Whaling - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I was sent an email asking me to sign a petition to stop the government in the Netherlands from banning Sea Shepherd from their seas. Of course, my first reaction was to sign, but as I read on I realised that Sea Shepherd had broken their signed agreement to act without violence. It seems that they have illegally initiated violence against the Japanese, who were whaling legally.

I don't know where this leaves me. I've asked my bf, an omni, and he says to petition (which I find ironic), but I can't justify supporting any violence, whether it's against humans or animals.

Basically, I disagree with both sides, but in general I am of course on the side of the anti-whalers. Should I petition anyway, even though I don't agree with their violent tactics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I might not have put this in the right place. Just in case, I'm copying it to AR+W
#3 Old 07-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I've copied it from the Activist one.

I was sent an email asking me to sign a petition to stop the government in the Netherlands from banning Sea Shepherd from their seas. Of course, my first reaction was to sign, but as I read on I realised that Sea Shepherd had broken their signed agreement to act without violence. It seems that they have illegally initiated violence against the Japanese, who were whaling legally.

I don't know where this leaves me. I've asked my bf, an omni, and he says to petition (which I find ironic), but I can't justify supporting any violence, whether it's against humans or animals.

Basically, I disagree with both sides, but in general I am of course on the side of the anti-whalers. Should I petition anyway, even though I don't agree with their violent tactics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Banned

Why did you want to sign the petition in the first place? Everybody knows that the Sea Shepherd uses direct action to stop whaling. Were you aware of that?
#5 Old 07-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of violence?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, to be fair, I don't know what kind of violence, because the email came from Sea Shepherd supporters so they tactically didn't say. But the point is that they've breeched the contract, and you can take direct action without doing that. I just think that it kind of gives us a bad name if we go on supporting them when they can't play by the rules. . .

But then again I'm torn because my instinct is to keep them there to stop the whaling. . .
#7 Old 07-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Banned

Perhaps you should consider what exactly 'violence' means to you, and what forms of 'violence' would yuo consider ok and which you would conisider not ok. For example, using violence to kill a whale hunter at home would be unacceptable to most people. But using violence to break a window at the office of a company that makes its money from whaling may be acceptable to many. How would you feel about breaking a window?
#8 Old 07-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToulouse View Post

It seems that they have illegally initiated violence against the Japanese, who were whaling legally.

My understanding was that the Japanese are not whaling legally. There has been an international moratorium (i.e. stop) on commercial whaling since 1986 which prohibits commercial whaling, and in 1994 the IWC voted to establish the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary surrounding Antarctica inside which all commercial whaling was banned. Japanese whalers continue whaling under the guise of science both in the sanctuary and other places.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#9 Old 07-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought that, although commercial whaling is banned, the Japanese get away with it because they say it's for research purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Perhaps you should consider what exactly 'violence' means to you, and what forms of 'violence' would yuo consider ok and which you would conisider not ok. For example, using violence to kill a whale hunter at home would be unacceptable to most people. But using violence to break a window at the office of a company that makes its money from whaling may be acceptable to many. How would you feel about breaking a window?

I would have to say that breaking a window is still unnecessary, even if it doesn't hurt anyone. It just gives people a reason to have a go at us.
#10 Old 07-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToulouse View Post

I thought that, although commercial whaling is banned, the Japanese get away with it because they say it's for research purposes?

I would have to say that breaking a window is still unnecessary, even if it doesn't hurt anyone. It just gives people a reason to have a go at us.

There is no right or wrong answer in the violence debate there is only what people feel is right for themselves.

I'll take another analogy to explain where I'm coming from on this subject: If I was in a harbour and saw a whaling boat that I knew was just about to set sail the next morning to go kill several dozen whales and I saw a way to sink that boat with no sailors getting hurt, I would gladly sink that boat rather than let it go off and kill whales.

My reasoning would be that whaling companies have to make a profit to stay in business. If they don't make a profit, they won't hunt whales. So, by sinking a whaling boat their profits would go down. They would also have their insurance premiums go up as well as having to hire security to ensure their other boats are not sunk. All of this decreases their profitibality and increases their chance of going out of business which could mean less whales are killed. So, by sinking a whaling boat (an illegal act of violence) whales could be saved in the short and long term, hence its justifiable to me.
#11 Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

What I have seen on the show has been the crew throwing stink bombs and following whaling ships. I haven't seen any violence, but if they are, good for them. Whalers are committing acts of violence and murder daily... so in a sense when you surround yourself with such horrible acts you should be open to getting in return what you immerse yourself in. Law of attraction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page