Thinking of moving out and need alot of help. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-29-2009, 05:03 AM

I want to move out of my somewhat parents place and I was just wondering how much money would I need to do so. I don't have much saved, but I really and getting sick(under-statement) of this place.

Don't mind where you are I just need a rough idea so I can get my plan in action.

If you have any places that are near you that are cheap for renting and will take in a dog as well, would be great if you would share them with me.

If any of you have any other advices, I could really do with some, as I scared s**tless about doing this, it would be a great help.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2009, 05:55 AM

You might take a look at Gumtree to get an idea of rents in your area. Or, just a stroll through town to look in the letting agents' windows. You might try sharing a place with someone. Do you have any mates that would want to join in with you?

I have to say that Oxfordshire, while pretty nice = not cheap.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 08-29-2009, 06:02 AM

Well I was hoping to see if the money I have at the moment is enough for me to move away.

Not sure of the location yet. I really just hoping you guys could give me ideas of the places you guys live in, as I don't know what places are like. And you usually can't really tell unless you are asking a person that lives there, rather than reading facts about the place.

Cheers Jen for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-29-2009, 06:05 AM
Banned

It really depends where you want to go, what type of property you want to live in and whether you're working or are a student. The only place I've ever lived is London so here's my advice if you want to move here:

My brother lives in a place that's sort of like student halls, except he isn't a student. He has his own room and shares a kitchen and bathroom with about 6 other flats. It costs him about £90 a week which is his rent plus all bills. This is in Lewisham, SE London - not the safest or nicest place, but he's near the shops and rail station/DLR and the building itself is very safe. In contrast my mum and I pay £895 a month for a 2 bedroom flat in Mottingham, which is like 10 minutes away from Lewisham.

I work for an estate agents in Limehouse, where a crappy 1 bedroom flat with no view will cost you about £220 a week minimum. Also, if you don't have a large or steady income, estate agents will require you to have a guarantor. This is somebody with a steady or large salary who will sign a document to say that if you don't pay your rent, they will pay it for you. If you parents don't want you moving away, you might find it hard to find a landlord who will take you on unless your salary is 3x the annual rent they're asking.

You will need to pay a month's rent in advance, and usually 6 weeks' rent on top of that as a security deposit. This will be returned to you at the end of the tenancy if you leave the property in a reasonable condition. You might be expected to pay the estate agents for the contracts they draw up, which will probably be around £200 - 300. It's non-refundable. You'll also need two references from people who know you to say you're reliable and such. One can be a personal reference like a friend or relative, the other usually needs to be an employer or senior colleague. If you're a student, something from your tutor or group leader should suffice.

Apart from Limehouse the only area I know is SE London, since I've lived here all my life. You can get very cheap places in Plumstead. The reason they're cheap is the area isn't too nice, but as long as you don't go walking around the streets at night on your own you will be fine. The places are really big and you can get a lot for your money. Lewisham is similar, and there are a lot of studenty-type places in Lewisham/New Cross which will be cheaper but probably not as nice as flats intended for professionals.

Stay far, far away from Woolwich, Brixton and Thamesmead.

In London you will pay for proximity to train stations, the 'greenness' of the area and safety. If somewhere is very cheap and seems too good to be true, it IS too good to be true and there is a catch. Please feel free to PM me or facebook me about any properties you look at around here, I know most areas well and I can tell you how safe they are and things like that.
#5 Old 08-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

If this is your first time renting you are going to need a guarrantor, which is basically someone who will sign a form saying that if you don't cough up the rent, they will. My dad has done this for the last two places I've rented, both of them required it.

We got our place through an estate agent. We had to pay £50 each to have contracts drawn up but there wasn't too much hassle.

I think you will have a really hard time finding a place to rent that will allow you to have a dog. You also need to think about how much it will cost you on top of everything else to look after him/her. It's not just food, it's vet bills and all the rest. I've had hard times looking after the guinea pigs at time (of course whatever happens I'll always find the money from somewhere) and they're not supposed to be in this flat either. Thats a long story about our liar of an estate agent though

The deposit for the place I'm at now has practically destroyed me! I'm lucky enough to have a student loan to help me out with it. I had to pay 6 weeks rent, which was £600 and then had to pay the first months rent in advance which brought the total to £1000. That is a lot to get together and that was just for one room in a 3 bed flat in Putney, London. My other two flatmates had to do the same.

