Happy Thanksgiving! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM

received in my email today:

Quote:

Thanksgiving in the UK

A few years ago, an American and a British journalist were discussing Thanksgiving on a British radio program. The American asked if Thanksgiving was celebrated in the UK.

"Yes," the British journalist replied, "but we celebrate it on the 6th of September."

"Why then?"

"That's when you chaps left."

Received from Thomas Ellsworth.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

In case anybody doesn't get it, that's the date The Mayflower left England in 1620. Although: According to Wikipedia, the date was actually September 16th per the Old Style Julian Calendar, which was still in use in England at the time. But I thought that when they switched over to the Gregorian calendar, ten days were LOST, not gained. So I think the guy should have said September 26th (per the Gregorian calendar).

Any other history nerds wanna help me out?

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 11-21-2007, 03:02 AM

Well, the Gregorian calendar has 10 days less than the Julian version, but whether you go forward or back would be hard to decide. Also, since all the years before that were using the Julian calendar, then wouldn't the date be really off anyway?

Sweet Moses, more than you'd ever want to know about the Gregorian calendar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Sweet Moses, more than you'd ever want to know about the Gregorian calendar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

Moses wasn't that sweet. He ordered killing and rapes.
#5 Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 AM

Ooh, now there's a thread.

#6 Old 11-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

hey Jen, I'm curious (and derailing your thread, obviously)... are you going to be celebrating Thanksgiving this year? In the UK? With your Norwegian love?

That would be weird. I do know a couple of American couples/families who live in the UK and celebrate thanksgiving, but I don't know any Americans who are the only American in their household so I'm just wondering.
#7 Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 PM

#8 Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:

#9 Old 11-21-2007, 01:48 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

I recently got back from Ethiopia, they've just celebrated the millennium. I think they use the old style calender.
#10 Old 11-24-2007, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

We didn't do thanksgiving--we went to a meeting for the historical society instead. Every year my grandmother still can't understand that Thanksgiving is not a worldwide holiday. She says "it sure is queer where you are. Do you have Christmas or is that just us too?" sigh....

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page