Is the upcoming general election really a done deal? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2010, 05:37 AM
Banned

So it looks like May 6th we'll have to cast our votes. The polls all show Cameron and the Tories way, way ahead of the pack. If this trend continues then Cameron will be the new PM and the Conservatives will be in power.

But is it really a done deal? The tories don't really seem to have a platform other than soundbytes. The Lib Dems are out on the fringes once again with nothing new to add. Can Labour resurrect themselves in the next few months to actually win this election?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2010, 06:19 AM

I find it so depressing. I'm quite sure that Cameron is getting in and I read that the Tories are planning on lifting the ban on fox hunting. I couldn't believe it when that blonde buffoon became Mayor of London. I know lots of people that don't even bother to vote because they don't think politics has an impact on their lives. You can't argue with that logic!
#3 Old 01-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Banned

Once again the "only vote for Labour or Tories" mentality is preventing parties that could actually do some good from getting in. It's so frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I find it so depressing. I'm quite sure that Cameron is getting in and I read that the Tories are planning on lifting the ban on fox hunting. I couldn't believe it when that blonde buffoon became Mayor of London. I know lots of people that don't even bother to vote because they don't think politics has an impact on their lives. You can't argue with that logic!

The one thing that is bringing me hope is that whenever I encounter someone who says 'I can't wait until Brown and his cronies are thrown out' I always ask 'So what about Cameron and the Tories are you excited about? What policies will they bring in that will solve our current problems?' Invariably they don't have anything to say about the tories or what they stand for. Right now its all about 'hating Labour'. Hopefully people will start to stand back from blaming Labour for everything and take a look at what the Conservatives stand for or what they propose to do (or not do) and make a more balanced choice.
#5 Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Once again the "only vote for Labour or Tories" mentality is preventing parties that could actually do some good from getting in. It's so frustrating!

The Lib Dems have made some progress in gaining more mainstream support but they still don't have anything new to say. The 3rd parties don't have widespread appeal to mainstream voters and therefore focus on niche voter demographics. What do the Greens (for example) mean to an unemployed family in Wigan? Nothing.

Personally I almost always vote for 'out there' parties but then again I'm not very mainstream.
#6 Old 01-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

The one thing that is bringing me hope is that whenever I encounter someone who says 'I can't wait until Brown and his cronies are thrown out' I always ask 'So what about Cameron and the Tories are you excited about? What policies will they bring in that will solve our current problems?' Invariably they don't have anything to say about the tories or what they stand for. Right now its all about 'hating Labour'. Hopefully people will start to stand back from blaming Labour for everything and take a look at what the Conservatives stand for or what they propose to do (or not do) and make a more balanced choice.

Exactly. This is a mood that has been encouraged by the media and their corporate masters for a long time. Personally I don't have much faith in the electorate, so I don't think they will wake up in time to smell the rat. And even if they did, then 4 more years of Labour really isn't going to solve any of the major issues anyway.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#7 Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I expect the Tories will win the next election. That's what everyone thinks so that's probably what's going to happen.
#8 Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I expect tories to win but one can dream. It;s the first election I can vote in
#9 Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Banned

Tories lead is slipping so now its looking like a hung parliament which is bad news for everyone

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...t-1884627.html
#10 Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 AM
Beginner

Good, the whole bunch of parasites could do with hanging

Seriously though, if there is a hung parliament, why is that necessarily bad news for everyone ? I can see it as inconvenient in one sense - but then whilst the politicians are busy sorting out the mess they wont have time to implement any more stupid laws and generally reduce our freedoms, which is a good thing surely?

I made a list - and its a short list - of what I want in the party I'd vote for. The three main parties scored 0; worryingly the BNP scored a half point (doing something about immigration) but I've since added an extra item to the list ("Mustn't be a bunch of racist [bleep]s") and now they are in last place.

And unfortunately, the three main parties plus the BNP are likely to be the only choices I get

TTFN,

Jon
#11 Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Banned

No, a hung parliament means nothing gets done. The problems we face now will continue to be problems and those problems will worsen. Businesses will lose confidence in the country as will other countires, people will not want to invest in a country that is stagnating (and stagnation = going downhill financially). A hung parliament is actively bad for everyone.
#12 Old 02-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Ex-*****

Some of us might think (or at least hope) a crisis situation like that might trigger some much needed real change, though. Unfortunately, history shows that the kind of political movements that grow and thrive in environments of failing democracy are often oppressive and authoritarian.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#13 Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the Tories will win, because as you said Mr Falafel, everyone is thinking 'God, Brown is rubbish chuck him out' with no thought to the replacement. I'm thinking about the replacement and I don't really feel all that groovy with any of the choices. I have no idea who in supplement to the Big Three will be in my area. If I (well my parents, the 2005 election was the year before I was eligble) recall correctly from last time, it was UKIP, the BNP and the Greens. They seem to be the standard in my area for local elections.

