British Sandwich Week - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Banned

Hooray for the humble sandwich.

Its interesting that 3 of the top 10 favourite British sandwiches are vegetarian:

http://www.sandwich.org.uk/british_s...ndwiches.shtml

What's your favourite sandwich?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

The "Everything-in-my-fridge" sandwich.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

News from the British Sandwich Association! Jeez, I've lived a sheltered life, I never knew there was a British association just for sandwich makers!

As for my favourite sandwich.....that would have to include a thick wodge of hummus, with tomatoes, onion, lettuce, green olives...drool. On thick wholemeal bread, of course.

(I had close-to for lunch. Some wholemeal bread, and a nice big helping of freshly made hummus to dip it into...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Beginner

I freaking love sandwiches. My top two right now (though it's always changing, I love em! Are hummus with anything and cucumber sandwiches. I'll help you all celebrate in my corner of the earth!

Remember Fred Penner?

Sandwiches are beautiful Sandwiches are fine, I like Sandwiches I eat them all the time if I had a hundred Sandwiches I'd eat them all at once! I like Sandwiches, Sandwiches are fine!

Fast Forward to about halef way or just after for the great song.
#5 Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 AM

I have lots of favourite sandwiches.

Avocado with tomato, sea salt and vegan mayo on wholemeal bread.

Panini with vegan bacon, lettuce and tomato.

Vegan cheese, lots of fresh salad and pickle.

Vegan sausages with brown sauce in a baguette.

Falafel, houmous and salad in pitta bread.

Banana sandwiches.

#6 Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Banned

Cheezly, Marmite and Red Onion sandwich:

Spread a bit of margarine on two slices of wholemeal bread

Spread a thin layer of Marmite on the margine

Cut razor thin slices of Cheezly Mature Red Cheddar style vegan cheese, not too much., and place on marmite

Finely chop fresh red onion, just a sprinkling, to add to sandwich

Top and eat.
#7 Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

My fave sandwich when I was in the UK last summer was no doubt the fritter on a roll with salt and vinegar from the chippy down the road from our flat. Oh man am I craving it now! No one sells potato fritters here, and I had never even heard of them before going to Glasgow!
#8 Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

My fave sandwich when I was in the UK last summer was no doubt the fritter on a roll with salt and vinegar from the chippy down the road from our flat. Oh man am I craving it now! No one sells potato fritters here, and I had never even heard of them before going to Glasgow!

Ah. Standard Glaswegian health food, then
#9 Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I have lots of favourite sandwiches.

Avocado with tomato, sea salt and vegan mayo on wholemeal bread.

Panini with vegan bacon, lettuce and tomato.

Vegan cheese, lots of fresh salad and pickle.

Vegan sausages with brown sauce in a baguette.

Falafel, houmous and salad in pitta bread.

Banana sandwiches.

I've never had an avocado sandwich, but as luck would have it, I bought 4 baby avocados today....so I'll be trying your sandwich in the next few days.

Ah, banana sandwiches....I'm so busy (for busy, read lazy) that most lunchtimes, if there is bread and a banana in the house, it's generally all I have time (read - can be bothered) to do.

I love banana sandwiches!
#10 Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Hummus & red grape

veggie sausage, spinach and wholegrain mustard

nutroast, tomato & english mustard

peanut butter/cashew butter & banana

grilled tofu, artichoke hearts & vegan pesto

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's amazing to think how many sanwiches I've made over the years and yet I can;t remember them. I also like sprouted things added to pretty much any sandwich. Rye bread can make some sanwiches awesomer too.
#11 Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

they'll batter and deep fry pretty much anything that isn't nailed down, those scotts

...... i was disturbed and shocked to not see a marmitey sandwich in that list. <- see!

and why why WHY do so many people persist in eating egg and cress sandwiches, when they clearly stink out everything and everyone in an entire mile radius around them, and put you on the receiving end of the annoyance of poor fumigated passers-by/co-workers/family/friends. did these people learn NOTHING in primary school? or do they shamefully scoff them secretly in a sealed room like the pariahs that they should well be thought of as?
#12 Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:

I've never had an avocado sandwich, but as luck would have it, I bought 4 baby avocados today....so I'll be trying your sandwich in the next few days.

I hope you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman_dancing View Post

nutroast, tomato & english mustard

grilled tofu, artichoke hearts & vegan pesto

They sound interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i was disturbed and shocked to not see a marmitey sandwich in that list. <- see!

Mmm I love soya cheese and marmite (or another brand of yeast extract) sandwich.
#13 Old 05-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

Or "a plate of cholesterol" as it ought to be known, vegan foods being the rare exception of course
#14 Old 05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I love sandwiches!

Lettuce, salad cream (vegan friendly Sainsbury's low fat), tomato, cucumber, spring onion and green sweet pepper.

Grated vegan cheese (Sheese strong Chedder), tomato and loads of black pepper.

Hummus, mushroom, onion and tomato.

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
#15 Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstew View Post

I love sandwiches!

Lettuce, salad cream (vegan friendly Sainsbury's low fat), tomato, cucumber, spring onion and green sweet pepper.

Grated vegan cheese (Sheese strong Chedder), tomato and loads of black pepper.