You then have all the initial costs of moving in. 2 weeks into our new place we got our fixed water bill, which was just over £200 for up until March. It's a good price for water but it's annoying because you have to pay it up in advance. We're on top up electric and gas in this place, which has few benefits. The good thing is that you don't get landed with a massive bill out of the blue (in our place last year we ended up with a £350 gas bill) and you can see how much electric and gas you're using as you go along. Unfortunately it is is more expensive and a pain in the arse to keep topping up, especially if you don't have a shop near you that does it. A lot of rented places to this when tennants go in debt with their bills. At the moment there are 2 people in this flat and we're spending £2.50 each on electric a week and less for gas. We're both very aware of it though and it's also summer. In the winter I'm guessing it will cost a lot more as lights will be left on for longer and we'll also have to put the heating on. We then have the TV licence which was £142 split between 3 and the internet.

Oh and don't forget council tax. I don't pay it as I'm a student, but it's expensive. Apparently here in Wandsworth we have pretty low council tax, so definitely worth taking that into consideration.

I definitely reccommend sharing with people, I can't imagine paying all these things myself.

There's the other little stuff you need when you move into somewhere new, stuff that you don't have but make life a little easier. I'm guessing if you're moving out of your parents you will have to buy a lot of stuff for the kitchen, living room and bathroom that you don't have. Honestly don't underestimate the costs for buying new saucepans, cutlery, plates, bathmatts, bins etc. It all adds up. Maybe buy these and put them in storage before you move.

It's great living in London, but it is very expensive. Everything is just that little bit more expensive and travel costs can go crazy if you don't keep an eye on how much you're spending. Putney is a pretty expensive area to be renting in, but what we're paying (£100 each a week) seems to be pretty low for the area. Around this part of London, reasonable areas seem to be Southfields, Tooting and Wimbledon. Try to avoid areas where there is a lot of student accommodation. Landlords will match their prices to the most expensive places the uni offers but unlike the uni, you have to pay bills on top. This might just be student houses, but my last place was horrible to live in.

When you're looking around the place, try not to get too excited and really look carefully. You'll be surprised at the things you don't see when you've got your excited goggles on! I reccommend choosing a flat over a house, I feel much safer in this new flat and it's just so much easier to keep on top of.
#6 Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a 1-bed flat here in Aberdeen which is up for rent and ready to move in!

you'd need 1-months rent + 1 months rent as a deposit.

Council tax

Electricity / Gas

TV license

your own bedding and towels etc

laundry costs if you don't have washer/dryer access

home contents insurance - you will not be covered by your landlord's insurance

phone bill (landline and mobile) plus internet

car parking costs (if you have such a thing)

obviously now you're standing on your own 2 feet you will have food bills - how much do you think your diet at the moment costs? (I'm assuming your parents do the shopping, apologies if not)

travel costs - no more free lifts off the parents

plus money for all those parties you'll be having . . .
#7 Old 08-31-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

You might take a look at Gumtree to get an idea of rents in your area. Or, just a stroll through town to look in the letting agents' windows. You might try sharing a place with someone. Do you have any mates that would want to join in with you?

Yes. I know some people that will only live with veggies and vegans and obviously I would imagine that would be more desirable and on Gumtree there are sometimes people saying they have a house and would like a veggie non-smoker to rent a room. You would think hopefully people like that would be more inclined to not mind pets.

I have actually never rented myself. I have only lived at home with my Mum and then in halls at uni and now have a mortgage so I can't really give you much advice but I hope you are able to get a better living arrangement Ming. ((Hugs))
#8 Old 08-31-2009, 07:48 AM

Oh! I just remembered that there's some sort of "VeggieRoommatesUK" or something like that too. It was one of those things that I came across in a magazine, but it didn't apply to me, so it kind of hung around in the back of my head until now.

