should i call the humane society to report my neighbors chained dog? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

i heard barking this morning and didnt bother thinking about it twice but it is now 4pm and i still hear this barking. so i looked out my window (second floor) and the ppl behind me have their pitbull looking dog tied to a tree with a chain. (i have pix) the dog jumps around and gets caught in the chain and the owners walk by it without even paying any attention to it.

why i am hesitating calling the spca is because of the dog breed. if the owners refuse to change the dogs living conditions, they may just sign the dog over and this the breed of the dog is usually given a week at the most to be adopted before it is put down.

i dont want to be responsible for it being put down, and i dont want to see it being treated how it is. so im kinda stuck here.

what do you guys suggest i do.

i was thinking about sticking a letter in their mailbox explaining the fines for chaining the dog and the damage that can be done to it. and if thier is no change, the spca will be called.

do you think that might work?

(after looking at the pix i dont see any water or food out for it.)

here are pictures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Call them just be anonymous.
#3 Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you should find a suitable location for the dog then rescue it unbeknownst to the neighbors or the authorities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

I think you should find a suitable location for the dog then rescue it unbeknownst to the neighbors or the authorities.

lol so i should steal it?
#5 Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerlove View Post

lol so i should steal it?

If that's what you want to call it.
#6 Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

i dont want to take the dog away..i just want it in better living conditions. but im going to do the letter thing and if they do not do anything about it, ill find it a home
#7 Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Call the SPCA and see how long a chain needs to be for a dog left outside. It is not illegal for a dog to be chained up outside as long as it has room to move around, shelter from the sun and rain, water. That chain looks way to short though. how long is that dog chained up every day?
#8 Old 05-13-2009, 11:37 PM

Are the owners home? If they are, and this is happening still, I would talk to them about it, rather than send a letter. But I agree on holding off calling for the dog unless you are sure something is up.

Hope it all goes well!
#9 Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBon View Post

Call the SPCA and see how long a chain needs to be for a dog left outside. It is not illegal for a dog to be chained up outside as long as it has room to move around, shelter from the sun and rain, water. That chain looks way to short though. how long is that dog chained up every day?

yeah the chain is very short and he was out there all day. i think they just got the dog because i have not seen/heard it before today. its night now and its too dark to see if its out there or not.

Quote:
Are the owners home? If they are, and this is happening still, I would talk to them about it, rather than send a letter. But I agree on holding off calling for the dog unless you are sure something is up.

Hope it all goes well!

im a pretty shy person, thats why i wanted to do the letter thing. plus i dont know how much english they speak. but i will probably end up knocking on their door and asking them about the dog if things stay the same.
#10 Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 AM

Regardless of how long the law says a chain should be, this isnt a bike or car we're talking about - its a dog, clearly in distress, and clearly mistreated. It shouldn't be chained at all

Call the (whatever your equivalent of the) RSPCA (is) and they'll decide whether its being mistreated or not. Sometimes they wont accept anonymous calls - they didn't when i called, but they didn't disclose my details (it was someone I knew). If they take it to a shelter, you can always give them your details and arrange something yourself if they can't find a home for him.
#11 Old 05-14-2009, 03:36 AM

Keith Mann started his wonderful road to animal liberation with a similar situation. On his way to school everyday, he would see a rabbit in a neighbours garden in a hutch too small for it, and in obvious distress. So Keith called the owners, sent letters and went round to ask for them to give the rabbit more attention and better living conditions. Needless to say nothing changed, and Keith decided to take matters into his own hands and he actually took the rabbit one night.

Personally I don't think animals should be chained up, so it doesn't matter what length the chain is. I've dealt with the RSPCA about animals being chained up and to be honest I don't get far with them.

Take action!
#12 Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 AM

If it were me I would try and see if I could find a local no-kill shelter or someone who was willing to adopt the dog (explain the situation thoroughly) then call the SPCA. When they come and get the dog you can then either pay the adoption fee yourself (to then take the dog to a better home at the no-kill shelter) or have the new adoptive parents that you already found go in and adopt the dog.
#13 Old 05-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh my gosh, that is awful! You definitely need to do something. I'm guessing you don't really know these neighbors well? So talking to them about it is probably not something you want to do. I would call your local rescue center and work with them on it. They should have the details on how to go about rescuing him.