Hummus, mushroom, onion and tomato.

vegan salad cream? shut up! no wait! actually don't! really? truely? such a thing exists? i wonder if i can get my mum to mail me salad cream, or if thats pushing it a bit tooo far.

eta: omg its true. i went to the sainsburys website and there it was! i'm gonna be good to myself now. repeatedly. i just gotta wait til a decent hour on the GMT to arrange it. *fidgets and clockwatches*
#16 Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

What is salad cream?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#17 Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

What is salad cream?

its sort of like mayo, only a billion times better. same consistancy as ketchup, tart like tartar sauce, nice tangy kick from the vinegar, but mustardy, creamy and well-rounded at the same time, not at all wobbly, generally awesome.

http://www.lovesauces.co.uk/Products...?p=heinz-salad
#18 Old 05-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

^ I was supprised by the vegan salad cream too, its not bad, there's something about it that's not quite perfect... but in a coslaw/sandwhich/salad/pasta salad its really good. Gotta love sainsburys.

I saw this thread so I had a sandwhich today, it reminded me. I have this weird thing with sandwhiches where I think I'm going to hate them so I don't like eating them, but todays was nice it was red pepper hummus and grated carrot.

I love toasted sandwhiches though, mushroom garlic and baked beans = love.
#19 Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM

I had a lovely sweet potato, beetroot, lemon juice and goats cheese sandwich a while ago. It was pretty damn good!
#20 Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

beeetroooooot goes excellent when its pickled and sliced, in a chip buttie.
#21 Old 05-15-2010, 01:47 AM

For a toasted sandwich, it has to be either avocado or honey and peanut butter. Sooo good!
#22 Old 05-15-2010, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich (I used to like bacon on mine, but I've yet to try veggie bacon and I doubt that I will...)

- "California" sandwich (avocado, sprouts, cheese, tomato, mustard) with BBQ kettle chips crushed on the sandwich

- Roasted red pepper and cheese panini

- Burnt cheesetoast sandwich (blackened bread, two slices of cold American cheese) < Don't ask me where this one came from, this is just how I ate sandwiches as a kid, and it was a textural wonder. Best if you let the burnt bread cool as completely as you can so it doesn't affect the coldness of the cheese when you put it on.

Most Complicated/Theoretically Mind-Blowing Sandwich. Okay, so we made this pasta from Pioneer Woman last night:

Our only changes were that we used tricolor spiral pasta and added mushrooms because, well, we eat mushrooms in everything.

I served this with crunchy parmesan garlic bread, and ended up eating most of my pasta on the garlic bread with a little bit of Italian salad on top. I spent half of the meal thinking about what a completely mind-blowing sandwich this pasta would make. If anyone tries it, let me know.

The pasta is pretty amazing by itself, coincidentally.
#23 Old 05-19-2010, 05:31 PM

The one I had today was very nice:

hummous, slices of red & yellow pepper, rocket leaves and sundried tomato

on brown bread

bought it in the library cafe; it was the only suitable thing I could see! everything else was meat or cheese.

I think it'd be good in wraps too, ill be making it myself certainly!
#24 Old 05-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds lovely lucy89

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
#25 Old 05-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

beeetroooooot goes excellent when its pickled and sliced, in a chip buttie.

Mmmm chip buttie! I eat these surprisingly often these days. Joe tells me I'm more British then he is these days. Hey..not my fault he's shown me these things!
#26 Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Mmmm chip buttie! I eat these surprisingly often these days. Joe tells me I'm more British then he is these days. Hey..not my fault he's shown me these things!

if he's a scot, i'm suprised he'd want to be referred to as 'british', and tarred with the same brush as the rest of the uncivilised lot round there.

i wouldn't worry about it though- its gotta be done, the chip buttie consumption. almost medicinal really.
#27 Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

if he's a scot, i'm suprised he'd want to be referred to as 'british', and tarred with the same brush as the rest of the uncivilised lot round there.

i wouldn't worry about it though- its gotta be done, the chip buttie consumption. almost medicinal really.

He's kinda special that Scot..lol It annoys him that other Scots seem to deviate from the Britishness of it all. I think he secretly wants to be English...(Although he'd kill me if he heard me say that! ) If you'd hear him speak, you'd realize right away that he sounds nothing like a Scot, even though he was raised near Glasgow. The rest of his family have Scottish accents...I don't understand where he gets his accent from!
#28 Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:

He's kinda special that Scot..lol It annoys him that other Scots seem to deviate from the Britishness of it all. I think he secretly wants to be English...(Although he'd kill me if he heard me say that! ) If you'd hear him speak, you'd realize right away that he sounds nothing like a Scot, even though he was raised near Glasgow. The rest of his family have Scottish accents...I don't understand where he gets his accent from!

oh goodness gracious me.

have you considered locking him in a cupboard and forcing him to watch braveheart a few hundred times?

eta: um... with an irn bru sandwich in his hand.
#29 Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

oh goodness gracious me.

have you considered locking him in a cupboard and forcing him to watch braveheart a few hundred times?

eta: um... with an irn bru sandwich in his hand.

An Irn Bru sandwich?

Well I'll give him that much, he loves his Irn Bru. Come to think of it, I kinda want some now. I'd have to pay $2.19 plus tax and deposit for a 500ml bottle at Superstore! Such a ripoff!!
#30 Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Californian sandwiches... Tomato, deli sprouts, avocado, mustard and cheese

And I'm surprised no one has said it yet- Mock tuna sandwiches!!! mmmmmm!!!! (Mashed chickpeas with vegenaise)

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page