Toothpaste - VeggieBoards

Toothpaste

Triss's Avatar Triss
04:13 PM 05-09-2016
I have ridiculously sensitive teeth and so far the only toothpaste I've found that actually helps that and makes my mouth feel clean is a baking soda one from Arm and Hammer who are owned by Church and Dwight.
My Bunny Free app and the PETA search tell me that Church and Dwight are not a nice company so I've been searching for a toothpaste to swap to.

I've tried Lavera sensitive toothpaste (and then found out it actually has bee propolis in it...) but it left my teeth feeling horrible and the sensitivity has returned with a vengeance.
I thought I'd try one of the supermarket own brands (as I was informed they're cruelty free) but had the same problem.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a toothpaste that works for sensitive teeth and actually makes your mouth feel clean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
silva's Avatar silva
04:18 PM 05-09-2016
I've been using Trader Joes peppermint, which seems the same as Toms natural
I used to mix coconut oil, baking soda, and a few drops of Dr Bronners peppermint liquid castile soap. I loved that! There's something super cleansing about coconut oil, and while I'm not about do "oil pulling" because it disgusts me, it certainly left my whole mouth feeling fresh from a dental cleaning clean! That mix was perfect, but toothpaste is so darn convienent...
I use coconut in the bathroom for my skin, and always have baking soda so I think I'll give it another go now that I'm thinking about it!
Triss's Avatar Triss
04:25 PM 05-09-2016
I've heard a lot about Trader Joes toothpaste - really wishing there was a Trader Joes in the UK!

Kingfisher has been mentioned a bit from my Google searches, but I've no idea how well they work for sensitivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Aliakai's Avatar Aliakai
04:30 PM 05-09-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triss View Post
I have ridiculously sensitive teeth and so far the only toothpaste I've found that actually helps that and makes my mouth feel clean is a baking soda one from Arm and Hammer who are owned by Church and Dwight.
My Bunny Free app and the PETA search tell me that Church and Dwight are not a nice company so I've been searching for a toothpaste to swap to.

I've tried Lavera sensitive toothpaste (and then found out it actually has bee propolis in it...) but it left my teeth feeling horrible and the sensitivity has returned with a vengeance.
I thought I'd try one of the supermarket own brands (as I was informed they're cruelty free) but had the same problem.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a toothpaste that works for sensitive teeth and actually makes your mouth feel clean?
Try calling up your dentist. If you get a list of brands (some will prescribe medical strength sensitive toothpastes) that they know work, it'll be a good starting point. I've heard that JASON brand is still vegan, and they make a sensitive toothpaste you might want to try out. I've been prescribed a derivative of Sensodyne, and anything short of prescription strength doesn't quite work on me, as I'm awaiting a few fillings from damage due to purging back in the day...>.>

Tom's got bought out a couple of years ago by either Crest or Colgate, so if you're worried about parent companies and animal testing steer clear of them.
Auxin's Avatar Auxin
05:40 PM 05-09-2016
I think she meant baking soda toothpaste, not baking soda itself.

Tho baking soda itself may be worth a go. Works great for me.

lol @ gluten free baking soda
Triss's Avatar Triss
03:54 PM 05-10-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
I think she meant baking soda toothpaste, not baking soda itself.

Tho baking soda itself may be worth a go. Works great for me.

lol @ gluten free baking soda
I did!

Also, I'm totally confused over the gluten free baking soda part - did I miss something, lol (it's highly possibly, I'm running on about 3 hours sleep right now...)


I'm hoping to find a toothpaste that I can use that's also cruelty free and that doesn't make me want to yank my teeth out after a day.
If I can't find one that works for me, is this one of those situations where I'd have to just grit my teeth (pardon the pun) and use the one that does work, even if that means using a company that's not so great?
Auxin's Avatar Auxin
05:36 PM 05-10-2016
Sorry, a post was deleted so mine didnt make sense, lol
A link was posted to a tub of baking soda on amazon that was labeled 'gluten free'
[all baking soda is gluten free]
Thalassa4's Avatar Thalassa4
05:57 PM 05-10-2016
Make your own, from raw unrefined coconut oil, baking soda and peppermint oil and stevia. I have also added vanilla, or skipped the stevia. You can add vegetable glycerin or re-mineralization complexes later. This gets my mouth spectacularly clean, and is very affordable, as well as not upsetting my stomach in the morning. I highly recommend this especially to vegans.
Triss's Avatar Triss
02:37 AM 05-11-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Make your own, from raw unrefined coconut oil, baking soda and peppermint oil and stevia. I have also added vanilla, or skipped the stevia. You can add vegetable glycerin or re-mineralization complexes later. This gets my mouth spectacularly clean, and is very affordable, as well as not upsetting my stomach in the morning. I highly recommend this especially to vegans.
Hmm, that might be worth a try. What quantities of each ingredient do you use?
Does the coconut oil taste massively coconutty? I'm not a huge fan of the taste of things like coconut milk, etc... Although I don't mind eating actual coconut itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
Sorry, a post was deleted so mine didnt make sense, lol
A link was posted to a tub of baking soda on amazon that was labeled 'gluten free'
[all baking soda is gluten free]
Ahh! That's what confused me. I was sat here thinking "isn't baking soda gluten free anyway...?"
Saying that, it's not hard to confuse me at the moment!
silva's Avatar silva
03:22 AM 05-11-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triss View Post
Hmm, that might be worth a try. What quantities of each ingredient do you use?
Does the coconut oil taste massively coconutty? I'm not a huge fan of the taste of things like coconut milk, etc... Although I don't mind eating actual coconut itself.

