Kill it, cook it, eat it - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone watching this program this week? Think it's on bbc3... i'm not sure if i'm gonna watch it yet or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Beginner

I think I'm going to watch it. It will be interesting to see how the group of guests react to it.
#3 Old 01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Well having said what i did before, my tv has decided i'm not going to watch it... my signal is a bit dodgy and i can't find bbc3 at the moment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Beginner

Well I watched it. Tonight it was about suckling pigs. For those that didn't, they had an audience set up in a working abbatoir and went through the whole process. They showed free range piglets being taken from the farm at 8 weeks old, herded one by one to be stunned, shackled, sticked (throat cut to be bled), into the scalding tank, butchered and then cooked.

It was very clinical and the presenter kept on saying the slaughtermen were following the industry's best practice guidelines and what was shown is a true depiction of what really goes on even when the cameras weren't there. (Yeah and I'm the queen of bloody England).

Most of the audience were like "oh it was so quick and sterile and the pigs had a good death".

Errr what about the pigs twitching and kicking as they were being bled. I am NOT convinced it was just a muscle reflex.

Then they showed a film clip of 2 week old Spanish piglets being taken from their mothers who were in farrow crates. Much more realistic and barbaric. Poor little piglets, chucked into the wheelbarrow on the way through the slaughterhouse, stunned, throat cut and chucked onto a pile with all the others, still moving around, twitching!

HA! most of the audience were quite horrified saying it was cruel and abusive.

Very interesting but I don't believe for one minute the sterile abbatoir situation. Best practice always prevails when we are being watched.... Especially by a film crew and on prime time national TV.

Having read Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz, I know what really goes on and the thing about the vets and inspectors being there to maintain welfare etc is just a pile of b****cks". The stunners and stickers are not experienced. They are often exploited immigrants who get paid more by the hour than they would in a day in their own country. (I'm referring to the US here not the UK as I don't know much about what really goes on in the UK).

Tomorrow is about kid goats. This series is about whether it is wrong to eat baby animals.
#5 Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Beginner

That lady who was a pig farmer really annoyed me. She thinks she's not being cruel just because she lets her pigs live longer than the ones shown, she's just as bad as the rest of them. She was also saying about how shocked and upset she was when she saw them being slaughtered, but then by the end she didn't have any trouble finishing off her plate of carcus.
#6 Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought it would be something like that Fraggle, of course it's going to be "nicely done", as those pig farmers want people to still eat their pigs. Argh probably best my tv decided i couldn't watch.
#7 Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_in_Drublic View Post

I thought it would be something like that Fraggle, of course it's going to be "nicely done", as those pig farmers want people to still eat their pigs. Argh probably best my tv decided i couldn't watch.

Hi Punk (can I call you that?)

I'd still try and get your TV to allow you to watch it tonight. Whilst we probably all know or think we know what goes on, as upsetting as it is, I still believe we owe it to the animals to watch it. If they have to suffer it, then the least we can do is watch it. PLUS for me, as sickening as it is, it gives me more ammo when talking about it to other people. They might say it's OK to eat meat as the animals don't suffer cos they saw it on TV - then I could chime in and say it wasn't an accurate portrayal.

I'm watching Hugh's Chicken Run part 2 tonight so it's going to be interesting to compare the two. Haven't seen enough of them to determine if one of them is put out by the meat industry as some sort of damage limitation. Do you know what I mean? i.e. yes we slaughter animals but it's not as bad as you think.
#8 Old 01-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggle View Post

Hi Punk (can I call you that?)

I'd still try and get your TV to allow you to watch it tonight. Whilst we probably all know or think we know what goes on, as upsetting as it is, I still believe we owe it to the animals to watch it. If they have to suffer it, then the least we can do is watch it. PLUS for me, as sickening as it is, it gives me more ammo when talking about it to other people. They might say it's OK to eat meat as the animals don't suffer cos they saw it on TV - then I could chime in and say it wasn't an accurate portrayal.

I'm watching Hugh's Chicken Run part 2 tonight so it's going to be interesting to compare the two. Haven't seen enough of them to determine if one of them is put out by the meat industry as some sort of damage limitation. Do you know what I mean? i.e. yes we slaughter animals but it's not as bad as you think.

Yeah you can call me that lol.

I know what you mean, i've been thinking about it lately, as there seems to be a lot of it on TV at the moment.

I will try to reprogramme my digital box... we'll see if it works, i can get some channals, just not the ones i want!
#9 Old 01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Beginner

So tonight's episode was about kid goats and followed the same format as last night with the piglets.