Good for you for saving that poor dog!!
#14 Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Beginner

They will be in big trouble especially for no access to water, food and shelter (dog house). I don't see any of that in the picture. I hope something changes. Keep us posted on what happens.
#15 Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Such a beautiful dog. Good for you for looking out for it!
#16 Old 05-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Good on you for trying to sort it out! Be careful if your going to personally talk to the neighbours, because if they don't do anything, if you do further action, they may know it's you.

Just to remind people, you can view this forum logged out. Perhaps certain suggestions should be kept to PM, lol. (coughs).
#17 Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Forgot to say this but this really pulls on my heartstrings too because other than the coloring (the pic shows a blue colored pit) she looks exactly like one of the APBT we have here...Roxy. Roxy is brindle where that pup is blue. Roxy came from the Humane Society and was abused prior to staying there :9
#18 Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Sadly I think writing them letters is just wasting time. If they cared about the dog they wouldn't have it tied to a tree with no visible food, water or shelter. That chain is so short that if food/water was in the dog's reach we would be able to see it in the photos. They obviously, sadly, don't care about the dog AT ALL, and getting a letter is probably not going to change that. I think you should find someone who is willing to give the dog a good home, and then call the SPCA to take the dog (and have that person go in and adopt him/her). Good luck. This dog needs help asap.
#19 Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks for your words everybody. im going to call my local no kill pound and speak with them about it. i dont know the owners at all but im still going to talk to them. if they get mad at me w/e cuz im moving next month :X

last night i noticed that they took the dog inside. but its back out there on the tree again today with no water or food and its rather warm day today.
#20 Old 05-14-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:

thanks for your words everybody. im going to call my local no kill pound and speak with them about it. i dont know the owners at all but im still going to talk to them. if they get mad at me w/e cuz im moving next month :X

last night i noticed that they took the dog inside. but its back out there on the tree again today with no water or food and its rather warm day today.

If there's a time that they're not there I would really suggest going over there and putting out some water at the very least. What's the worst that can happen-- they try to take you to court for trespassing and then they get caught neglecting their dog?
#21 Old 05-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

wouldnt this suggestion be in violation of the TOS: promoting illegal activity. Justify it anyway you want what you are doing is promoting theft of property and as such are in violation of the TOS of this board and the laws in your area and the OP's, anyone in agreement with you and vocolizing that is also in violation of the law in regards to conspiracy to commit theft.
#22 Old 05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yeah the chain is very short and he was out there all day. i think they just got the dog because i have not seen/heard it before today. its night now and its too dark to see if its out there or not.

im a pretty shy person, thats why i wanted to do the letter thing. plus i dont know how much english they speak. but i will probably end up knocking on their door and asking them about the dog if things stay the same.

If this is something you feel strongly about first and foremost find out what exactly the laws in your area are in relation to canine ownership. These laws vary from state to state, and even county to county.

If the people are in violation of the law, you can contact them and express concern, contact local animal control (many areas AC is a part of the local PD) if situation continues contact Humane Society.

I would not recommend as others have stealing the dog. That is theft and as such you can be prosecuted for that action.
#23 Old 05-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Banned

MOD POST: please do NOT encourage anyone to break the law by stealing/kidnapping an animal. regardless of anyones personal feelings about animals as property, the TOS is pretty clear, as is the law.
#24 Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaletto View Post

I agree with Eleven.

Thanks.

I did too but, evidently, it has been stricken from the record.
#25 Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 AM

The placement of the chain at the top like that seems cruel to me.
#26 Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally I would call the shelter to have the dog picked up or ask them to at least speak with the owner. That is of course if you cant find a no kill shelter to take on the matter. I realize your worried about the fate of the dog if you do call, but it doesnt appear to be good either way, at least if they come take the dog, it will have an opportunity to be placed in a better home. Those pictures are heartbreaking! That leash is NOT long enough...and why the heck is it hung from a tree limb, the dog cant even move side to side!!?!
#27 Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 AM

I just looked at the pic and realized that what upsets me also is that there is a children's easel near the dog. I hope they aren't letting their children see how poorly they're treating this animal!
#28 Old 05-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

I would not recommend as others have stealing the dog. That is theft and as such you can be prosecuted for that action.

Not if you don't get caught.

Keep us updated on what happens. That's a gorgeous dog. He should at the least have shelter and water.
#29 Old 05-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

Any updates?
#30 Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

wow, sad. i would call. sometimes it's not about the individual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page