Cruelty Free & Vegan Beauty Products UK - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-30-2016, 07:31 AM

Red face Cruelty Free & Vegan Beauty Products UK

I was wondering what are the best brands or single items to buy in the UK which are Cruelty Free.
I've been doing abit of research but its incredibly time consuming finding stuff which isn't USA or abroad and is affordable. I'm a student so have a reasonably tight budget but don't want to contribute to animal testing any longer.

I'm specifically looking at what people use on their hair (Shampoo etc) It needs to be affordable and preferably sold in boots, holland and barrett or tescos (or supermarkets similar)
Just wondering what everyone else uses!
Thank you x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2016, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Superdrug - their own brand range is cruelty free (look for the bunny rabbit :-) )
#3 Old 03-31-2016, 05:35 AM

I really like Australian Organics which you can get from Holland and Barrett, also made without Parabens, Sodium Lauryl Sulphates or Propylene Glycol. I'm big on not putting chemicals into my body via the skin, so I go as natural as possible. Not the cheapest but you can save money by training your hair to not need so many washes. I generally only need to wash my hair twice a week, at one point it was everyday, which is ridiculous and expensive.
Cheap eye makeup remover is coconut oil. Keep a small pot in your bathroom, rub to heat up and liquify and gently rub over eyes. Best remover i've ever had and helps keep the skin young
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Pagan Vegan

I don't know if you're still looking but I adore Lush products.
They aren't hugely cheap, but they last for ages - especially the shampoo bars.

I also second Superdrug and I believe they have a make-up range called B. which is vegan-friendly as well.

Through the streets and the houses of gods you roam
and on their altars you lay your heart of stone
#5 Old 05-09-2016, 06:55 AM

Also gonna say superdrug! I get all my toiletries and make up from there x
#6 Old 06-25-2016, 01:37 AM

Smile Cruelty Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiem111 View Post
I was wondering what are the best brands or single items to buy in the UK which are Cruelty Free.
I've been doing abit of research but its incredibly time consuming finding stuff which isn't USA or abroad and is affordable. I'm a student so have a reasonably tight budget but don't want to contribute to animal testing any longer.

I'm specifically looking at what people use on their hair (Shampoo etc) It needs to be affordable and preferably sold in boots, holland and barrett or tescos (or supermarkets similar)
Just wondering what everyone else uses!
Thank you x
Hi, I buy Barry M make-up or Beauty Without Cruelty from Holland Barrets who also do great vegan hair colours and shampoos etc.
#7 Old 07-01-2016, 04:39 PM
~ ✫ . 🌟 ☯ 🌟 . ✫ ~

As other users have already said above - Superdrug is great - all of their own brand products are cruelty free (not tested on animals) and most of their own brand products are marked as being suitable for vegetarians/vegans. If your main priority is ensuring that your products are veggie/vegan and cruelty free (and very reasonably priced!) - than Superdrug own brand is a great option. Plus they have a loyalty card scheme, which sometimes gives you bonus points when you purchase their own brand products, which of course means more money off their products in the future. :-)

Barry M (available from Superdrug and Boots) is a good brand too - all vegetarian and cruelty free, reasonably priced, but I'm not sure how many of their products are vegan - and I don't think they specify which of their products are vegan on the product itself, so I think you need to check their site to find out which products are vegan.

But if you also want to make a point of using products that are more natural/eco-friendly, as well as being veggie/vegan and cruelty free - then it's best to go for a more natural brand such as:

As other users have already said aswell - Lush products are all natural/eco-friendly, cruelty free, all 100% vegetarian, and a lot of their products are vegan too (all their products are clearly marked as vegetarian/vegan). They donate profits from some of their products to charities (often animal charities) which is amazing. :-) The only problem with Lush, is that their products can be a little bit pricey sometimes - they're worth every penny - but not the best option for someone who needs products that are more reasonably priced.

Dr Organic (available from all Holland and Barrett stores). Again, Dr Organic are all natural/eco-friendly, cruelty free, all 100% vegetarian, and a lot of their products are vegan too (all their products are clearly marked as vegetarian/vegan). Their products can also be a little bit pricey - but luckily, Holland and Barrett do tend to do a lot of multi-buy offers on Dr Organic products, so most of the time it's very easy to get them (and stock up, lol) while they're cheaper. Plus the Holland and Barrett loyalty card scheme is quite generous, which means you end up building up quite a bit of in-store credit each time your purchase products from them (which, again, means you can then it to get more money off Dr Organic products.). :-)

Faith In Nature (also available from Holland and Barrett). All natural/eco-friendly, cruelty free, all vegetarian, mostly vegan (all products marked as vegetarian/vegan). Slightly cheaper than Dr Organic products.

You said you're particularly interested on what others here use on their hair - personally myself, I tend to use Faith In Nature shampoo/conditioner, and if I want to give my hair extra conditioning, I put some coconut oil on it for a while before I wash and condition as normal.

"And ye harm none, do what ye will" ~ Wiccan Rede 

Last edited by Natural_Jan; 07-01-2016 at 04:47 PM.
#8 Old 09-25-2016, 11:13 PM

Hi all, gonna bump this thread as I believe these things are often overlooked.

I remember a long time ago boycotting certain brands of lipsticks because of the whale blubber. I think I must have been in something of a bubble because I have not been checking the brands I use for years. I remember 'simple' being a brand that came out as animal friendly and actively buying and promoting that.

I also remember being excited by The Body Shop... when it first opened it was my local shop and did not test on animals in any way shape or form, however it grew into a large company and sold off to L'oreal... who do not test on animals "except when required by law" I'm not even sure what that means.

Am now looking through lists of brands which do not have any testing on animals at all... It seems to be difficult because a lot of companies says they do not test on animals like 'benefit' a brand which I have used a lot recently but in the small print is say ".... accept when required by law..."
From what I can work out just now it seems that this requirement pertains to China? So any company which has a base/sells/operates in China with this clause does intact test on Animals.

This takes me back to finding a list of products that are not incredibly widely available... Jason is a hair care brand which are vegan and I see them in a lot of health stores. I'm now questioning this because the wording on their site seems ambiguous. They suggest not all their products are vegan an point towards their beeswax singular product? but i'm skeptical as the wording seems to cleverly arranged for it to just be a single product that is not vegan... and if so why are they not on the peta list??

It's all so complicated... however I do like to research! So shall report back with some news.

I know that super drug while none of their own brands are tested on animals, support charities which do test on animals... so sometimes it's hard to know where to draw the line... and the lines can be blurry too.

E.g I have a job working for an artisan bakery, not all breads are vegan, some even contain meat. There are also meat products. I did chose this company over others as I have checked all their main sources and from what I can tell so far they all rate fairly highly on animal welfare... as much as they can do when slaughtering animals
I would prefer to work for a vegan company of course.

Last edited by Geminatronix; 09-26-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Tags
animal cruelty , beauty , haircare , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page