Were the goats "bleating" whilst they were having their throats cut? Or was it coming from the ones who were waiting in the stun pen? I thought perhaps the man who was cutting the throats grabbed the goat's mouth shut so we weren't appalled that it was still alive and crying?

Still don't believe they don't feel anything and that the kicking and twitching is just a muscle reaction?

I hoped that like last night they would show footage from other countries. The Greek family and the other guy all talked about the barbaric methods they had previously witnessed. Halal? Isn't that when their throats are just slit without being stunned first?

It seemed that more people had decided to become vegetarians tonight.

Tomorrow is about veal and then the day after is about lambs.

What really makes me mad is that this programme which I am convinced is put out by the meat industry as damage limitation, still does not depict what I believe really happens. The viewers are tricked into thinking all animals are reared on happy free range farms and that all abbatoirs are sterile, calm and respectful. As a result they still reconcile their eating habits as OK.
#10 Old 01-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Kill It, Cook It, Eat It is little more than propaganda for the meat industry and a chance for guilty omni's to pathetically attempt to justify their diets.

So yeah, haven't been watching it.
#11 Old 01-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantih View Post

Kill It, Cook It, Eat It is little more than propaganda for the meat industry and a chance for guilty omni's to pathetically attempt to justify their diets.

After Fraggle's replies that's what i've been thinking too.
#12 Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm watching the calf one now. Definatly meat industry propaganda.. they're showing bad cases and then saying, well actually it's ok now, and if people don't eat veal these calves are going to suffer worse fates.

What a load of nonsense.
#13 Old 01-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantih View Post

So yeah, haven't been watching it.

Thank you Shantih, couldn't have said it better myself.

I cried through this one and had to look away after the first slaughter.

Half the calf's head was hanging off and it's tongue was rolling around in it's mouth.

Well on a positive note, one vegetarian swore on the spot she was now a vegan and the other lady said she was going to have to re-evaluate her relationship with all meat, let alone veal. Through the tears I managed to give a thumbs up sign at the TV. I was too choked up to speak.
#14 Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thank you Shantih, couldn't have said it better myself.

I cried through this one and had to look away after the first slaughter.

Half the calf's head was hanging off and it's tongue was rolling around in it's mouth.

And when it tried to lift it's head

Notice how they were giving the vegetarians a hard time though
#15 Old 01-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Beginner

I've watched some of the discussion on the show, but i turn it off for the slaughters because i know i'll just end up crying. I agree with you all how its just propaganda for the meat industry and to make everyone feel better. Maybe it will turn some people to veggies which is good, but when they show how things 'used' to be done and saying there are much better now, it's such lies, makes me mad.

I hate the people in the audience who are like, 'yeah didn't bother me'. Yeah you weren't the one having your throat slit. Get some empathy.
#16 Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 AM

I couldn't bear to watch a show like this, the descriptions on here are bad enough!

#17 Old 01-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Beginner

I've now watched all 4 episodes. Some part of me thought I might somehow get less upset but in fact I found it more upsetting each time. Maybe because I just knew what was coming.

Tonight was about 2 week old lambs. They made a point about talking about the electricity stunning machine and how technical and effective it is with dials to show that the current is up to the max and working properly. Of course the presenter kept on going on about best practice guidelines etc. Then what flippin' happens! The 2nd poor little lamb gets the stunner put on it's EYES (did anyone else notice that!) and oh what a surprise, the machine failed to work. The lamb was half stunned and managed to get up again! Then someone came in and shot it in the head with a captive bolt.

Again there was all the usual twitching and kicking as their throats were being slit. Total disbelief about the whole thing. Us lot here are such a minority. I feel so sad. I also feel so angry. This world is s**t. Slightly off topic I know, but this is why I no longer believe in a God. If this is what God's world is like then I'm switching sides. Ha I may regret typing that, but let's see if I get bashed. If you don't hear from me again then you know I've been struck down by lightening.
#18 Old 01-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The 2nd poor little lamb gets the stunner put on it's EYES (did anyone else notice that!) and oh what a surprise, the machine failed to work. The lamb was half stunned and managed to get up again! Then someone came in and shot it in the head with a captive bolt.

Good God. I don't watch this programme, although i have heard about it, and may have seen a little the first time it was on tv. I thought it sounded quite informative.... showing people the full process etc.... but that sounds awful. What some people will do for their bellies.
#19 Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I missed last night's episode, i got sucked in by supersize me lol.. don't think i would have coped well with seeing the lambs anyway
#20 Old 01-11-2008, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw the one with the goats, I think that one of the omnis had a good point in that if he's going to eat it he should be ok with the process but there were people crying at it then eating the meat, someone slap them quick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page