Know anything about Vegan Outreach Organization? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I think this is the correct area to post. I'm still not sure how I feel about personally doing activism or outreach (leafleting, etc) but I'd like to explore that. I came to veganism on my own through reading and researching and when I think of leafleting I think of religious groups or sex shops handing me pamphlets I don't want. So from my perspective I'm not sure that leafleting works or that I have the personality to be right out there on the front line so to speak.

That being said, my vegan group here on LI has some experience with leafleting on college campuses with Vegan Outreach (www.veganoutreach.org). I was wondering if anyone here has had experiences with Vegan Outreach or leafleting in general and could give me their experiences, thoughts and feelings about it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had very good luck with VO pamphlets and other veg pamphlets. Many times I have passed out pamphlets with people, with Meet Your Meat playing on a screen in the background. You always get some negative comments, but you get a lot of positive comments too (like, "thanks for being out here and doing this"). One thing that has happened a number of times (honestly it's happened so often that it's not unique): someone will stop by and say that since the last time we were out there and they got a flier or watched the film, they haven't eaten meat - so I KNOW that it affects people. Even for the people who say something negative or whom you think aren't affected, remember that for many people it takes multiple exposures to something before it sinks in.

It's a very non-threatening way to do activism. Although I have to say you do have to toughen yourself to some negative comments - no matter what you do in public, someone will want to be negative and make it known to you - that's just a given. In my experience there are more positive comments and interest than negative, but for some reason the negative can strike more deeply.

You can say, "Would you like a pamphlet about vegetarianism?" before handing it to them, so they can make the choice (re. your concern about handing people fliers they don't want).

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#3 Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I think my meet up group's organizer is going to organize a leafleting campaign at the local community college. Maybe I'll go ahead and try it out. I'll never know until I try it right? I'm also a little nervous that some people will ask me questions that I might not have a great response for...and then I'd look silly. I need to just get over it. Speak from the heart and you can't go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

If you wanted to do any "prep," one thing that I recommend is learning more about the standards that various animals on farms are subjected to (like, What are the conditions that pigs live in? What happens to male chicks? etc.), so that you can provide more info:

http://www.factoryfarming.com

http://www.whyvegan.com

But, you know, you don't have to debate with anyone. Answer what you can, and direct them to do more research (you can make a sheet with some animal sites listed to pass out, too, for people who are curious and you can't answer specifics yet). You can say you're learning more about it too.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't worry about people asking you questions. I have handed out over 300,000 Why Vegan pamphlets, and almost no one ever stops to ask anything. In the rare cases when someone does ask something, it is usually pretty simple. Like, "How long have you been a vegetarian?" And of course, if they do ask something harder, there is no shame in telling someone that you don't know. So, I don't think you should feel like you need to do a lot of time doing research before you leaflet. I have a close friend who is probably one of the least knowledgeable guys on the planet, yet he is one of the most successful leafleters in Vegan Outreach's history.

By the way, community colleges are typically not as good for leafleting as bigger colleges. At a community college, there is much less pedestrian traffic, and at a community college, I think there is a higher probability that security might ask you to stop leafleting. So, I would recommend trying a larger college as your target.

And in terms of effectiveness, I routinely run into people who tell me that they are now a vegetarian or a vegan because of a "Why Vegan" pamphlet they received from me. When dealing with a young audience, we estimate that you will get one new vegetarian for every 50 pamphlets that you hand out.

By the way, Vegan Outreach has their own discussion list for leafleters at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AdoptACollege/

-Eugene

http://ar.vegnews.org
(My animal rights FAQ)
#6 Old 03-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

So, I don't think you should feel like you need to do a lot of time doing research before you leaflet. I have a close friend who is probably one of the least knowledgeable guys on the planet, yet he is one of the most successful leafleters in Vegan Outreach's history.

I agree - not feeling "knowledgeable enough" should not keep anyone from getting out there and leafleting.

Quote:
And in terms of effectiveness, I routinely run into people who tell me that they are now a vegetarian or a vegan because of a "Why Vegan" pamphlet they received from me.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#7 Old 03-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Hi Heidi

Vegan Outreach is wonderful organization and to date I think they have most likely handed out more flyers than almost any other group. The tips and advice on their website are unvaluable - I highly recommend them as a great resource and support system.

Best of luck!! :-)
#8 Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Outreach sent out their ten millionth booklet last week!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 04-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I like them. Their booklets are appealing, rational and professional. If you're too shy to approach others directly, VO booklets are excellent for tabling, displays, and the like.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page