I had the unfortunancy last time I voted to be greeted by an old childhood friend, wearing UK flipflops and helping his mate canvas support for the BNP outside the portacabin. I let my Dad do the arguing because I was so angry I thought I would thump this lad. I also found out that a boy who 'has a crush' on me voted BNP in the local elections. Not that he has a chance against my long term relationship regardless of his political compass, but we are good friends and I knew he wasn't politically aware but was very disappointed that he had been so influenced the BNP. Lads his age seem to have been too influenced by their parents reading/watching right-wing rubbish. When I was 13, I thought the Daily Mail was a good paper. Thank JC I grew up and got a brain of my own, and then changed the brains of my parents in the process.

Anyway. A friend of mine, who was quite conservative (small c) once told me she had read that its beneficial for governments to alternate every election, as they can then spend the term sorting out the mess the other party got the country into. She was being serious...I just can't see how that would make sense. Nothing would ever get done, and they would just spend millions of pounds centralising/de-centralising power and the whatnot.

Sigh. I think I'll wait to see who is a candidate in our area. Hopefully at least one smaller party!
#14 Old 02-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it'll be a hung Parliament, with both sides rooting for the Lib Dems to crown them.

I don't really have the trust in any kind of top down government to really write much else. Not only do many Tories want to bring back blood sports, some also want to get rid of the minimum wage.
#15 Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

The tories wil have to get the Lib Dems on board to pass any kind of legislation. How weird will that be?

But it's an interesting situation. Voters now have a choice of re-electing Labour or voting for Tories and a hung parliament that would seriously mess up this country no matter what political party you support.
#16 Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

^ Welcome to America. Would you like Red Candidate or Blue Candidate?
#17 Old 02-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope the Tories don't get in . A lot of people of my generation don't have any idea how bad Thatcher and Major were, but I had a terrible childhood under them. I'm getting angry now thinking about Tories and what ***** they are, I hate it how people can be so self serving and blind to the needs of the needy.

I'm a bit worried what will happen to the welfare state if Cameron gets in, I'm dependent upon it at the moment.
#18 Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope the Tories don't get in. I can't stand Cameron. I think it'll be a hung parliament. I was going to vote Green this time, but actually I have to stick with Labour in the hope of preventing a Tory Government. I also live in an area where the BNP vote thrives, and that just makes my blood boil. I remember how bad things were under the Tories....
#19 Old 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

No, a hung parliament means nothing gets done. The problems we face now will continue to be problems and those problems will worsen. Businesses will lose confidence in the country as will other countires, people will not want to invest in a country that is stagnating (and stagnation = going downhill financially). A hung parliament is actively bad for everyone.

Actually a hung parliament is probably the best thing looking at the situation right now, you can't say coalitions in proportional systems invariably get 'nothing done'. What a hung parliament will do is bring about accountability and compromise, something our system lacks.

Just think about how much harder this will make it to reverse the hunting ban with both Labour and the Dems opposing it.
#20 Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero52 View Post

Actually a hung parliament is probably the best thing looking at the situation right now, you can't say coalitions in proportional systems invariably get 'nothing done'. What a hung parliament will do is bring about accountability and compromise, something our system lacks.

Just think about how much harder this will make it to reverse the hunting ban with both Labour and the Dems opposing it.

But that's not how it works. Votes for legislation will be 'horse traded' between parties and individual MPs looking to feather their nest. 'Hey I'll vote to repeal the hunting ban if you vote for my local health care bill'. It will chaos and a free for all.

The worst part would be the effect on the economy. A hung parliament will mean very little action to tackle the mountain of debt the government has incurred. This would be very very bad for jobs, funding, public spending and more.

"If a new government does not act swiftly to cut the budget deficit, there is a real danger the markets will sell off," said Steven Major, head of global fixed income research at HSBC.

