think I've ever seen anything in M&S, although a lot of their stuff is vegan. If you are struggling to find stuff, then buy the Animal Free Shopper, or try www.isitvegan.info

Hope this helps,

pirate x
#3 Old 01-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

M&S is crap for anything except (expensive) ready meals, I've found.

Any of the other supermarkets (Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose, etc) will have basics like tofu (probably just cauldron but it's alright), soymilk (several brands) and soy yoghurt (Alpro is the only good one )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2008, 05:01 AM

i'll ask to the family to take me to Tesco,because it's a bit far from home,thank you very much!!!!
#5 Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 AM

Ditto to what the others said. I can always find a quick meal at M&S (they are the savior of long waits at the airport), but otherwise they're pretty disappointing.

Both Waitrose and Sainsbury around these parts have any sort of vegan basics, and much more (like "fake chicken" and soya yogurt, etc.)

Welcome to the UK, btw!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 01-14-2008, 06:53 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

I used to work at M+S and they sell only their own brand stuff, hence the range isn't as big as some supermarkets, though the quality tends to be high. They do sell soya milk it's in an orangy brown cartoon and should be somewhere next to the normal milk. Just ask if you can't find it.

As already mentioned it's mainly best for ready meals, and unfortunately they don't have much veggie, let alone vegan. At Tesco's you're much more likely to find things like tofu and other vegan foods.
#7 Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the problem, like Kat said, is that they only do own brand stuff.

M&S prices make me cry, the only time I go in there is when im cutting through to get from the high street to h&m hehe.

Ive found vegan stapley things (tofu, soymilk) in:

Tescos

Sainsburys

Asda

Somerfield

Waitrose

sooo just go anywhere quite big except m&s and you should be ok!

That said, I never really buy tofu or soymilk anyway
#8 Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 AM

thanks,i went to Tesco and i found rice milk,soja milk,yoghut and vegan cream,but not tofu,i asked and they said I was the first customer who asks tofu...:s

i'll try in the other shops
#9 Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 AM

The only place I've found real tofu is in a Chinese supermarket - is there one of those somewhere near you do you know?
#10 Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Hm. That's strange. I would've bet on finding tofu before vegan cream or yogurt. Good deal though. Have you tried eating vegan before?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

have you ever heard of Holland and Barrett? its mainly a vitamin shop, but also sells some special foods, like tofu, veggieburgers, etc. its quite useful to pop into if you're in the highstreet and not near a supermarket. they have quite a few shops, maybe there is one near you.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/stores.asp
#12 Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM

i've been vegetarian for 5 years and semi vegan for 3,because in some food like cereal for breakfast or vegetarian sausages there are eggs,or milk or honey,i try to do not eat,but if it's happen i won't kill myself....i've been here in the U.K. for 4 months and i tried to don't bother the family who i'm living with...(i'm sure i'm making so much and awful mistakes...i feel guilty..) but now i want to eat properly...i ate for 4 months only bread...
#13 Old 01-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

oh no... just bread? thats no good! at least get some peanut butter and jam on it, quickly!

what sort of foods do you like? maybe we can help you find vegan brands of things you like- lots of food in england is vegan friendly- and in most supermarkets its labelled with symbols to tell you if its vegetarian, as least.

does your family even know you're vegetarian? i'm sure they'd not want you to feel worried. don't feel guity, you're doing your best.

i wish i lived in essex, i'd come round and take you shopping!
#14 Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 AM

as a italian I love food,and i love to cook,i have hundreds of recipes...the mother of the child is vegetarian so there isn't a big problem..the problem is they don't have any dinner,maybe 2 or 3 times per month...and so they don't go to the shop...the only food they buy is for the child...yesterday i went to Tesco and i bought something,but i didn't find tofu,tempeh,seitan and stuff like that..
#15 Old 01-15-2008, 04:03 AM

Do the parents buy takeaway or something? I mean, they have to eat something? If you have a credit card, you could always order online too. www.veganstore.co.uk has some things and www.goodnessdirect.com has a bunch too. The shipping might be a bit costly though, I can't remember.

Honestly though, I don't think it's too much of a burden to ask for a lift like once a week to Tesco or wherever.

#16 Old 01-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

M&S soya milk is DISGUSTING in my opinion! It's sweet and just has a horrible taste!

I think everyone else is right in saying that they are only good for expensive ready meals (most of which aren't even vegetarian).

The fruit and veg section of my local M&S isn't bad though. They do lots of organic fruit and veg that the other supermarkets don't seem to do (in my area anyway).
#17 Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaidemiao View Post

hello,i spent the whole morning in M&S looking for soja milk,vegan yoghurts and tofu,but i didn't find anything....can i find them in Tesco or there are some proper shop for this stuff?i live in essex very close to London...because i'm a italian aupair,vegetarian.but i want to be vegan and i don't want be a truble for the family and i want to buy the food for me,but i can't find 'em anywhere...thanks for your time and your help,bye

I don't think you'll find vegan yoghurt in Tesco, except maybe in the really big stores, but I personally have seen and bought soya milk (Tesco do their own version for around 64p - near the UHT milk I think), tofu (doesn't say "vegan" on the label though but it might be vegan), dairy-free "ice-cream" (Swedish Glace brand), and vegan chocolate (the brand is actually called 'Dairy free') but it's something like 80p a bar.

I've drank soya milk from Marks and Spencer before (ask for soya milk as most people don't call it soja milk over here) but I think that is the only specific vegan thing that they sell.

NOTE: In Tesco, you may have to look for a long time, as in some stores the manager moves things around without telling the rest of the staff where the things have been moved to, but it may be worth asking.

The TOFU in Tesco is 'Cauldron' brand though there may be other brands. It's in the chiller in one Tesco store near me.

Sainsbury's have a lot of vegan food, some expensive, some not. I don't know if they still sell them but I've seen vegan yoghurts in my local Sainsbury's (the brand is 'Alpro Soya' yoghurt) and it's near the rest of the yoghurt.

EDIT: I've just remembered something. Tesco sometimes sell Linda McCartney pies and Linda McCartney sausages, both of which are currently vegan. ( http://www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/ )
#18 Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't think you'll find vegan yoghurt in Tesco, except maybe in the really big stores

my local tesco had yofu (alprosoy) soya yogurts for flipping ever, and those nice chocolate desserts- provomel ones- and it wasn't a big tesco (its a metro, actually), so there is hope.
#19 Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 AM

My small local tesco also sold soya yoghurt until just recently, I need to write and ask for them to get it back >_>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page