Television, UK style - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Was reading the Couch Potato thread, but I've not heard of many of the programs there, so I thought I'd start a UK thread too (though, granted there's some overlap).

Mostly I was excited to see rags post in the other thread about Misfits. I am totally hooked on this show, silly though it be.

What else are you guys watching? Neither of us are reality TV fans, which seems to put a damper on much of our viewing options. Mostly we've been ripping stuff off from the States, via the Internet.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

MISFITS!

I love it. Finally someone else who likes it. Terribly exciting!
I only watch tv on the internet, from iplayer, 4od etc. And misfits is all I'm watching at the moment.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#3 Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

There's not much current stuff I'm watching now that Spooks has finished. Caught a couple of episodes of The IT Crowd this evening, I had seen them before but they were still hilarious. Watching some South Park right now as I drink my before bed cocoa.

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-06-2010, 04:45 PM

I'm a major fan of "Chuck" which is an American show - it's onto season four now, and it's so addictive, quirky, hilarious and cool! xx

Was she really beautiful? Was she at least what they call attractive? She was exasperation, she was torture. ― Vladimir Nabokov, Ada, or Ardor

#5 Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a terrible guilty pleasure for some realitiy tv shows *the shame* and now I've got my boyfriend into them *more shame*.

Those aside, I'm so excited about the new series of peep show! I loooove David Mitchell. I usually watch have I got news for you and QI also. I really like that BBC1 show where they have shops in the style of different periods of british history... but I don't remember what it's called.
#6 Old 12-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I hardly watch any UK TV, I much prefer US shows. I only watch the BBC News, The Wright Stuff and Come Dine With Me.
#7 Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I very much liked "Mock the Week" when I was there, even though some of British politics I didn't understand very much. Still, it as pretty funny
#8 Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

I watch... X Factor, The Apprentice, Never Mind the Buzzcocks. Sometimes I catch Come Dine With Me or HIGNFY when I'm at my mum's (I don't have a TV).
#9 Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Beginner

I love the apprentice!!

Anyone watching corry atm? Quite good
#10 Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

Right, just the British shows I watch...

Misfits!
How Not To Live Your Life
Russell Howard's Good News
Nevermind the Buzzcocks
Mock the Week
HIGNFY
QI
The IT Crowd
Skins (the first two series... the last two were crap.)
The Apprentice
The Apprentice: You're Fired
The World's Strictest Parents

I think that's it...
#11 Old 12-07-2010, 01:16 PM

what the frick is HIGNFY??

I also love True Blood It's the way vampires should be done, none of this sparkling nonsense (as much as I do fancy the pants off Robert Pattinson, but shhh)

Was she really beautiful? Was she at least what they call attractive? She was exasperation, she was torture. ― Vladimir Nabokov, Ada, or Ardor

#12 Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroythenight View Post

what the frick is HIGNFY??

Have I Got News For You I presume? I used to watch that but I really went off it.

I also watch Harry Hill on TV Burp and You've Been Framed. I watch Inside Out London too, I don't have an obsession with Matthew Wright though honest.
#13 Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Does it have to be current shows? Because I am totally in love with As Time Goes By and Are You Being Served?
#14 Old 12-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Is Peep Show still on? That show is quite funny.

And of course, your version of The Office. I can't believe it only lasted for two seasons.
#15 Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I would strongly recommend Would I Lie to You, I think David Mitchell and Lee Mack are very funny as the team captains.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#16 Old 12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Is Peep Show still on? That show is quite funny.

Haha, yeah. I have only seen a few of them but it's hilarious.
#17 Old 12-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

HIGNFY, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, Mock The Week, The Apprentice, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, Doctor Who.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#18 Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't heard of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, but I love the name!
#19 Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronar View Post

I love the apprentice!!

Who do you want to win? I think it will be Liz or Jamie but I'd love it to be Joanna. I didn't like her at all in the beginning but she's grown on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I haven't heard of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, but I love the name!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cBcEITcFq8

Slightly NSFW

It's not QUITE so amazing since Amstell and Bill Bailey left, but still awesome.
#20 Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cBcEITcFq8

Slightly NSFW

It's not QUITE so amazing since Amstell and Bill Bailey left, but still awesome.

All that is missing from that video is creepy number 5!

Here he is!

#21 Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Much love for Peep Show. <3 For whoever asked, yes, series 7 is currently showing!

I also love True Blood (although, series 3 had a ****e ending) and Never Mind The Buzzcocks (the last few series) Noel Fielding makes me happy.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#22 Old 12-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Those aside, I'm so excited about the new series of peep show! I loooove David Mitchell. I usually watch have I got news for you and QI also. I really like that BBC1 show where they have shops in the style of different periods of british history... but I don't remember what it's called.

Love David Mitchell too!!! Have been to quite a few BBC recordings of shows he's in!
#23 Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 AM

I don't mind suggestions of old shows that are still airing, at all. We often flip around our 50ish Freeview channels and seem to find nothing to watch, but a big part of that is just that we're not familiar with the show titles.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#24 Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

Oh how could I forget! I nearly forgot them! I'm so sorry!

Top Gear!
#25 Old 12-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronar View Post

I love the apprentice!!

Yes, I watch this on and off because my mum and dad watch, but I have become hooked the past few days!

Also love misfits, the apprentice, glee, peep show, strictly come dancing and I'm looking forward to the Dr Who Christmas special!

For a while I only watched American shows and was a bit fed up with Bristish TV but things like Sherlock (can't wait for it to come back!!) Downton Abbey (can't wait for it to come back!!!) and Misfits make me feel that British TV can still be fresh, fun and exciting!!! (and there you go that's me praised the Beeb, ITV and c4 all in one go). I love when you get a really good series where you are excited all week for the next episode, and don't care if that sounds like I haven't got a life :P
#26 Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I don't mind suggestions of old shows that are still airing, at all.

I will watch things like Fawlty Towers and Blackadder. Classic!
#27 Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's another American who loves Fawlty Towers. I even own it on DVD. In fact, there were two separate attempts on this side of the pond to replicate the show for Americans, but they both stunk and were immediate failures. One starred Beatrice Arthur and the other starred Tim Curry. Sorry, but as good as they are in other things, neither one is John Cleese.

*this space not for sale*
#28 Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Lately I'm watching The Apprentice, Accused (a drama on BBC that only my bf and I seem to have heard of), most things by David Attenborough, and re-watching all the Man Stroke Woman sketches on Youtube.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#29 Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Misfits is WONDERFUL. Honestly some of the best TV in years. Am also very much enjoying Any Human Heart.

Cannot wait for the new series of Being Human.

Hope they make more Sherlock ASAP.
#30 Old 12-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the people who liked would I lie to you and david attenborough documentorys (although the panda one last night just made me really sad so I stopped watching.it. I can't belive people would rather watch american tv! Britain has some of the worlds best documentorys, dramas and comedic shows!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page