VB Meetup Day (1st November) - South West meetup - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 09-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone interested? I was thinking maybe Bristol or Bath for ease of access, but that might be awkward if there's people from deeper into the pointy bit who want to attend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I might be interested if others are. Although I am new, not sure whether it would be weird or awkward.

Bristol would be easier for me to get to, and I'm more familiar with it, as long as it's somewhere fairly central.
#3 Old 09-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll be happy to make a fool of myself so everyone else can point at me and laugh, thus distracting attention from anyone who feels awkward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

The only way I'll be able to go is if it's in Bournemouth.

I'm not very helpful am I?

#5 Old 09-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

That's not quite South West
#6 Old 09-06-2009, 03:08 AM

I was asking Duke Nukem about a Midlands meetup, and he suggested that Bristol is actually a bit easier (than Oxford) to get to from Brum. Bristol's an easy train ride for us, so if there were some people interested in coming there, we could bump up the numbers by 2.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 09-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm quite happy with Bristol, if it works out for most people.
#8 Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I live very close to bath (and hence quite close to bristol), but I'm normally very busy (and VERY shy) and I post very little so you might not want me lol since I don't know anyone.

ETA: but if I could make it I'd be intrested
#9 Old 09-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know anyone either. I'm also extremely good at bringing shy people out of their shells - which is probably because I'm basically shy myself, but just manage to compensate for it very well.

Be a bit poor if these things were just about meeting people you already know. I hate cliquey groups, so I'd hope it would be very open, welcoming and inclusive.
#10 Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd go thinking about it as an opportunity to make friends with like minded people rather than just a board meet up. It seems as though it would be a smaller group which will make things easier and less daunting.
#11 Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 PM

I would attend if in Bristol, but I'm a friendless n00b on here. </3
#12 Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Well seems like a fair few people are up for Bristol. Any suggestions on where to meet up?
#13 Old 09-09-2009, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Youre pretty spoilt for choice nowadays in bristol.

There is cafe kino (all vegan, except for crazy option of milk in drinks). They do all sorts, and on weekends they do a fry up which is amazing, and somehow, doesnt make you feel all bloated afterwords!

http://www.bristol.vegangroup.co.uk/articles/516.html
#14 Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Cafe Kino, but it might be a struggle to get seats at the weekend if we get a few people turn up. Somewhere with a bit more space might be a plan?
#15 Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Cafe Kino is trés yum. They have a decent sized space in the basement, so they might hold a table for us, if we phone ahead. IS and I (I think) have only been there, and to Cafe Maitreya, which was well, not good. (and wicked expensive)

I've heard nice things about Demuths, but it's is Bath rather than Bristol.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#16 Old 09-10-2009, 01:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Cafe Kino is trés yum. They have a decent sized space in the basement, so they might hold a table for us, if we phone ahead. IS and I (I think) have only been there, and to Cafe Maitreya, which was well, not good. (and wicked expensive)

I've heard nice things about Demuths, but it's is Bath rather than Bristol.

Maitreya is superb. You must have had a bad day. It's expensive, but the food is consistently excellent, the service great, and the staff really pleasant. It is expensive though, can't argue with that.

Demuths is OK, but a bit underwhelming for the price.
#17 Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 AM

That's interesting. It would be well near the bottom of my "veg restaurants I've visited" list. Yeah. Hm.

#18 Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's interesting. It would be well near the bottom of my "veg restaurants I've visited" list. Yeah. Hm.

Wow. Hope it's not gone down hill. I've eaten there loads, and it's always been a benchmark for good quality veggie eating.
#19 Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I really didnt like the selection at Maitreya, and demuths, altho good, is way too expensive for me!

I wont be coming to the meet, i was just trying to help (?).
#20 Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know any of these places. Where in the hugeness of Bristol are they?
#21 Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't tried any of the Bristol places but personally I'm very skint so cheap = good if you ask me! Demuths in bath is nice but too pricey for me, and they have a vegetairian pub there too, the food is basic, edible but certainly nothing special if you want nice food. So I'm not much help !
#22 Old 09-18-2009, 10:30 AM

Sounds like Cafe Kino is the place, maybe? It's pretty central, so shouldn't be hard to get to for anyone. If we're worried about space, I can call ahead.

#23 Old 10-17-2009, 04:20 AM

Anyone still in? Cafe Kino or Maitreya? Someplace else? http://www.bristol.vegangroup.co.uk/articles/516.html

#24 Old 10-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure my finances will permit it unfortunately, which is a pain! I'm planning on moving to Bristol in June and it would be cool to know where the good places are.
#25 Old 10-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:

..Cafe Kino or Maitreya ...<or somewhere else>

I guess putting a stake in the ground is required.

Looking at the menus, Maitreya looks "inventive" but quite pricey, whereas Cafe Kino has more recognisable and affordable options such as "leek , mushroom, bacon pie" (bacon flavoured something I assume!) and "chunky vegetable chilli", plus looks reasonably central.

Then there is the "what time" ; 5pM would allow a couple of hours being sociable before no doubt young young 'uns went of to a club or something.

TTFN,

Jon
#26 Old 10-17-2009, 03:35 PM

Hey...are you going to be able to join us?

#27 Old 10-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

How much is the food likely to be?
#28 Old 10-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Ex-*****

I'm going with IamJen. So who else is coming?

I vote for Cafe Kino! (Or really any place that is not Maitreya.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post

How much is the food likely to be?

Not really sure, but assuming we're going to Cafe Kino: Have a look at the menu. They don't have prices for their "specials" (which are the dinner dishes?), but most of the other things have prices. Based on this I'm guessing you can get a dinner for about £10 or less. If you don't want dinner, then I would think less. The prices seem fair to me, but then I'm probably not the best person to judge food prices ...

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#29 Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm planning on coming, all being well.
#30 Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I really want to, but really can't. Sorry guys, maybe next time?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page