Maybe, ming, if you're interested in a roomie, you could look for something like this.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

If you don't mind a shared house, I have a room in Lincoln - £60 a week including all bills and internet access. The guys are not vegetarians but are very nice. PM me if you are interested x
#10 Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I have to say that Oxfordshire, while pretty nice = not cheap.

Sharing a place sounds like a good idea. Might make it easier. Thanx Jen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

I have a 1-bed flat here in Aberdeen which is up for rent and ready to move in!

you'd need 1-months rent + 1 months rent as a deposit.

Council tax

Electricity / Gas

TV license

your own bedding and towels etc

laundry costs if you don't have washer/dryer access

home contents insurance - you will not be covered by your landlord's insurance

phone bill (landline and mobile) plus internet

car parking costs (if you have such a thing)

obviously now you're standing on your own 2 feet you will have food bills - how much do you think your diet at the moment costs? (I'm assuming your parents do the shopping, apologies if not)

travel costs - no more free lifts off the parents

plus money for all those parties you'll be having . . .

Oooo....Aberdeens too far, my sis wants to try and visit now and again (so she says), else it would have been great. *sigh*

I pay half of the bills in the house I live in now and the shopping now and agian. That all mounts up to about. £400+ a month and thats not including my dog.

Hopefully selling the car, won't be able to afford it. So travel will cost me depending on the place. Very true.

I have a question though.

How does 'Council tax' work?

Thank you to all of you for the advices and offers.
#11 Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

not sure about 'saff of the borda', but in Scotland each property is assessed and given a council tax banding - the council then has a charge for each banding. Your own individual circumstances may then allow you to get a discount - for example people in full time education are exempt, people living on their own get a discount etc
#12 Old 09-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Just thought since most of the rents people have posted have been for London you might like to know that the rest of the country isn't nearly so expensive. I paid £195 a month in a massive house (share) in Nottingham. I got a good deal, but a lot of people pay a lot more than that a week in London. Edinburgh was around £300 a month 2-3 years ago. You'll end up paying a lot more if you want to live on your own, but house shares can be great fun. I know some places will take dogs for a one off fee (usually around £100-200 I think), others will just take them, most just won't I'm afraid.
#13 Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Thanx lurker and yally.

Yeah house share does seem alot of fun yally. I'll have to see I suppose.

I'm hoping I won't have to live alone in an unknown place. Scary.
#14 Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

I have a thread about a room I have in Barnet, which is in North London. I'm looking for £450 a month including all bills. I haven't decided what I'm doing about deposit yet, but allow for a months rent.

Heres a pic of the room: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3880829773/

I'm not really keen on having a dog, but if it was clean, well trained and your responsibility it should be ok. (I like dogs I just worry it would make a mess)

Send me a message if you're interested and I can answer any questions!

Kathy
#15 Old 09-05-2009, 04:02 PM

We pay £430 per month rent for a three bedroom terraced house in Derby (yes, that's a whole house, being up north the rents are a lot cheaper than London). It's council tax band A (the cheapest) which is just under £100 a month for ten months, then you get two months off. Gas and electric vary with the seasons but are about £20-30 per month each at the moment, anything up to double that in winter, and the water is £20 per month. No TV so we don't have to pay for a licence.
#16 Old 09-06-2009, 02:36 AM

<<<feels a little sick reading the above post.

#17 Old 09-06-2009, 05:09 AM

Thanx cadellin, I'll sure keep that in mind.
#18 Old 09-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:

<<<feels a little sick reading the above post.

I used to live in Oxford so I know what you mean. I was sharing a house right out near the ring road with three other lads, my share of the rent was £250 a month and that was 8 years ago.
#19 Old 09-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

This isnt what you want to hear, but id say stay with your folks for as long as you can!!
#20 Old 09-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingster View Post

I want to move out of my somewhat parents place and I was just wondering how much money would I need to do so. I don't have much saved, but I really and getting sick(under-statement) of this place.

Don't mind where you are I just need a rough idea so I can get my plan in action.

If you have any places that are near you that are cheap for renting and will take in a dog as well, would be great if you would share them with me.

If any of you have any other advices, I could really do with some, as I scared s**tless about doing this, it would be a great help.

