Television, UK style - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Is anyone else a little disturbed by how racist Come Fly With Me is?

I haven't watched that. What is racist about it?

I saw the Australian Come Dine With Me yesterday. It's quite a boring show without Dave Lamb's sarky comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I haven't watched that. What is racist about it?

I saw the Australian Come Dine With Me yesterday. It's quite a boring show without Dave Lamb's sarky comments.

All the non-white characters are total stereotypes... the devout Christian African lady (who is a liar and thief by the way), the stupid young Asian boy who is always chasing after girls and saying "you get me", two Japanese girls who were given silly high-pitched voices and Lolita outfits. Plus, who the hell still does blackface in 2011?
#93 Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

^ Okay.... that sounds pretty awful. I stopped watching Little Britain after a while because I thought that went very downhill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Watched a bit of An Idiot Abroad and had to turn it off halfway through. I know they're trying to play ignorance for laughs, but it just comes off as one really ignorant guy being pushed about the world by two people pretending to be more liberal than they really are. Not for me, it just smacked of hypocrisy and I couldn't enjoy it.
Then I watched like 3 episodes of Whale Wars and am rather embarrassed to say I'm hooked. American tv really can draw you in with the ridiculous drama.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#95 Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

^If you like the general idea of Ricky Gervais mocking the thoughts (not always so...extreme) of Karl then try and catch the Ricky Gervais show that was animated from his Radio podcast thingys. Recently shown on e4

Does anyone know if the new Sky Atlantic channel is only for HD sky customers?
#96 Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh! If anyone is feeling voyeuristic, I've been informed that 'the Scheme' episode 3 has made its way onto youtube. Awful tv, but it really shows people the extent of urban decay on some council estates, and should spur people to action.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#97 Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I also love True Blood It's the way vampires should be done, none of this sparkling nonsense (as much as I do fancy the pants off Robert Pattinson, but shhh)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

True Blood is awesome! I like a lot of US shows, greays anatomy, criminal minds, supernatural. I'm a bit addicted to come dine with me at the moment too
#98 Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Did anyone else watch Horizon - What Is Reality? on the BBC a while ago? It actually blew my mind. So interesting.

I think you should all watch it. Now. It's on iplayer still.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#99 Old 02-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I cant believe there is now a program like come dine with me, but noone eats. they just look around the house and then grade eachother? wtf who invents these programmes
#100 Old 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

huh? :s

what's it called?

#101 Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

Did anyone else watch Horizon - What Is Reality? on the BBC a while ago? It actually blew my mind. So interesting.

I think you should all watch it. Now. It's on iplayer still.

I saw that. Horizon has been great recently.

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
#102 Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes! It's brilliant, but that one was the best of them all.

#103 Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstew View Post

I saw that. Horizon has been great recently.

Really? Last I watched Horizon it was a science-lite parody of what it used to be, with real scientific talking heads replaced with ridiculous slice of life stories that were used to present a human face on the issues, something I did not want from a science program.

Has anyone been watching Charlie Brooker's new show? I'm enjoying it, but I think that it's somewhat less entertaining, as he's a bit toothless since his marriage, and can't attack anything specific for fear of offending someone in his new social circle! Still, the wider critique of televisual trends is still entertaining. I'm not wild about the other show, 10 O'Clock Live, but that's probably because it all feels a bit rushed and is sort of a spoiler for Brooker's Mondays column in the Guardian...

#104 Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Beginner

I think David Mitchell wants to be the next Paxman :P
#105 Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I think he wants to be (altohugh maybe Humphries more than Paxman, he is that little bit more reserved), but the most recent episode is the only one where I've seen him chair a debate convincingly, and his interviews usually end up with the interviewee getting their point heard more than Mitchell really taking them to task. I think as the show goes on he's coming into the style more, but he's playing catch up with the rest, who after that first shaky episode have really stepped up the the plate.

#106 Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

huh? :s

what's it called?

Google says its called "May the best house win" and is on ITV
they just get interviewed about what someones house will be like, then go look around the house and have a chat, then grade him between 1-10 for the house and his hosting skills. Its.... odd. oh the crap i catch on my lunch break in the canteen
#107 Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry if someone has posted this, but Snog Marry Avoid on BBC3 is clearly an amazing show.
#108 Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anybody seen this season of Skins? It's so bad, it's embarrassing!

I love Shameless...
#109 Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Been watching Marchlands, the new ghost story series on ITV, think that's rather good, anyone else like that one?
#110 Old 02-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacebone View Post

Has anybody seen this season of Skins? It's so bad, it's embarrassing!

yeah so far ive watched 1 1/2 episodes and it was so bad it made me embarrased for them

how hard is it to find young actors who can um...act?!
#111 Old 03-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Is anyone watching Masterchef?

There's a woman on it that they keep referring to as a vegetarian, but as far as I can tell, she eats fish/seafood. It's annoying me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#112 Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Ex-*****

Anyone watching Takeshi's Castle? (I suspect it's reruns, airs on one of the more exotic Freeview box channels, typically on Saturday mornings.) It's soooo funny and never fails to put a big smile on my face! Those poor Japanese people are trying so hard to get through all the challenges, only to be zapped by the Emerald Guard (or whatever they're called) at the last challenge every time I think my favourite challenge is the cannon ball one where the contestants have to balance across the suspension bridge while carrying the golden ball and trying to avoid being shot to pieces by the scary Japanese clowns / Emerald Guard / not sure what they're called! Sooo funny!

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#113 Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Yea, I have most of the Craig Charles-narrated episodes of Takeshi on my HD. Great show, just fun, and never gets old.

#114 Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I love watching Takeshi's castle... the question is, have you ever seen anyone win?! Id love to go on it haha.
I also like Ninja Warrior, people take it so seriously!
#115 Old 03-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

Yea, I have most of the Craig Charles-narrated episodes of Takeshi on my HD. Great show, just fun, and never gets old.

Yep, the commentary is almost half the fun It was on again this morning, this time with some slightly different challenges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I love watching Takeshi's castle... the question is, have you ever seen anyone win?!

Never! But apparently it has happened, there are come clips on youtube.

Quote:
Id love to go on it haha.

I think I'm too old Besides, it's in Japan (I think!), and right now it doesn't look like a place I want to go in the near future ...

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#116 Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

celebrity juice. *thumbs uo*

#117 Old 03-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately you can't go on Takeshi's Castle, as it was produced from 1986-89, with a special revival in 2005! Talking of Kitano Takeshi though, I was lucky enough to catch the display of his work in the Gallerie Cartiere that is mentioned on his wikipedia page. Was walking through Paris on a day having argued with my gf about what we wanted to do with the limited time we had left, and just stumbled upon the display. They didn't allow photos unfortunately, but needless to say it was amazing fun, some great statues and I only wish I had more cash to have bought some of the merchandise.

EDIT:

Poster and link to a scan of one of the pages of the free booklet that was handed out to visitors (the drawing is of a statue that was in the gallery).

#118 Old 03-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Woah I didnt realise Takeshi's was that old! Seriously? I thought it was like, 2000s. Can someone build the set in their back garden please and let me play? If not, Crystal Maze would be perfect.
#119 Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea, it's quite hard to date the clothes of the people on it, but the video quality is still in that horrible '80s/'90s recorded directly onto tapes rather than film style.

#120 Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Just watched the first episode of Twenty Twelve. It was pretty funny so will be watching the rest.

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page