Pink Cheezly? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey everyone, I could have posted this in vegan/veggie but given Cheezly is UK based:

I know Cheezly isn't supposed to last forever, but I am generally very lax when it comes to use by dates anyway, I bring home bags of food from work that is about to be binned etc etc, so keep it for a while, especially as I'm the only one eating it and my Dad is a bit forgetful that its there and puts actual cheese on food I'm eating (good thing I'm not actually vegan if he is cooking in his preeeeeciiooous kitchen.

Anyway, the past couple of blocks I've had (Cheddar currently and Edam last) have been going a bit pink on the outside. Does this happen to anyone else? I wondered if it was because the plastic tub I keep it in is pink, but they are well wrapped in greaseproof, so not actually touching the tub. Is this Cheezly going off? I did find proper mould on the Cheddar block as well, so cut that bit off and used it. I haven't died yet, and this may be a bit naive...does vegan cheese/foods mould in the same way as their non vegan counterparts???

Oh and also:

Free n Easy Cheese sauce mix + soya milk + nooch + Cheezly cheddar + pasta/gnocchi + breadcrumbs + herbs + garlic = one very full Holly.

(quite cheesy infact, I was impressed, still need to keep mucking with the additions to the sauce, but the base is there and unlike its dairy counterpart I don't have to fart about with a roux. The whole family had veggie lasagna with it as white sauce and it worked nicely too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

Moudly cheezly is not the same as mouldy cheese. Its gone off. Give it the boot.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times: 'If in doubt, throw it out'
#3 Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Moudly cheezly is not the same as mouldy cheese. Its gone off. Give it the boot.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times: 'If in doubt, throw it out'

Oh I know I should, but....what about if the mouldy chunk has been cut off, rather than just scraped off?

Hmm. Luckily half the block has been used. I am curious about the pink colouring situation. Rainbow cheezly!

(p.s. wasn't clear on the vegan cheese mould vs non vegan cheese mould: I meant 'does it go fuzzy or something else?' not 'is it now stilton?' sorry)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

once there is visable mould on something, there are mould spores throughout it- even if not in large enough amounts to see.

mould grows pretty much the same on foods whether they're vegan or not (if its got air and sometimes also moisture- its good to grow), its just that the type of mould in cheese and how it affects it makes it good, and not toxic- thats unlikely to be the case in cheesly or they'd be marketing it already.
#5 Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

once there is visable mould on something, there are mould spores throughout it- even if not in large enough amounts to see.

Thanks, I'll be more careful next time. I'm not at home to check a packet but I hope Cheezly will freeze/defrost fine. I can then chop up the blocks into 1/4's to make them more manageable.

I'll also try a non-pink box to store them in. If it still goes pink then something seriously weird is going on. I also can't believe I've been as slow as I have been re: mould formation. I do conservation at university so deal with all sorts of mouldy things. I think my dissertation is seriously starting to affect my ability to process information well ha! Come the 12th of April, I hope I will have resumed normal service, or will have gone entirely bananas.

Cheers guys,
#6 Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine started to go a bit purple. I don't buy it anymore, I don't eat it often enough so it ends up getting thrown away.
#7 Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

You can freeze cheezly, so if you don't use it much just buy a pack, cut it in half (or whatever) wrap it and freeze it.

Monsterbeans: I've seen plenty of pink bacteria developing in kitchens (usually around automatic dishwashers), but never in a fridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page