Thanx

How old are you?

Depending on your age (you have to be YOUNG enough but 16 or over) you may be able to move into something called a Foyer (but they may not take dogs - maybe worth asking though).

The standard of Foyers varies across the country despite there being a Foyer Federation (http://www.foyer.net/) but they are a useful stepping stone into more independent living. They offer:

> A private, lockable room. There is usually a room check every week (the staff can do this whether you are there or not as it is written into the Licence Agreement - which is a legally binding agreement that gives less rights than a Tenancy Agreement), but this should be at or around a certain time on the same day each week. But some Foyers do not respect your privacy at all - if this is the case you can make a complaint.

> Staff to give you some level of support. The level of support varies.

> Cooking facilities. These may be shared with other residents

> Shower(or/and bath) and toilet. These may be used by other residents but will usually be for one person at a time, with a lock on the door.

You do not need a deposit (usually) to live in a Foyer, and if you are claiming benefits (and the staff should be able to help you claim), you may be able to get full Housing Benefit.

There will usually be a separate service charge that is NOT covered by Housing Benefit. This may only be small (the most I've paid in a Foyer was around £8 a week).

You will not have to pay any extra bills.

You will not usually have to pay rent until your claim for Housing Benefit is sorted out, BUT depending on the location of the Foyer, you may need to have money available to get to the Jobcentre to make a Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) claim and make sure you save some for "signing on" (visiting the Jobcentre to say what you've been doing to look for work) the next week then every fortnight.

If you are stuck for food, Foyers often have links with local charities so may be able to help. Alternatively, you can apply for a Crisis Loan.

There will be rules that you will have to follow, and under a Licence Agreement it is easy to evict you without giving much notice if you don't follow the rules. For example, you may be required to start training/education.

The staff should help with claiming benefits, but here is the number for claiming JSA and the number for making a Crisis Loan:

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA): 0800 055 6688. It's not much money but it will stop you starving to death.

Crisis Loan for food: 0800 328 341. recently I've seen stuff saying you need to get a form from a Jobcentre to apply for one, but try this number anyway if you decide to live in a Foyer and have made an application for JSA. If it's no use, try asking the staff what you need to do, or call the JSA number and ask someone on that line.

Check the age requirements for living at a specific Foyer before deciding to move into one. You will usually have to have an interview, and there may be a waiting list (but there isn't always one).

---------------------------------------

Also I don't know which country you live in, but at http://www.shelter.org.uk/ , there is a useful link about leaving home under the 'Find a place to live' section in the England and Scotland versions of the website.

----------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekaterine View Post

If you don't mind a shared house, I have a room in Lincoln - £60 a week including all bills and internet access. The guys are not vegetarians but are very nice. PM me if you are interested x

This is a really good price for a house in Lincoln (I once lived in Market Rasen, which is an hour's bus ride or a 20 mins(ish) train journey from Lincoln) and had to go to Lincoln Jobcentre.

But you (mingster) need to make sure you have plenty of money if choosing a house share, and a way to continue paying bills, as house shares will not normally accept people on benefits (though Hekaterine might, I don't know). You may also need to agree some ground rules with Hekaterine and her housemates too. Lincoln's in the county of Lincolnshire, in the East Midlands region of England.

I've lived in two Foyers, I've claimed benefits, and I've even previously been homeless. Now I'm living in my own flat. So if you need any more info, feel free to ask me (preferably via private message so I don't have to search for your post)!
#21 Old 09-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Beginner

Newcastle/Gateshead rents are realy cheap and it's a nice friendly place if your leaving home for the first time. It's got good night life, plenty of parks for dog walking and your also close enought to the country side to jump on a bus and have a day out with you dog as well. But the drawback is there isn't that much work around at the minute.

I moved away from home when I was 19 straight into a shared flat and while I did have loads of fun I did struggle as I didn't work for the first six months that I was down here. If I was you I'd try and save as much as possible and make sure that you have a job that allows you enough money to pay your bills, eat and have some left over for some fun as while leaving home is great being skint isn't.
#22 Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 AM

Closing thread, as the op's situation has changed.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page