THats what I said- I use coconut oil for my face so I'd just put a dab on my brush, sprinkle with soda and when I had Bronners peppermint I'd add a drop of that too (I used it in a foaming soap container)
Sometimes I'd use a mix of coconut oil and soda for my nose which is prone to blemishes and rinse off so it wasn't inconvienent. The tastes work well together and left my mouth super clean feeling
karenlovessnow's Avatar karenlovessnow
05:06 AM 05-11-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Make your own, from raw unrefined coconut oil, baking soda and peppermint oil and stevia. I have also added vanilla, or skipped the stevia. You can add vegetable glycerin or re-mineralization complexes later. This gets my mouth spectacularly clean, and is very affordable, as well as not upsetting my stomach in the morning. I highly recommend this especially to vegans.


This sounds awesome. Sometimes I would dip my toothbrush in peroxide and then sprinkle just baking soda. The taste is disgusting but it's the cleanest my mouth has ever felt. I'd love to try adding the peppermint and stevia and skipping the peroxide.
Triss's Avatar Triss
03:25 PM 05-11-2016
I'll definitely keep the idea in mind, especially if I can't find a toothpaste that fits.
Does it work for sensitivity as well?
silva's Avatar silva
03:36 PM 05-11-2016
Do you have coconut oil?
I've tried oil pulling with it, where you kinda suck it back and forth between your teeth. It's so gross, but I was amazed by how great my whole mouth felt. There are lots of claims about it removing toxins and stuff, but I just tried it to see because it was harmless and I was curious.
Coconut, soda and mint are a great combo for brushing though! I would think it would be good for sensitivity, maybe not the mint though?
Triss's Avatar Triss
03:44 PM 05-11-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Do you have coconut oil?
I've tried oil pulling with it, where you kinda suck it back and forth between your teeth. It's so gross, but I was amazed by how great my whole mouth felt. There are lots of claims about it removing toxins and stuff, but I just tried it to see because it was harmless and I was curious.
Coconut, soda and mint are a great combo for brushing though! I would think it would be good for sensitivity, maybe not the mint though?
I don't, but I'm planning on getting some because so many sweet recipes I have call for it. I just have to keep it far, far away from my poor hubby!
Oil pulling sounds really gross! Think I'll give that a miss!
silva's Avatar silva
03:51 PM 05-11-2016
It's great for skin! I rarely use it to cook, but it's great for vegan choc chip cookies
Is your hubby allergic?
Triss's Avatar Triss
04:03 PM 05-11-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
It's great for skin! I rarely use it to cook, but it's great for vegan choc chip cookies
Is your hubby allergic?
Unfortunately. He's allergic to all forms of coconut, which sucks because coconut oil is used so much nowadays.
But he's allergic in the way that I can't use anything on my skin or a lip balm with coconut in because if he then kisses me, it triggers a reaction, which is why I've been stalling on buying any.

It'd be kept in "my" cupboard to cook with, but I'd be really wary of using it on my skin.
silva's Avatar silva
04:46 PM 05-11-2016
Oh,,, then using a toothpaste might not be good..

There are other older threads on the right of this page for the UK. I remember Kingfisher mentioned there. And safeway?
Triss's Avatar Triss
03:03 PM 05-12-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Oh,,, then using a toothpaste might not be good..

There are other older threads on the right of this page for the UK. I remember Kingfisher mentioned there. And safeway?
Ah, Kingfisher I've heard mentioned a lot and I know I can get it over here from a couple of places.
I've also found a brand called UltraDex which is horribly expensive but does pretty much everything I need it to.
Aliakai's Avatar Aliakai
03:04 PM 05-12-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triss View Post
Ah, Kingfisher I've heard mentioned a lot and I know I can get it over here from a couple of places.
I've also found a brand called UltraDex which is horribly expensive but does pretty much everything I need it to.
I don't know if you noticed my suggestion above for Jason, but it works okay on my sensitive teeth. I tried it out after the post I made ^^;;
Triss's Avatar Triss
04:47 PM 05-12-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
I don't know if you noticed my suggestion above for Jason, but it works okay on my sensitive teeth. I tried it out after the post I made ^^;;
I didn't, but thank you - I'll add that to the list of ones to try!
Thalassa4's Avatar Thalassa4
03:50 PM 05-13-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triss View Post
Hmm, that might be worth a try. What quantities of each ingredient do you use?
Does the coconut oil taste massively coconutty? I'm not a huge fan of the taste of things like coconut milk, etc... Although I don't mind eating actual coconut itself.



Ahh! That's what confused me. I was sat here thinking "isn't baking soda gluten free anyway...?"
Saying that, it's not hard to confuse me at the moment!

I mix about four parts coconut oil to two parts baking soda, then mix in peppermint and stevia to taste (start with less then add on, do it by about ten drops at a time) ...if you used both peppermint and vanilla you could likely completely mask the coconut flavor. I honestly don't like cooking tofu with unrefined coconut oil, it gives it an unpleasantly weird coconut flavor, but I totally dig it as a toothpaste.

I also wash my face with it.
Ferociously Vegan
02:39 AM 06-25-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triss View Post
I have ridiculously sensitive teeth and so far the only toothpaste I've found that actually helps that and makes my mouth feel clean is a baking soda one from Arm and Hammer who are owned by Church and Dwight.
My Bunny Free app and the PETA search tell me that Church and Dwight are not a nice company so I've been searching for a toothpaste to swap to.

I've tried Lavera sensitive toothpaste (and then found out it actually has bee propolis in it...) but it left my teeth feeling horrible and the sensitivity has returned with a vengeance.
I thought I'd try one of the supermarket own brands (as I was informed they're cruelty free) but had the same problem.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a toothpaste that works for sensitive teeth and actually makes your mouth feel clean?
I use the aloe vera toothpaste for sensitive teeth from Holland and Barret.
Reply Up
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3