And the most scary prediction:

But it is not just the bond markets that could lose patience with the politicians in the event of deadlock in the Commons. Moody's, Standard & Poor's and Fitch, the world's three leading credit rating agencies, have warned the UK government that it faces the prospect of losing its top-notch triple A status unless it reduces its debt. This would spell disaster for the UK as it would prompt a sell-off in gilts prices and sterling as international investors took flight because of serious questions over the credibility of the UK economy.

The above could mean the value of the Pound plummets making petrol, food, housing pretty much all prices skyrocket while reducing the value of your savings and decimating the job market.

No, a hung parliament would be a very, very bad thing for all of us.
#21 Old 02-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

What Mr. Falafel says is absolutely right. I worked for Labour in the 90's, and have seen those trade-offs being done over a drink. It's a real "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" scenario if we get a hung parliament.

What scares me the most is the lack of delineation between the parties at the moment.
#22 Old 02-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
The above could mean the value of the Pound plummets making petrol, food, housing pretty much all prices skyrocket while reducing the value of your savings and decimating the job market.

So, if you don't want 5 years of Labour, don't like the conservatives either, and voting for anybody else runs the risk of a hung parliament, well ... then whats the point of voting :-(

Hung parliament causing the financial parasites responsible for the current mess go elsewhere ? Tell you what, I'll buy their flamin' one way air tickets ! If the value of the pound falls, that promotes local sourcing (= good for jobs, good for environment) and good for exports. House prices are dictated by how much someone is willing/able to pay, so dont see them skyrocketing. And as for savings, you shouldn't be saving anyway as those things you _thought_ you were paying for via National Insurance are most likely denied those who have savings.

The sooner I can get out of this miserable parasite-ridden bureaucratic jobs-worth freedom-denying dictatorship and move to France the better.

Viva la revolution!

Jon
#23 Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Banned

I don't see how someone can be for massive unemployment, skyrocketing inflation, a huge cut in public services and a worthless currency but I guess it takes all kinds....

You know those big office buildings in the major cities? Imagine if half of the people in those offices lost their jobs. Would they all find work hauling carrots from Anglesey to Birmingham? Really?

How about retired people on a fixed income? Imagine if that fixed income could now only buy half of what it buys today? What if people on the dole couldn't afford to feed their families as the pound devalues? Imagine the NHS trying to treat the country with its budget effectively slashed in half as the currency can't buy what it used to? Why would somebody wish this on their fellow citizens?
#24 Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 AM

Well I for one would kill to see proportional representation in this country.

Thatcherism would not have happened in a hung parliament, she would have had to pass her legislation by labour which would have stopped the absolute injustices we saw under that monster.

Such strict party unity in Westminster also means that essentially anything Cameron wants to pass, he can, this is really quite scary.

The phrase 'elected dictatorship' sums up perfectly what we have in this country, the Prime Minister has way too much power and I'm all for this being curbed, through a hung parliament if necessary. It'll be a sad day when the hunting ban gets overturned and realistically that is the only scenario where it might not happen.
#25 Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Banned

Well having the fox hunt ban in place won't do any good if there's no money in public coffers to pay for policing or prosecuting of those who flout the law....
#26 Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 AM

This is true. I think the whole thing is slightly overblown to be honest and gives the Tories another excuse to roll back the welfare state. Granted it's bad but I think they really need to be careful, particularly with the effect it'll have on the economy.

I'm always thankful we don't live in the US or somewhere with even Democrats being what we would call pretty Conservative.
#27 Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 AM

Just seen on your profile you're from America! That was a pretty big generalisation and I didn't mean everyone, just meant attitudes in general. No offence intended!
#28 Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Banned

In my mind, the Tories are just as bad as New Labour so it's really not a big deal who takes over. But what I am concerned about is the financial implications of a hung parliament. While I do not support either the Tories nor New Labour, I would much rather see one of those parties elected with a clear majority than have a hung parliament while we are in the current financial predicament.
#29 Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero52 View Post

Just seen on your profile you're from America! That was a pretty big generalisation and I didn't mean everyone, just meant attitudes in general. No offence intended!

Don't worry about it, I actually agree with you
#30 Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 AM

I think there will be more of a policy gap if/when the Tories come to power - their back benches are still filled with a lot of the Section 28 crowd, Cameron being one of them. You should read this article by Johann Hari if you're interestedi:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1888688.html

The phrase 'wolf in sheeps clothing' comes to mind.

You might like his columns actually, he's got two weekly slots in the Independent and writes for the Huffington Post occasionally. He's a really intelligent guy who makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page